Brotherhood in Death by J. D. Robb

Brotherhood in Death

by J. D. Robb

HARDBACK,1ST EDITION, like new
  twylyghtbay | Apr 10, 2017 |
Unlike many of the latest In Death series, this book was not light reading. LT Eve Dallas is called tohelp Dennis Mira, husband of Dr. Mira, the NYPSD psychiatrist and close friend of Eve. Dennis had been knocked out at the home of his late grandfather; a home he had promised not to sell. He visited the house to talk with his cousin, Sen. Edward Mira, who was intent upon selling. Upon entering the home Dennis saw his cousin sitting beaten in a chair right before he (Dennis) was knocked out. Upon awaking, his cousin was gone. However, Edward was found the next day, hanging from the old home's chandelier, bloody, tortured and very dead. It became Eve's job to find the killer. However, the search lead to Eve dealing with the scars of her own horrific childhood. Who were the murderers and who were the victims? Eve needed to stand for all. It was a hard book to read at some points. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Mar 19, 2017 |
When Dennis Mira waked into his late grandparents' home to confront his cousin Edward over his desire to sell it it's with anger in his heart, an angr that is alien to the mild-mannered husband of Eve Dallas's psychologist friend Dr Charlotte Mira. Things go wrong for DEnnis as soon as he finds his cousin tied up but before he can do anything to help, he is knocked unconscious and it's left to Dr Mira to call in Eve with her concerns. But no-one realises what a can of worms would be uncovered by Eve's investigation. And will Eve be able to handle the fact that the victims she had to stand were even more guilty than those inflicting the pain on them.

Liked 'Devoted', this book deals with a violent series of crimes, this time spread out in time rather than space, and by-and-large not dealing with death, at least officially and I liked the moral ambiguities present in the guilt of the victims on both sides of events.Like most of this series I really like the way Robb catches 'real life' dialogue between the characters. ( )
  JohnFair | Sep 22, 2016 |
This book was very hard to read.

Let me qualify that a bit: I love J.D. Robb's In Death series; I've loved it ever since I stumbled across the first book ([b:Naked in Death|479309|Naked in Death (In Death, #1)|J.D. Robb|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333326143s/479309.jpg|1097497]) in a hospital gift shop as a teen. I love that its content is out there in the world and out there so successfully, something I don't think would have happened (at least not on such a high level) years ago. I love that there is a strong, compassionate, female character out there that has been endowed with a realistic PTSD/childhood trauma & rape trauma aftershock character arc in an enriching way, a way that doesn't center on her pain or as her as solely a victim of that pain but tells her story and tells of her experiences in a valid and powerful way. I love Robb's/Robert's ability to give us truly affecting characters and believe it is this ability that makes each character's appearance feel like a wonderful reunion with someone we've come to know well, admire, enjoy, and respect.

There are books in the In Death series that I have enjoyed more than others and there are some that I've felt disappointed in. That's to be expected in long-running series in my opinion and, as each book gets read and reread a plethora of times, it's easy to say that this will continue to be a favorite series long after its new publications have ceased.

The reason this book was such a hard read is that it was written so well. I would say it far surpasses the majority of the series' recent books. The psychology of the crimes committed had the depth that first drew me to the series and the beloved characters featured in this novel (the Miras) served to make it all the more intense. But the levels of the crime, the nature of those committing the initial crime, are grotesque at their cores and it was hard to stomach it, even in fiction.

While this grotesquery was hard to stomach personally, it was balanced well. It wasn't just the depth of the crime that felt back up to par for me. I felt that Robb was back to her old self in writing our beloved characters, in bringing us into the enticement, interplay, and emotion of Eve & Roarke. I was emotionally wrung and deeply satisfied in reading Eve's and Mr. Mira's interactions and fell so much more in love with Mr. Mira upon the realization that Charlotte Mira had in fact not disclosed anything about Eve's past and he was loving towards her for all these years because it was simply his nature.

Robb's ability to cover the psychology of the crimes and criminals of her In Death series as well as Dallas' personal psychology is wonderful. But what truly captures my loyalty to this series is the depth of her characters; how well she is able to write a father figure, as with Feeney and Mr. Mira; how well she captures the similarities and contrast of friends and friendships, as with Peabody, Mavis, Nadine, Louise, and others; how well she captures the unique bonds of relationships as with Eve and Roarke, of course, but also in Peabody and McNab, Charles and Louise, Morris and Coltraine, and the myriad we have seen over the years. This book feels like a renewal of all that I love about Robb's In Death and I fervently hope that this renewal continues.

Eve Dallas has been an important character in my life; I believe she is an important character to have out there in the world, the world of books and otherwise. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
As with every one of J.D. ROBBs "in death " series, I have read them all and will continue to read all of them as they come out.

BROTHERHOOD IN DEATH,Eve faces her demons when she finds wealthy & influential men hung, beaten, sodomized and then killed. It gets personal for Eve , very very personal. Mr.Mira as she calls him is related to one of the victims.

Eve stands for all victims and will always stand with the victim but this time she's having trouble standing for the dead men. (read and find out why)

This Eve Dallas takes a dark turn. It disturbed even me. It is so intense with the emotions of Eve & other characters. This one will stand out among her many stories. This does not detract from the fact that JD ROBB has continued & will continue (I hope) to bring Eve, Roarke & Eve's friends & fellow officers in print.

Even after reading forty two of Robbs in death series i still crave more. The author draws the reader into her stories whether they discuss issues that are dark like BROTHERHOOD IN DEATH or whether we get to listen to Peabody talk about McNabbs sexy ass, we want to read more. Robb has more to write and Eva Dallas has more to say & do. ( )
  DDJTJ1 | Sep 6, 2016 |
Loyalty to the dead had him traveling to SoHo in icy rain rather than heading home.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,108,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible