A Pitying of Doves by Steve Burrows

A Pitying of Doves

by Steve Burrows

A bit difficult to get into this one, but it did seem to have more birding than the previous one (or that could just be my memory). The writing is a stilted style, flowing than jolting across details or character perspective to make me re-read to fully catch what happened. At least chapters are used as chapters should: to indicate breaks in time and/or place. I doubt this book would work well in audio form. My other observation: the narrator relied heavily on the girlfriend's perspective on this book, almost a crutch of narration I wonder. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
This is the second book in the Birder Murder Mystery series and it gives us a little more insight into the main character, CI Domenic Jejune. Still lots of questions though so I guess I will have to keep reading the series.

Domenic Jejeune is Canadian and a birder who is now living on the Norfolk coast of England and working as an inspector for the Norwich police force. He lives with journalist Lindy Hey who is not a birder but respects his passion for the subject. When a double murder takes place in a bird sanctuary all the police crew figure Jejeune will be happy to work on the case instead of wishing he was birding. One of the people killed, Phoebe Hunter, managed the shelter while also doing her Master's thesis on Turtledoves. The other person was a diplomat from the Mexican Embassy with no known ties to birding or Phoebe. So Jejeune has to solve this crime while negotiating the rocky shoals of international politics. When it is discovered that two rare birds, Socorro Doves, are missing from the sanctuary it becomes clear that Jejeune's avocation and his job will mesh. When it appears the murderer has been found Jejeune and Hey take a much-needed vacation in St. Lucia where Jejeune's past catches up to him. Something he learns in St. Lucia gives him a clue about the British crime and a tense oceanic flight is undertaken.

Interesting tale but I am not as interested in doves as a species as I was in the first book about bitterns. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jul 22, 2017 |
I enjoyed the first half of this novel much better than the first book in the series: things happened, actual detecting went on, people were interviewed, it was actually quite fast-moving. But... then it sort of fizzled out. Weeks went by. Jejune eventually went on holiday. Jejeune was his usual uncommunicative self; I cannot stress too often what a nightmare he would be to work for. And then there is his bizarre relationship with Lindy, which I find utterly unconvincing - they seem to have no idea who the other really is and don't particularly like or relax around one another.

The solution to the plot was left slightly unknown, but the motivations were in any case a lot of a stretch. I was distracted by the mystery of what exactly Jejeune's brother had done to make him so notorious across an entire continent. ( )
  pgchuis | Oct 18, 2016 |
I was asked to review this book by Real Readers and what a treat as I had previously been asked to review the authors debut novel – a Siege of Bitterns by Real Readers.

This is Birder novel 2.

For readers who have not come across this author, this is murder on a different slant – this is a story set around bird watching and in an interesting setting in Norfolk. The author has an interesting background pursing bird watching on five continents and editor of bird watching journals.

Inspector Domenic Jejeune returns still not mad keen on policing as he would rather be bird watching. Another murder a senior attaché of the Mexican Consulate is found murdered alongside the director of a local bird sanctuary. (Thus a another dilemma for Jejeune as this means that with the directors death there is a position now for a research position studying birds) His moral duty is to solve the crime and solve it he will.

A great read by this new up and coming author whose love of bird watching is infectious to the reader. His style of writing is good. The descriptions of the Norfolk coast are absolutely stunning.

The author cleverly uses a few twists and turns and as there is a third book on the horizon so there is room for the characters to develop further.

A thoroughly recommended read. ( )
  mexico24 | Apr 5, 2016 |
This was my first Birder Murder Mystery and I quite enjoyed it! I wouldn't say it blew me away but it was an easy read with a few neat twists and turns. The characters were fairly well rounded and even though this was the second book in the series it didn't seem to matter that I hadn't read the first. There was a good smattering of birding information for those who are interested but not enough to irritate any readers who are not!
I did have an issue with the author using the word 'gotten' several times (a very personal annoyance that one!) even though the book was primarily set in England, while bizarrely the other thing that really irritated me was the continual affirmation that the scene was set in North Norfolk! Perhaps I'm being hyper critical but little niggles like that do tend to put a damper on the overall enjoyment of an otherwise good read. ( )
  lesleystyles | Mar 27, 2016 |

When a senior attache with the Mexican Consulate is found dead alongside the director of a local bird sanctuary, many details pique Inspector Jejeunes interest, including a vacant field research position: a full-time job studying birds. Is this the escape from policing that he has been looking for? But first there's a murder to solve.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,450,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible