In the Labyrinth of Drakes by Marie Brennan

In the Labyrinth of Drakes

by Marie Brennan

Other authors: Todd Lockwood (Illustrator)

Series: Lady Trent's Memoirs (4)

UGH, I love this series. If you're at all interested in the Victorian era and dragons and women trying to overcome conventions and prejudice and break into the field of science, this book is for you. Lady Trent is witty and endearing and determined and headstrong and totally terrible at keeping herself out of danger and I love her. She is relatable, despite the extreme differences in our lives.

Go pick up A Natural History of Dragons so we can talk about it!

Also, I know the fifth (and final! -sob-) book is out but I'm making myself wait to read it till I can buy the paperback. The wait is torture because this volume had so much going on that I need to know more about, but it also prolongs the end of what I feel is a fabulous series. ( )
  MillieHennessy | May 7, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the additional installation in this series. A winning combination: historical fantasy, lady scientist fighting gender expectations, studying dragons. I like the development of some of her relationships, finally learning how she got her title, and the big discovery. Can't wait for the next one! ( )
  chavala | Dec 28, 2016 |
Description: In the Labyrinth of Drakes: the thrilling new book in the acclaimed fantasy series from Marie Brennan, as the glamorous Lady Trent takes her adventurous explorations to the deserts of Akhia.

Thoughts: Another solid installment in the tales of Lady Trent! This one is a bit lighter on the dragonology (but not much) and heavier on the political, cultural, and personal happenings, but it's still a lot of fun to tag along with Isabella and Tom whatever they are doing.

I will admit that, given the setting of the story, I was sure we would be bumping into Suhail at some point and I was not disappointed. I was a tiny bit surprised that they got married as soon as they did, as I was sure the books were going to drag that story out a while, but I am thrilled that the rest of the books in the series will probably include Isabella, Tom, AND Suhail, my favorite dragon/archeology exploring team! And hopefully Andrew too because he's a superb brother!

As always, look forward to the next adventure!

Rating: 3.83
Liked: 4
Plot: 3
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4
Audio: 4
  leahbird | Jul 10, 2016 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.
allthingsuf.com

Marie Brennan has created a literary banquet in the Lady Trent series, with IN THE LABYRINTH OF DRAKES as the piece de resistance. A delicate blend of science, romance, and adventure, this is a book readers will sigh, smile, and clasp to their chests when they're done.

A love song to scientific discovery, personal fortitude, and the romance of discovering an unknown world, IN THE LABYRINTH OF DRAKES brought back all of the excitement of our own world's "ancient history" with a dollop of magic to make things interesting. Alongside a familiar layer of pseudo-British history, culture, and prejudices is the very real mystery of draconic biology. Fans of the series will find long hoped for personal and professional milestones for Isabella, as well as the familiar physical graces that make these books a must have on the shelf (gorgeous illustrations and presentation).

I finished book three in this series, THE VOYAGE OF THE BASILISK, thinking it was my favorite Lady Trent book to date, and now I find myself saying the same about IN THE LABYRINTH OF DRAKES. This is a series that just gets better and better, and hopefully with no end in sight.

Sexual Content: None. ( )
  Capnrandm | Jul 2, 2016 |
***This book was reviewed for the San Francisco Book Review****

In the Labyrinth of Drakes is Brennan’s fourth novel in the Lady Trent series. This time she and Tom are headed to Akhia, to head up the Scirling Royal Army’s efforts to breed desert drakes in captivity. Arriving brings her many surprises.

In Akhia, Isabella is reunited with Suhail, her archaeologist companion who had also travelled aboard the Basilisk. She learns he is the brother of the sheikh the Scirlings must deal with. This brother does not think highly of either Isabella, believing her a bad influence to Suhail, or of Suhail’s interest in the ancient Draconeans.

With the help of the Aritat nomads, Isabella and Tom delve into desert drake behaviour and habitat, even going out into the desert itself to observe mating flights, clutch-laying, and hatchings. Amid all of this comes intrigue and sabotage that put Isabella and Tom in serious danger. Between poisonings, kidnapping, and assassination attempts, it is all they can do to stay safe as they carry out their task.

Fighting to keep their project going, though the military considers it a failure, Isabella and Tom, along with Suhail, head into the deep desert, where they make several discoveries that will rock the scientific world on many levels. These discoveries win all three great acclaim, though not nearly so much as is truly warranted. Tom is knighted, when he should be raised to the peerage. Isabella is named Lady Trent, but still she is denied a place among the Colloquium.

I absolutely loved this book, and devoured it in a day’s reading. It flowed much better than Voyage of the Basilisk did, and did not have an abrupt ending. It is left open for more adventures from our trio and I cannot wait for the next one!

As with the previous books, if you like things anthropological, or things dealing with naturalism, if historical fantasy tickles your palate, if adventurous accounts akin to The Lost City of Z arrest your attention, then look no further! Marie Brennan's In the Labyrinth of Drakes can slake that thirst. Come, walk in a world where dragons dwell, and learn the secrets of the natural world. ( )
  PardaMustang | Mar 1, 2016 |

Marie Brennanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, GregDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, RhysMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I suspect a percentage of my readership will see the title of this volume and expect the entirety of what is contained herein to be devoted to a certain discovery that took place in the Labyrinth of Drakes. (Preface)
There is very little pleasure in being snubbed over a task for which one is well qualified.

The thrilling new book in the acclaimed fantasy series from Marie Brennan, as the glamorous Lady Trent takes her adventurous explorations to the deserts of Akhia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 11:28:04 -0400)

Even those who take no interest in the field of dragon naturalism have heard of Lady Trent's expedition to the inhospitable deserts of Akhia. Her discoveries there are the stuff of romantic legend, catapulting her from scholarly obscurity to worldwide fame. The details of her personal life during that time are hardly less private, having provided fodder for gossips in several countries. As is so often the case in the career of this illustrious woman, the public story is far from complete. In this, the fourth volume of her memoirs, Lady Trent relates how she acquired her position with the Royal Scirling Army; how foreign saboteurs imperiled both her work and her well-being; and how her determined pursuit of knowledge took her into the deepest reaches of the Labyrinth of Drakes, where the chance action of a dragon set the stage for her greatest achievement yet.… (more)

Marie Brennan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible