Princess Bari by Hwang Sok-Yong

Princess Bari

by Hwang Sok-Yong

101880,191 (4)1

Princess Bari is a remarkable coming of age novel that speaks of hardship, courage and determination.
Hwang Sok-Yong writes with poignancy and humour as we follow Bari’s life narrated by Bari in a rational and undramatised way.
A reworking of the Korean mythological story of Princess Bari, an ancestral shaman and the seventh daughter of King Ogu, making it relevant to the 21st century.

Sok-Yong writes of impoverished North Korea and Bari’s remarkable survival in the forests of china, her horrific journey aboard a people smuggler boat to London, the lives of illegal immigrants and women forced into prostitution. Bari comes across many people good and bad and the story speaks of prejudice but doesn’t preach.

Bari at times accepts her life with wisdom beyond her young years.

” I realise that life means waiting, enduring the passage of time. Nothing ever quite meets our expectations, yet as long as we are alive, time flows on, and everything eventually comes to pass.”

Bari’s story is depressing at times however Bari faces what life throws at her with courage and hope. A sobering tale I would recommend to all.

With my thanks to First Reads and Scribe publications for my copy to read and review. ( )
  Ronnie293 | Jan 15, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,974,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible