A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety by Jimmy…

A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety

by Jimmy Carter

Just what I needed! A wonderful memoir by a folksy caring Christian who lives his live following his beliefs. Not my favorite of Carter’s books, but I’m very glad I read it. I learned so much. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 21, 2017 |
Now, to understand my biases upon entering this book, I was not a fan of what the Carter administration accomplished. I thought his presidency was unfulfilled and vastly uneventful. However, this autobiography swayed my opinion of Carter, as I was introduced to him not as a president but as a farm-boy who came to be president of the United States. As I learned his intrinsic motivations and constant desire to be an honest and morally grounded politician in a hugely corrupt system, I gained much respect for the man and the president. I highly recommend this for someone who wants to be informed of a truly honest man's life, or for someone quick to pass judgment, like myself. ( )
1 vote Justantolin | Mar 31, 2016 |
Many, if not all former US presidents have written their autobiographies, so in that sense there is nothing unusual about this Bio written by President Jimmy Carter. What is different though is the fact that this book is written as Jimmy Carter turns ninety and has indeed led, as the title indicates, a full life. I would say the life has not only been very full but also most interesting in its variety. As the author himself says, "in retrospect, ...all phases of my life have been challenging, but successful and enjoyable."

The book is informative, enjoyable, and above all, educational. It may not be a very easy read but it is definitely a book to be read and savored. ( )
1 vote Writermala | Mar 7, 2016 |
Well written, honest perspective of his life and times. Gives a real perspective to the president that made a difference in the world by speaking honestly and working faithfully toward his goals. His actions continue to reveal the man even today. Impressive and thoughtful book.

I'm particularly impressed by his ability to keep a focus on his most important issues. ( )
1 vote deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
At age ninety, Jimmy Carter still has lots to share as he reflects on his life, his accomplishments, and his unresolved business.

Having never read any of Carter's previous books, I was surprised to see an extensive list of his previous works. I thought, "For a guy who has written so much about his life, what else could he offer in this book?" Whereas his other works are focused on particular points in his life, such as his time as a boy working on a farm, or his personal accounts of his years as president, this one reads as a traditional biography. He talks a little about his family's history in the beginning, his life growing up on the farm, and his roles in the world of politics. He is especially reflective of each moment of his life, and shares his thoughts in a down to earth manner that is neither condescending nor unengaging. He is quite clear, and is easy to follow along. You'll have no trouble reflecting on his life right alongside with him.

It's an interesting memoir, and it feels fully fleshed out. If you're interested in specific moments of his life, there is probably a book just for that! ( )
1 vote jms001 | Aug 25, 2015 |

In this autobiography, President "Carter tells what he is proud of and what he might do differently. He discusses his regret at losing his re-election, but how he and Rosalynn pushed on and made a new life and second and third rewarding careers. He is frank about the presidents who have succeeded him, world leaders, and his passions for the causes he cares most about, particularly the condition of women and the deprived people of the developing world"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible