The Admissions: A Novel by Meg Mitchell…

The Admissions: A Novel

by Meg Mitchell Moore

1119108,775 (3.74)1

Ahhh... the Perfect American Family. Gabe is a Wyoming farm boy/Harvard grad with a top-notch job; Nora, a salt-of-the-earth Rhode Islander with a gift for real estate; Angela, #1 in her class and most everywhere else; Cecily, cheerfully at ease and a star Irish dancer; Maya ... well, yes Maya does have that reading disability. And then the tectonic fault lines beneath Marin County begin to push vertical cracks up and out. ( )
  amac121212 | Feb 13, 2017 |
The Hawthorne family is ready to implode due to all the pressures of college admissions, and maintaining an upper middle class lifestyle. I know, I know....who wants to read a book about how tough it is for the fortunate among us? And it's a subject that has been done before. What makes this one shine above the rest is the author made every character sympathetic and relatable. That's not always an easy feat for an author but Ms. Moore pulls it off.

High-pressure jobs for both parents, balancing work and home, the stress and strain of juggling all the balls that keep a busy, high-achieving family afloat...how does it all get done? And what happens when a ball is dropped? Or expectations aren't met? But the book isn't all stress and strain, there's also a large dose of warmth and humor.

The title is a play on words. The eldest daughter is trying to get into Harvard, but every character has a secret they need to admit. Each chapter is told from a different characters POV. I loved the voices of the characters and the thoughts running through their heads. The SAT words were a very clever device, as was mom Nora's e-mails to her sister. The wife's boss and his wife have a heartbreaking secret, with a sub-plot that we don't always know what goes on in someone's life and we shouldn't make assumptions. What we think we know can turn out to be so wrong.

The author made the characters come to life on the page and I was invested in the outcome. This is a fresh take on modern family life that I found easy to read and thoroughly engrossing. There were a few instances that maybe didn't quite ring true (only one college application?) but it didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the read. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
didn't enjoy this one
  LauGal | Aug 8, 2016 |
I could not resist borrowing the audio book when I saw it with all the hypes going on. I think I set my expectation for this book way too high. The title was a little misleading. Yes, the oldest daughter is going through the college admission process but the book is about the entire family. ( )
  JoeYee | May 12, 2016 |
Meg Mitchell Moore perfectly skewers the culture of busyness and overachievement that is so prevalent today. Readers who are parents of school-aged children will find themselves equally amused and horrified by the pressures students face. At the same time, the discomfort they feel at recognizing themselves in Nora and Gabe drives home Ms. Moore’s point. The sardonic humor is biting, but it is the despair under which each member of the family soon strains which strikes the strongest chord within readers. The story is humorously bittersweet while striking a bit too close to home for comfort. More importantly, the message is not only timely but very important and well worth the read.
  jmchshannon | Oct 21, 2015 |
For my parents

The Admissions brilliantly captures the frazzled pressure cooker of modern life as a seemingly perfect family comes undone by a few desperate measures, long-buried secrets—and college applications!

The Hawthorne family has it all. Great jobs, a beautiful house in one of the most affluent areas of northern California, and three charming kids with perfectly straight teeth. And then comes their eldest daughter's senior year of high school . . .
     Firstborn Angela Hawthorne is a straight-A student and star athlete, with extracurricular activities coming out of her ears and a college application that's not going to write itself. She's set her sights on Harvard, her father's alma mater, and like a dog with a chew toy, Angela won't let up until she's basking in crimson-colored glory. Except her class rank as valedictorian is under attack, she's suddenly losing her edge at cross-country, and she can't help but daydream about the cute baseball player in English class. Of course Angela knows the time put into her schoolgirl crush would be better spent coming up with a subject for her term paper—which, along with her college essay and community service hours has a rapidly approaching deadline.
     Angela's mother, Nora, is similarly stretched to the limit, juggling parent-teacher meetings, carpool, and a real-estate career where she caters to the mega rich and super-picky buyers and sellers of the Bay Area. The youngest daughter, Maya, still can't read at the age of eight; the middle-child, Cecily, is no longer the happy-go-lucky kid she once was; and the dad, Gabe, seems oblivious to the mounting pressures at home because a devastating secret of his own might be exposed. A few ill-advised moves put the Hawthorne family on a heedless collision course that's equal parts achingly real and delightfully screwball.
     Sharp and topical, The Admissions shows that if you pull at a loose thread, even the sturdiest of lives start to unravel at the seams of high achievement.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 04:50:06 -0400)

The seemingly perfect Hawthorne family of northern California is tested by Ivy League ambitions, overscheduling, impossible expectations by the Bay Area elite, and difficult personal secrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,572,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible