Don't Call Me Kit Kat by K. J. Farnham

Don't Call Me Kit Kat

by K. J. Farnham

731,138,814 (4.33)None

Starting with the cover it is intriguing and stylish, as an ebook i cannot possibly say is it glossy or matte cover, in my opinion its perfect for the book.

The book is one of "must reads" as the topics are touched importantly by any other teenager and in youth, not only teenage, read if u are a parent and a busy one, let yourself be a way younger than you are as the book has been written perfect from the point of view of main character. It slowly indulges into serious topics one person has to deal with while studying such as eating disorder; family matters - being in the middle of so called family - fine, but one case of so many possibilities;

I do admire the author for creating a picture of a 13 year old and how little situations in one family means a whole world to her. ( )
  ilonita50 | Sep 13, 2015 |
Glorious – The Things I Loved

This story portrays the reality of an eating disorder incredibly well. The recovery wasn’t all roses and sunshine either, it made sense. The struggle was very real and balanced. I never felt like it was either too dramatic or too ‘perfect’.
The struggle to fit in with the scene at school was heartbreaking and done well. Katie doesn’t exactly know why she wants to be friends with the popular crowd, but she does. The pain she feels is very relatable.
Peer pressure is one of the biggest issues with teens and I appreciated how well it played out through the book. I instantly saw how the social scene impacted Katie’s self worth and in turn the progression of her illness.
Glorious Panic – Things I’m on the fence with

The issues with the parents drove me nuts. Almost from the very beginning of the book I had a progressive wish to smack Katie’s Mom upside her head. I quickly wanted to do the very same thing with her father. These issues aren’t smoothed over by any means but I do feel they weren’t addressed enough. One issue with her mother which I found abhorrent was only briefly mentioned.
The event at the party which I can’t go into because of spoilers but once you’ve read may understand. In a way it was dealt with but it was never described as what it almost was.
For me the characters and scenarios that took place did not match ‘middle school’ age at all. I admit this may be because I’m older. That being said, a lot of the interaction between the characters felt much older and more mature than the age given.
Panic – The things I could have done without

The eating disorder and it’s symptoms were described perfectly. Some of the treatment and therapy was described fairly well. My problem came in some of the details. I can’t say specifically because spoilers but there were a few things that took place which in reality would have never happened. Perhaps because of my own history with mental illness I picked up on this more. For me, it completely jarred me from the story.
The very last horrible event which is a combination of the issue I have above and finding it fairly unnecessary. The same result could have come from any number of different scenarios and this felt far too dramatic for me.
This eGalley was provided free from the author through Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion and I was compensated in no other manner. ( )
  Katrinity | Jul 15, 2015 |
Don’t Call Me Kit Kat is a fantastic read for YA readers. The book follows Katie (Kit Kat) through her 8th grade year. While the the main problem in the novel is bulimia, many different issues are touched upon. They include divorce, bullying, body image issues, cliques, jealousy, crushes, social pressure, underage drinking, mental health and suicide. The issues don’t feel forced or preachy, but rather well woven into the lives of the characters. The story is well paced and a good reminder to parents of just how many new pressures, expectations, and uncertainties there can be during the middle school years. I feel like reading the book together with a pre-teen/young teen would help facilitate conversations on a variety of difficult topics. Beyond its educational value, Don’t Call Me Kit Kat is a wonderful read -- it’s entertaining and has a lot of heart. Katie is an easy protagonist to become invested in and root for. She and her friends are legitimately good kids. I’m thankful to have received an ARC of this novel. This is one that I will be saving for my own daughter and probably have her read when she is about 12 or 13. This book would make a fantastic addition to middle school curriculum, psychology and sociology class reading lists, and it would make an excellent mother/daughter book club selection. ( )
  Kristin_Albright | Jun 7, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

K. J. Farnham's book Don't Call Me Kit Kat was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

K. J. Farnham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,703,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible