The Hotter You Burn by Gena Showalter

Their is just some special about The Original Heartbreakers series. I don’t know what it is that keeps me swooning and come back for more. Maybe it’s the small-town feel, the people who all have their own issues, pasts, and hatreds, or maybe it’s just Ms. Showalter’s amazing storytelling skills.

I was pulled in from start to finish and I couldn’t stop listening to the audio book narrated by Savannah Richards.

We are treated to Beck who is friends with Jase and West. They all moved to Strawberry Valley to start fresh, except Beck hasn’t changed his ways. He’s a player, a ladies man, and known as, One and Done. Then we have Harlow who grew up in the home that Beck and his friends now own. She’s lost a lot. Her mother, her home, and no one will give her a job all because of how she acted as a teenager; she was the town bully. She’s different, changed, but no one will give her a chances. No one has forgotten and so they give her a hard time, every chance they get.

The chemistry between Beck and Harlow is scorching. They have sparks from the start, but Harlow knows his reputation and will not be a one night stand and so she will settle for friendship. This book was fantastic. I was laughing out loud one moment and having my heart break the next. I just love the characters, the snarky humor, and those sexy scenes made me sigh with delight. This book is full of snark, steam, and lots of heart.

Narration: Ms. Richards is a wonderful narrator. She captured me. The voices are all distinctive and come across clear, crisp, and well defined. The small-town feels like a small town with it’s own unique people making a living in and around it. Everything from the setting to the characters felt genuine and passionate. I'm loving the audio books for The Original Heartbreakers series and I plan to continue the series in this formate.

Rated: 4 Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
Beck and Harlow are two people with bad childhoods who are intensely attracted to each other. Demonstrated how early years can impact one's ability to have healthy relationships and importance of communication. ( )
  ebrahmstadt | Aug 6, 2016 |
The Hotter You Burn

The Characters:

Beck Ockley
Harlow Glass

The Story:

Beck and Harlow’s story is kind of strange but also wonderful. Beck is a stubborn cus but Harlow is just as stubborn and that’s probably why he loves her. They have their usual ups and downs but man that ending. I loved the chemistry between the two, even when they were arguing you could feel it.

The Random Thoughts:

Beck spent so much money in this book without a thought. It was crazy.

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jan 13, 2016 |
Reformed mean girl Harlow Glass meets unrepentant one-night-only bad boy, Beck Ockley and more than sparks fly.
Harlow Glass has fallen about as low as a body can. The former Queen of Mean dropped out junior year and has been reclusive ever since. Why? Not that anyone has missed her or even cared what became of her. The town of Strawberry Valley is pretty united in their vehement dislike of Harlow. Now, having lost her home to foreclosure after her mother’s death, she’s living rough in a tent hidden on land that used to belong to her. When she uses a “found” key to break into her former home and steal a pie it puts her dead in the sights of one of the new owners, Beck Ockley.

Beck Ockley aka sex walking is smooth, practiced, and devastating when he focuses his considerable charm. One night of bliss and a killer morning after breakfast is what he offers. He knows what to say, how to look, where and when to touch, but more than a night, emotions, or heaven forbid-a relationship simply aren’t in his repertoire; no way, no how, nothing doing. Beck isn’t a fan of change either. In fact, moving to Strawberry Valley, OK with his “brothers”, Jace and West, has been enough change to last him a lifetime, thank you very much.
And then he comes face to face with the woman whose life, chronicled in pictures and placed in a box, he discovered in his room at the farmhouse. The little girl hunched to appear smaller, the defiant teenager, her eyes have haunted him since he saw the first picture. She’s in his house, with his pie in her hands……

From their first encounter and throughout THE HOTTER YOU BURN Beck and Harlow keep readers flipping those pages. Their banter is quick and funny, reflecting how they keep each other on their toes. While some of the push-pull between them is par for the course there are plenty of surprises and situations that keep them from being a predictable paint by number couple with a typical romance.

With a supporting cast that’s just as quirky and unique ~ Are you ready for the zombie apocalypse? ~ playing off and complementing each other wonderfully, readers are skillfully drawn into their lives and the delightful (most of the time) town of Strawberry Valley.

It’s always exciting when a story or character throws you a curve or two and THE HOTTER YOU BURN has that in spades along with some serious bite. It managed to surprise me, tug at my heart, and leave me clamoring for more. Looking forward to where West and the next Original Heartbreakers book takes me….

Reviewed for Miss Ivy’s Book Nook Take II, Manic Readers, and Novels Alive TV ( )
  ivydtruitt | Aug 3, 2015 |
Harlow Glass stood on the porch of a hundred-year-old farmhouse that had more character than most people, wandering daylight wrapping the structure in its loving embrace.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373779690, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter is back with a sizzling Original Heartbreakers story featuring a troubled playboy and the woman he can't resist…

Beck O'ckley is ruthless in the boardroom…and the bedroom. He's never been with the same woman twice, and vows he never will. With a past as twisted as his, meaningless sex keeps the demons at bay. His motto: One and done. No harm, no foul.

Harlow Glass is the most hated girl in town. The beautiful artist is penniless, jobless and homeless. When she sneaks into Beck's home—her ancestral estate—for food, she's shocked by his early return…and her immediate, sizzling and intense attraction to him.

For the first time in Beck's life, he can't get a woman out of his mind. All too soon, friendship blooms into obsession and he'll have to break her heart…or surrender his own.

"Sassy, smart characters and an expertly woven, unconventional plot, The Closer You Come showcases Gena Showalter in all her shining talent. " —Kristan Higgins, New York Times bestselling author

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 06:11:22 -0400)

Beck Ockley, millionaire playboy, has known the pain that love can bring and is determined never to feel it again. Harlow Glass, a vulnerable Southern girl and reformed bully, is trying to rebuild her life now that she's lost everyone and everything she's ever loved. Their chemistry burns white-hot, but commitment, the one thing Harlow wants, is the one thing Beck can't give...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,442,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible