Murder, Plainly Read: An Amish Quilt Shop…

Murder, Plainly Read: An Amish Quilt Shop Mystery

by Isabella Alan

Curl up and snuggle in for this new adventure in Angie's life.

I love a good cozy that creates the perfect scene of the crime, blend of romance and of course the ending that makes you want more. This book did not disappoint me as I began my adventure into the Amish country. You immediately feel a kinship with Angie and the locals in the town, Angie along with her dog Oliver create the perfect novice sleuth couple. Continuing into the book I was hit with how much I longed to view such details again and the nostalgia for Lancaster ( though not it's setting). I felt that this book was able to keep me wanting more on so many levels. I love that this is a series that you can travel in your mind and feel as though your there.

I was given this book for my fair and honest review. ( )
  Bibliophile.Reviews | Dec 25, 2016 |
Enjoyable murder mystery in Ohio Amish town. I liked it but do prefer Lauren Bradford Amish series a bit more. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 19, 2016 |
Angie Braddock, quilt shop owner and township board member, just can't keep away from the murders that seem to plague this small, touristy Amish town. An Old Order bishop is found dead in the local bookmobile. The differences between the Old Order Amish and New were very pronounced in this book. The bookmobile is welcome at a farmer's market near the new Amish pie factory, but unwelcome near the school that houses Old Order students. Angie's quilting circle members and co-workers at the shop are characters that we continue to learn more about, as well her parents' move to town. Alan does a great job at creating atmosphere between the different types of Amish that inhabit Rolling Brook. ( )
  ethel55 | Dec 8, 2015 |
What a Fun Amish Cozy!!

really loved Murder, Plainly Read,part of The Amish Quilt Shop Mystery series. I have missed several books between the first and this, but had no trouble picking enjoying this one. Englischer Angie Braddock cannot keep her nose out of others' business, especially if it involves an Amish friend or two of hers. Can she outmaneuver her controlling, socialite mother; stay friends with her childhood friend, Jonah, whose wife hates her; and dig to find the truth without alienating the handsome Sheriff Mitchell?

This is cozy reading at its best. Isabella Allen provides a murder, without tons of gore. We see a slice of Amish life, but also Englischer and Amish being friends. And did I mention the obligatory quirky characters? Love how distinctly odd some of Angie's friends and relatives are. Whether Willow, who owns a tea shop, has purple hair and makes horrible original teas; to Angie's mother who is clueless to what makes Angie tick, the supporting characters help make the mystery not just dangerous but also a barrel of laughs!! ( And don't forget Petunia the Goat!!)

Well-done, Isabella (Amanda Flower)!! I have found a cozy series to love!!!! ( )
  Becky_L | Oct 24, 2015 |
Murder, Plainly Read by Isabella Alan is the fourth book in An Amish Quilt Shop Mystery series. Angela Braddock is the owner of Running Stitch a quilt shop in the town of Rolling Brook, Ohio. She inherited the shop from her Amish aunt about a year ago. Angie is also a town trustee. She is taking a quilt that her quilting circle made (customer order) to Austina Shaker, the librarian on the bookmobile. Angela gets roped into running the library sale that weekend (someone hurt themselves and cannot run it). When Angela shows up the next day, she finds Austina standing over the body of Bishop Bartholomew Beiler. Bishop Beiler was against the bookmobile and books in general. He felt that they would corrupt the people in his district. When Sheriff James Mitchell (and Angela’s boyfriend) shows up, he is not happy to see Angela at the scene of another murder (she does have a knack for finding dead bodies). Austina is the immediate suspect (she was standing over the body and no sign of forced entry).

Austina asks Angela to investigate the murder and clear her name (actually insists). Anna Graber (a feisty Amish friend of Angela’s in her 60’s) loves investigating and tells Austina that they will take the case. Angela sets out to clear Austina’s name and find out who killed Bishop Beiler. Along the way Angela will have to deal with her interfering and overbearing Mother who decides to help with the book sale (and push Angela towards the alter).

I found Murder, Plainly Read to be so much fun to read. There are times when you will be laughing out loud (especially from the antics of Angela’s mother). It was nice to revisit Rolling Brook, Angela, Anna, Mattie, Sheriff James Mitchell, and the rest of the characters. I found the mystery to be medium level (I solved it before I was halfway through the book) but the author did a good job leaving clues and trying to lead the reader down different paths. Murder, Plainly Read is well-written and is a pleasant way to while away a few hours. I give Murder, Plainly Read 4.75 out of 5 stars (since I was able to figure out the killer early in the book). I cannot wait for the next book in An Amish Quilt Shop series.

I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley (and the author) in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 6, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045147502X, Mass Market Paperback)

In the latest from the author of Murder, Served Simply, an Amish man checks out permanently, but quilt shop owner Angie Braddock’s got this mystery covered…

With so much to do between running her shop and spending time with her new boyfriend, it’s amazing Angie is able to help organize the Rolling Brook library's annual book sale. Luckily she’s working alongside brash librarian Austina Shaker, a lady who isn’t afraid to make waves to get books to her patrons—even the Amish. Unfortunately, this draws the ire of cranky Bartholomew Belier, an Old Order Amish bishop, who publicly vows to ruin Austina.

And she certainly might be ruined after Belier is found dead in her bookmobile. Now Angie must employ the help of her loyal quilting circle—as well as her beloved French bulldog, Oliver—if she hopes to prove Austina’s innocence before the real killer books it…

INCLUDES QUILTING TIPS

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:46:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,976,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible