After the Fall by Charity Norman

After the Fall

by Charity Norman

Who would have thought that emigrating to New Zealand could be so traumatic? Of course, if you're leaving nearest and dearest behind it's always going to be a wrench, but this novel brings to life a whole new menace. Whilst doing so it does justice to the expectations of wildly beautiful terrain and a different culture and way of life.

There was a point when the similarity between this and another book I read recently ("The Ice Twins" by SK Tremayne) troubled me - I mean how many books can there be in which a twin falls head first from a residential balcony? I also feared, from the way the story was going, that the final reveal was going to be much the same. But I feared needlessly, because this story has many a twist and turn that you don't expect.

I found the final chapter stretched credibility a mite, but that was only a very minor negative for me - this book was immensely well written and had me gripped throughout. ( )
  jayne_charles | Apr 23, 2016 |
I loved the Hawke's Bay, New Zealand setting. A very powerful story of a family's struggle with a methamphetimine addicted child. Set in recent times and very real. An excellent read. Cannot wait to read Second Chances. ( )
  Carole46 | Feb 3, 2016 |
We begin in the UK when Martha is telling her father and sister that she, her husband Kit, her teenage daughter and young twin sons, are all emigrating to New Zealand 'to give the kids a better life' but really it's a move driven by Kit - to save him from sinking into a black depression following the bankrupting of his business.

Sacha, the daughter, usually such a content girl, is the only one in the family who definitely doesn't want to leave her friends, her extended family, her school and her new boyfriend to move across the world. And it's Sacha for whom the move goes terribly badly - worse than could be imagined.

My Thoughts:

I really liked this book, and it’s going to be hard to review it without giving anything away.

The family in the story to me could have been someone that I know. They were just an ordinary family and the mother Martha did what she thought what was best for them like any mother would do. However it may or may not have been the best choice.

It’s also about what ifs ! We have all been in situations where we have said perhaps if I hadn’t done this then that wouldn’t have happened. I also believe however that what is meant to be will be no matter what. Destiny is what is it and you just have to get on with it. This is what this book was for me.

The story flowed and was told very well and I found I was pacing through the book quite quickly. I really wanted to find out what was going to happen next. I felt for Martha as she tried her best and wondered would have I have done any better myself. I didn’t guess what Martha was hiding but when all was revealed I can see why she did what she did.

I would highly recommend this book as it was a thought provoking read and very engaging. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 16, 2013 |

In the quiet of a New Zealand Winter's night, a rescue helicopter is sent to airlift a five-year-old boy with severe internal injuries. At first his injuries look like a horrible accident. Only his mother knows the truth. And she isn't telling. Not yet. Maybe not ever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,323,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible