Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of…

Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language

by Henry Beard

Spin.glish, The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language by Henry Beard and Chris Cerf. What fun. I know you have probably not heard a dictionary described as fun. But this one really is. And it is irresistible in this era of spin from politicians, corporations and the media. One needs a translator and this dico does it all for you. You can dive in anywhere and be informed and amused, but it is somewhat distressing that we need such a dictionary.Let me share with you an example. I just opened to the page that includes "one of a kind" that Real-estate agent Kate cocuzzo translates this commonly used advertising phrase as "ugly as sin". That ought to make you laugh. One disappointment I had was when I looked up "not in shareholders best interest" referring to a proposed acquisition. There was no definition but as an investment expert I know what it means: "you didn't offer enough. Up your offer or no deal unless I am made the CEO". ( )
  SigmundFraud | Jun 30, 2015 |

Spinglish—the devious dialect of English used by professional spin doctors—is all around us. And the fact is, until you’ve mastered it, politicians and corporations (not to mention your colleagues and friends) will continue putting things over on you, and generally getting the better of you, every minute of every day—without your even knowing it.
            However, once you perfect the art of terminological inexactitude, you’ll be the one manipulating and one-upping everyone else! And here’s the beauty part: Henry Beard and Christopher Cerf, authors of the New York Times semi-bestseller The Official Politically Correct Dictionary and Handbook, have compiled this handy yet astonishingly comprehensive lexicon and translation guide—a fictionary, if you will—to help you do just that. If you want to succeed in business (or politics, sports, the arts, or life in general) without really lying, this is the book for you! (Your results may vary.)
            Spinglish includes these nifty bits of spurious verbiage and over a thousand more:

aesthetic procedure – face-lift
dairy nutrients – cow manure
enhanced interrogation techniques – torture
 “For your convenience.” – “For our convenience.”
hands-on mentoring – sexual relations with a junior employee
incomplete success – failure
rightsizing – firing people
zero-tasking – doing nothing

With each and every entry sourced from some of the greatest real-life language benders in the world today, you’re virtually guaranteed to have the perfectly chosen tried-and-untrue term right at the tip of your forked tongue. Wish you could nimbly sidestep a question without batting an eye? Not sure how to apologize while also . . . not apologizing? Spinglish has you covered. Simply consult this convenient, shoot-from-the-lip glossary, and before you know it, you’ll be telling it like it isn’t, it wasn’t, and it couldn’t ever have been.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:56:10 -0400)

"An all-you-need dictionary of "spin," with new and useful words for everyday and special occasions, by bestselling humor writers Henry Beard and Christopher Cerf"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,395,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible