After Alice by Gregory Maguire

After Alice

by Gregory Maguire

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (charlie68)
    charlie68: Both explore the madness of 'love'.
    Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis (charlie68)
    charlie68: Both books explore the meanings and absurdity of language in a playful manner.
    The Complete Fairy Tales by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar themes throughout.
    The Light Princess and Other Stories by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar themes in both.
    Phantastes by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    charlie68: It's great book, similar to the Alice books in a lot of ways. The main characters go on a fantastic journey.

Though written in the identical style of the original ( very difficult to follow at times, Gregory Maguire was able to get quite an interesting idea down on paper. I did enjoy it, but my middle schoolers would not get the dry wit or humor that goes with this book. I recommend for a senior in high school, or maybe a very enlightened Middle Schooler ( )
  MrNattania | Jan 26, 2018 |
Ada follows Alice down the hole and only catches up to her at the end. Siam finds his own way through the looking glass and decides he’s reached as good a place as he can get. This was never painful and had it’s own humor so I’m almost ready to forgive GM for the political tract of Wicked. But not really. I knew he could do better because of Stepsister. ( )
  quondame | Dec 27, 2017 |
Too wordy and not a bit interesting to read. Gave up after 31% and decided to try something else instead...

MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Maybe I should have given this one star. I never connected with any of the characters, or really cared what happened to them next. The familiar setting of the Alice stories probably made it worse; if the characters had explored a fresh landscape, at least then the scenery could have been surprising. ( )
  jscape2000 | Nov 28, 2017 |
I was lucky enough to receive this book early through a Goodreads giveaway! I adore Gregory Maguire's books and this was no different. I felt challenged and stimulated and certainly entertained.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

Even though I read the synopsis from the publisher, the name of this book still led me to believe that the events in the book would occur AFTER Alice had been in Wonderland. However, the book portrayed more of a "meanwhile" look at many other people and their experiences over the same space of time that Alice is busy in Wonderland. Despite my initial confusion, I enjoyed the book VERY much. As with Maguire's "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister," I was elated to hear the tale of Alice's older sister and her journey that fateful day. I was also intrigued by the introduction of Ada and Siam as other children who slipped through the veil. It made me wonder what kind of magic was in the air that particular day that so many people ended up in that alternate universe. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |

Gregory Maguireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, AdamCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alice took up the fan and gloves, and, as the hall was very hot, she kept fanning herself all the time she went on talking: 'Dear, dear! How queer everything is to-day! And yesterday things went on just as usual. I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think: was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is, Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle!' And she began thinking over all the children she knew that were of the same age as herself, to see if she could have been changed for any of them.

'I'm sure I'm not Ada,' she said, 'for her hair goes in such long ringlets, and mine doesn't go in ringlets at all; and I'm sure I can't be Mabel, for I know all sorts of things, and she, oh! she knows such a very little! Besides, she's she, and I'm I, and—oh dear, how puzzling it all is!...'

—Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
For Natacha Liuzzi
Were there a god in charge of story—I mean one cut to Old Testament specifics, some hybrid of Zeus and Father Christmas—such a creature, such a deity, might be looking down upon a day opening in Oxford, England, a bit past the half-way mark of the nineteenth century.

From the multi-million-copy bestselling author of Wicked comes a magical new twist on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, published to coincide with the 150th anniversary of Lewis’s Carroll’s beloved classic.

When Alice toppled down the rabbit-hole 150 years ago, she found a Wonderland as rife with inconsistent rules and abrasive egos as the world she left behind. But what of that world? How did 1860s Oxford react to Alice’s disappearance?

In this brilliant work of fiction, Gregory Maguire turns his dazzling imagination to the question of underworlds, undergrounds, underpinnings—and understandings old and new, offering an inventive spin on Carroll’s enduring tale. Ada, a friend of Alice’s mentioned briefly in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, is off to visit her friend, but arrives a moment too late—and tumbles down the rabbit-hole herself.

Ada brings to Wonderland her own imperfect apprehension of cause and effect as she embarks on an odyssey to find Alice and see her safely home from this surreal world below the world. If Eurydice can ever be returned to the arms of Orpheus, or Lazarus can be raised from the tomb, perhaps Alice can be returned to life. Either way, everything that happens next is “After Alice.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 18:21:10 -0400)

When Alice toppled down the rabbit-hole 150 years ago, she found a Wonderland as rife with inconsistent rules and abrasive egos as the world she left behind. But what of that world? How did 1860s Oxford react to Alice's disappearance? Ada, a friend of Alice's mentioned briefly in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, is off to visit her friend, but arrives a moment too late--and tumbles down the rabbit-hole herself. Ada brings to Wonderland her own imperfect apprehension of cause and effect as she embarks on an odyssey to find Alice and see her safely home from this surreal world below the world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gregory Maguire's book After Alice was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,499,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible