The Chess Queen Enigma: A Stoker & Holmes…

The Chess Queen Enigma: A Stoker & Holmes Novel (2015)

by Colleen Gleason

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was underwhelmed by this one. The two main characters are a detective (Miss Holmes) and a vampire hunter (Miss Stoker). Together, they solve mysteries and hunt the undead, as expected. With steampunk, vampires, time travel, and court intrigue, this honestly felt overstuffed to me and I had a hard time liking any of the characters much. ( )
  calmclam | Aug 10, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought the book was fun and interesting, but I wasn't itching to read it. I liked the characters and felt like they were very realistic. I think it sort of dragged out for a long time without any big clues or twists, which made it hard to really get into at first ( )
  AlexandraSullivan | May 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
ARG! This books was so frustrating, but in a good way. Stoker and Holmes have been after the Anka since book one in this series and in this installment she makes another appearance and the suspense was killing me! After the ending of book 2 I wanted to jump into book 3 immediately but had a few other things to read, so when I was able to pick this one up I thought I would devour it. I have to say that these books have a lot of build up - if you are familiar with classic Holmes and mysteries they tend to drag a bit, then BOOM - all the answers appear almost immediately and this is the case with this series but there are also a few minor surprises throughout as well.

Stoker and Holmes are both getting used to working together and you can tell as the point of view alternates that they both still have peeve with the other but are learning to adapt their styles to work well together. I really like their growing friendship.

I also really liked this story, the girls are tasked with keeping a princess safe but all the while trying to find the location of a long lost chess queen piece. It was highly entertaining and as the series progresses I like that the girls are developing relationships with other players in their mysterious locale.

Overall I really enjoyed the book, I plan to keep reading this series as it progresses and so I guess that is a win. ( )
  sszkutak | Apr 26, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book as a Library Thing Early Reviewer.

While this third book in the series may not have advanced the plot very far, it was enjoyable spending time with Mina, Evaline, Pix, Grayling and Dylan. We were involved with more interactions amongst them, and I felt they grew as characters. I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with them and look forward to the next in the series.

The mystery wasn't as chilling and/or spine-tingling as previous entries but did see the Ankh once more as well as more vampires. What dastardly scheme is the Ankh up to? Who's creating these vampires? Will Evaline decide she might be prevailed upon to marry at some point? Now that one side of Mina's triangle is gone, what does the future hold for her? Or will a certain someone return?

Can't wait to see. ( )
  mitchma | Mar 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another great addition to the series. This one didn't quite seem to have the same urgency about it - I didn't feel as propelled through the story as with the previous two. However, it was an enjoyable, light and fun YA read. I look forward to seeing where the rest of the series goes, as well as the relationships between the characters. ( )
  ashleyk44 | Mar 8, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145214317X, Hardcover)

Evaline Stoker and Mina Holmes have reluctantly agreed to act as social chaperones and undercover bodyguards for Princess Lurelia of Betrovia, who has arrived in London to deliver a letter that details the secret location of an ancient chess queen that's been missing for centuries. But when the letter—which will heal a centuries-old rift between England and the Betrovians—is stolen out from under Evaline and Mina's watchful eyes, the two girls are forced into a high-stakes race to ensure they find the chess queen before anyone else does. The Stoker and Holmes series is as culturally popular and compulsively readable as the Sherlock Holmes stories and Dracula were in the Victorian era.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 09:53:55 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Colleen Gleason's book The Chess Queen Enigma was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,093,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible