Killing Weeds by Joyce Lavene
521,436,638 (3.67)None

This is the 8th book in this series and I can tell you right now, you don’t have to have read the previous books to enjoy this one, but you’ll sure want to.

The first thing I liked about the characters was Peggy Lee is close to my age. She’s a grandmother with a husband several years younger than her, but she doesn’t dye her hair, over exercise to stay firm, or hide her wrinkles. She earned them and wears them with pride.

And something that makes me have to go back to the beginning, besides loving these characters, is Shakespeare, Peggy’s Great Dane. I didn’t get to know him much in this book, but I have a feeling he played bigger roles in some of the other books in the series. I’m huge on animals as key characters in stories and I bet that big, lovable cuss had some major parts in some of these mysteries.

There’s more than one type of killing weed in this mystery. You have your flora and your fauna.

That’s something else I really enjoyed. The local police hire Peggy when they need a forensic botanist. This felt a bit like CSI, especially as Peggy’s son, Paul is married to Mia, a forensic chemist. This probably isn’t the first time these two gals teamed up to solve a riddle.

A strange coincidence or just bad luck. This book is about a killing weed, Hogweed, highly toxic and used in a murder. I was out clearing a flower bed and removed a nasty thorned vine. Forgetting to wash my hands, I rubbed my eyes and was in agony for over 2 hours. Couldn’t open my eyes, couldn’t shut them for the fiery pain. They finally cleared up after two days. Shows how deadly plants can be.

This has the usual recipe for a cozy mystery. Fun, colorful characters, a furry friend, and, or course, a murder. One that wasn’t easy to solve. I had an idea, then I didn’t, then I did.

Great fun, which I’ve come to expect from these authors. I’ve read books from a few of their other series’ and enjoyed them too. ( )
  laura-thomas | Jan 27, 2016 |
Wow! The first six chapters of KILLING WEEDS had more things happening than I’ve read in entire books. But it’s not surprising to me that authors Joy & Jim Lavene had my full attention in this mystery so quickly, because they have in every book I’ve read by them.

This was a wonderfully written story with plenty of mystery coming from every direction. There was never a dull moment. I turned each page eagerly awaiting what would come next. The Lavenes have taken the twists and turns associated with mystery and supersized them. When the reveal came, I was completely shocked!

I love that each chapter started with the names of poisonous plants and information about them. It just goes to show the research the authors did for their story.

There was only thing I didn’t like about this book…it had to end.  I just wanted more an more!

Check out the back of the book for Peggy Lee’s Garden Journal, a yummy recipe, and gardening tips for keeping our bee friends happy. ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Jul 13, 2015 |

Joyce Laveneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lavene, Jimmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lavene, Joyce and Jimmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Joyce Lavene is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,265,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible