Bad Karma (A Jack McCoul Caper) by Dwight…

Bad Karma (A Jack McCoul Caper)

by Dwight Holing

The subplots are all interesting and several of the characters very likable. The "bad guys" are as they should be. Things get tidied up quite nicely though I expect Bobby will return to mess up Jack and Katie's life :*) I haven't read the previous Jack McCoul story but this one stood by itself perfectly well. Recommended. ( )
  JaiW | Aug 25, 2015 |
An enjoyable and entertaining read. I would read other books by the author. There was plenty of action and humor to keep me turning the pages. ( )
  kekauoha | Jun 24, 2015 |
I received a copy of this book through Library Thing's Member Giveaway in exchange for a review.
I'm not sure if the author's intention was to present the characters as caricatures but I found them to be so and although somewhat amusing, there were moments of annoyance with this as well.
A few twists and turns to the plot but a fairly predictable ending. ( )
  iris3039 | May 31, 2015 |
The best thing about Bad Karma (A Jack McCoul Caper) by Dwight Holing, by far, were the introductions of his ethnically diverse supporting characters. Unfortunately, after their introductions, their behavior and dialogue simply became cliche. This was quite disappointing.

This proves that holing is quite capable of writing interesting things, which is why I'm so confused by the rest of the book. Just as something actually starts to become interesting, Holing seems to lose steam and the movement just loses steam.

I understand that the book is set in California, where the "pretty and shallow" supposedly reside, but what's the point of writing if you never bother to move past the trite cliche? I spent the entire book waiting for something interesting, only to be disappointed when Holing did nothing with the opportunity.

The book is definitely steeped in misogyny, but even that ended up cliche. As a writer, if you must use a cliche, at least do something ironic with it. Please? And don't use narration to inform your audience that your female characters are strong, independent people, when absolutely nothing in your book, neither in behavior nor dialogue, insinuates they are anything more than infantilized, over-emotional, perpetually shopping dieters.

And I really don't get anyone who thinks it's cool to insist that when a woman says "Stop", she really means,"I like it."

Overall, Bad Karma is mediocre, though I'm sure there is a (probably male) 20 something college student audience who will enjoy it. For me, the first 6 chapters dragged, the first interesting thing happened around Chapter 20, and Holing's best flowing writing began around Chapter 40. I would rather Holing had spent less time describing the scenery and spent the precious word count on character development. It would have given him the time to develop his story rather than shoving all the explanation into long, emotionless monologues.

For me, though, Bad Karma is a miss. ( )
  Skylles | May 23, 2015 |

Dwight Holing is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,550,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible