Crossing In Time by D. L. Orton

Crossing In Time

by D. L. Orton

This book is told from three different perspectives: Isabel's - a geneticist, Diego's - a software engineer, and Matt's - a physicist.

Isabel runs into Diego fifteen years after their relationship ended. Now she must travel back in time to make sure they stay together. It's the only way to save the world.

After writing a review about only winning a part of the book in a giveaway instead of the whole book like I thought it would be, the author was kind enough to get in touch and send me all of book one, so a big thank you to her!

I've never really read any time travel or dystopian books, but this one intrigued me. "Be prepared to encounter a finicky time machine, a mysterious seashell and a very clever dog. The prologue drew me in. I liked Matt's perspective the most. I did like that Isabel made it to the other world. But when Isabel and Diego were together they annoyed me to no end. Despite that, though, I did enjoy the book and am curious as to what will happen next. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Great story loved the you do or you don,t fact and how man can easily dome they,re self. Wonderful book enjoyed reading this book pulls you in and takes you for a wild ride. The author has written a exquisite piece of literature and I do hope to read more of in the future. My thanks to the author DL Orton for allowing me the pleasure of reading this wonderful book & yes I would be very happy to recommend this wonderful book to my friends so to all happy reading from wee me.♥
P.S. this book was a gift from the author.♥☺ ( )
  weelinda | Apr 6, 2016 |
I won this audiobook from a Booklikes giveaway.

Orton weaves an intricate, multi-dimensional tale of heartache, hope, and love. This is a wonderfully crafted and wickedly inventive tale of humanity at the brink and a love that may save the world. Isabelle and Diego are great characters. I liked Isabelle, but I loved Diego. Time and again, he was there for Isabelle, saving and loving her, even when she was being difficult and unreasonable. And while yes, Isabelle did need saving many times she was in no way a damsel-in-distress. Their rocky history yet rich and powerful love transcends time and place, taking the reader on an emotional rollercoaster ride of passion and pain. Orton does both exceedingly well, with a poetic-like prose I found captivating and, at times, heartbreaking.

The narrators, Noah and Erin, brought this engaging novel to life. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and this was, by far, the best of a very big lot. For the narration alone, I recommend this book. But the book can stand on its own. ( )
  NDJones | Mar 8, 2016 |
Romance novels, not really my thing. While this might be considered romance, it really isn't. This is a time travel story, about saving the earth from extinction of all mammals. It's a love story, an epic love... but it's so much more! This is a tale of love and sacrifice, of humanity and the worst of mankind, and ultimately of destruction and survival. For all of that, this book has one more thing going for it - you won't want to put it down it draws you in and demands your attention. ( )
  bearlyr | Mar 1, 2016 |
ABR's original Crossing in Time audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Crossing In Time is the first book in the Between Two Evils series and D.L. Orton's debut novel. That is difficult to believe because her style of writing is extremely fluid and wonderfully immersive. She has a fantastic command of language, and I loved the subtle humor throughout the book.

Crossing In Time can't be classified as belonging to one single genre. This is science-fiction, it is romance, it is action and adventure. There is something here for everyone.

It is the story of the relationship between Isabel and Diego and how this relationship could prevent world annihilation. It is told from three different perspectives: Isabel's, Diego's and Matt's. Matt is a British scientist who is recruited with a bunch of other interesting characters to develop a time machine which enables Isabel to travel back into the past to work on her future relationship with Diego.

The characters feel very real and are easy to relate to. There are no one dimensional alpha males or damsels in distress here; these are your average people next-door type of characters that are properly fleshed out and authentic.

The romantic relationship between Isabel and Diego was endearing and sweet. There are some sex scenes, which I found fairly mild and tastefully done, but I have noticed that other reviewers felt they were steamy and explicit. So I guess it depends what you are used to reading. My only criticism would be that the sexual relationship took over a bit towards the end of the book. The stroking and caressing could have been condensed.

What I particularly enjoyed were the scenes of Isabel coping with survival in the bleak and dangerous dystopian future. Some of those descriptions got my heart pumping more than the love scenes. Overall, the story kept me thoroughly entertained and engrossed.

The ending leaves you with the frantic need to find out more about Isabel and Diego's as well as Matt's future, and I will certainly look out for part 2.

As far as the narration is concerned: I would give more than 5 stars if I could.

Having two narrators can be very tricky. The way that it was done here was absolutely impressive. Noah Michael Levine and Erin de Ward were a fantastic team. They had perfect timing and the narration was incredibly fluid. Noah Michael Levine did an amazing job switching effortlessly between the characters of Matt and Diego and keeping the accents straight. It felt like being at the movies. Outstanding performance! This is the sort of audiobook you want to give to people who don't do audiobooks to show them what they are missing. There were no issues with the production.

Crossing In Time should appeal to a wide audience because of its mix of genres and because of the exceptional narration.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
1 vote audiobibliophile | Nov 6, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

D. L. Orton's book Crossing In Time was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

D. L. Orton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible