Wicked Women of the Bible by Ann Spangler

Wicked Women of the Bible

by Ann Spangler

174587,099 (4)None

A short, easily digestible bible study with a feminine angle. If you're looking for an interesting and compelling (and entertaining) group study, this is a good one. You can also complete the study on your own. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Dec 27, 2016 |
Nice selection of portrayals of Biblical women, with each having a storyline to study and contemplate in the context of the reader's denomination. I feel that the title was chosen by the publisher for it's eye-catching value, but that does not denigrate the value of the writing and the author's aims. I feel that it delves into the story of each of these women in a way that the King James editors never could.
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jun 2, 2016 |
In Wicked Women of the BIble award wining author Ann Spangler reimagines the stories of some of the Bible's most fascinating women, from Eve and Sarah, Deborah, Jael, and Esther to Mary Magdalena. While keeping as close as possible to the original biblical texts, fictional conversations and historical backgrounds were added to help readers to understand the complicated lives better.
By focusing on mere wicked types in the Bible, whether used for good or bad, readers can relate easier to Eve contemplating on her life, her family and the fruits of transgression God's commands. You may be surprised to learn the life story of Queen Jezebel, Hannah and Penninah, the Samaritan woman at the well who meets Jesus Christ. Was Bathsheba's public bathing on purpose to seduce King David? And what caused Salome to ask King Herod for John the Baptist's head on a platter to please her mother Herodias? Wicked good and wicked smart women are included in Spangler's selection. Warning: not the average Sunday School class characters as well. Tamar, Rahab, Deborah and Jael, Delilah, Michael and Abigail, the Medium of Endor and Gomer (Hosea's wife). Each story ends with a section entitled The Times providing background information, and a Takeaway with questions to answer personally or in a Bible Study group. Thanks to their wickedness all these women reveal a God who steps in, meets His creatures to extend his love and mercy. ( )
  hjvanderklis | Dec 8, 2015 |
Title: Wicked Women of the Bible
Author: Ann Spangler
Pages: 224
Year: 2015
Publisher: Zondervan
My rating is 4 stars.
The first point Ann brings to light is both the negative definition of the word “wicked” and the way it is used as slang. Such as “that movie was wicked I want to see it again!” So the characters we learn about in the study are those women who were wicked and displeased God. We also learn of “wickedly” awesome women we may want to be like as we learn from them in the Bible.
I learned Ann has written other books along this line and that she isn’t a trained theologian, but a woman who desires to help women draw near to the Author of the Bible. Like Ann shares with us, in ancient times stories were passed down orally from one generation to the next. God in His sovereignty in His time took the oral tradition and brought it to print down through generations to today. What a God He is who loves us before we loved Him, and He continues to invite us to sit at His feet and learn.
Each chapter quotes from the Bible and then readers can read a fictionalized account that might help them cement the women studied in their minds and hearts. Afterwards, we are told a little about the time in which the people lived and the event took place. Let us never forget these were real people who lived, loved, followed God or disobeyed Him among other actions.
Whether readers do this study in a group setting or alone with the Lord, there are questions which help us contemplate, remember and encourage us to grow in Him. The study isn’t just for head knowledge, but for heart knowledge leading to a life that is transformed by His Word.
There are 20 chapters with which to enjoy, be encouraged or exhorted. We can learn from those who were wicked as in evil as well as we can learn from those who just were women who chose to do or say as He directed. I hope that you will delve into the 20 women Ann highlights and consider sharing what the Lord shows you with another person who wants to grow with you using this study. The study is not an end-all, but a beginning. When you are done, consider studying further any of the women who you learned from and want to know more about from the Bible.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Nov 13, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031034168X, Paperback)

What can Jezebel, the Bible’s wickedest queen, reveal about God’s holiness and power and even about his sense of humor? What about the Woman at the Well—the one with five husbands and a live-in lover? And what of the prostitute whose tears bathe the feet of Jesus in front of people who despise her?

There are also “wicked good” women like Deborah, Ruth, Hannah, Abigail, Esther, Mary, and more. What do their lives tell us about God’s invincible love and his determined plan to save us?

In Wicked Women of the Bible Ann Spangler tells the stories of twenty wicked and “wicked good” women in greater detail. At the end of each story, Ann provides a brief section including additional historical and cultural background as well as a brief Bible study in order to enhance the book’s appeal to both individuals and groups.

The stories of these women of the Bible reveal a God who is not above it all but who stoops down to meet us where we are in order to extend his love and mercy.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 25 Jul 2015 02:17:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible