Mud Puddle by Robert Munsch

Mud Puddle (edition 2012)

by Robert Munsch, Dusan Petricic (Illustrator)

Member:CozyBookJournal
Title:Mud Puddle
Authors:Robert Munsch
Other authors:Dusan Petricic (Illustrator)
Info:Annick Press (2012), Edition: New Edition, Library Binding, 32 pages
Rating:***1/2

Mud Puddle (Classic Munsch) by Robert N. Munsch

This has always been one of my favourite Robert Munsch books. It's so fun to read this one aloud, especially with a group of children. They love shouting the "Hey Mud Puddle!" part. But I must say, I'm partial to the original version with illustrations by the immensely talented Sami Suomalainen (if you don't know Suomalainen's work, I cannot recommend his illustrations in Curtis Parkinson's Mr. Reez's Sneezes highly enough!). This newly illustrated version with pictures by Dušan Petricic is...well, it's just not the same. It's odd, but in a way the new illustrations are more dated than the ones from nearly twenty years ago. In the original, the colours are rich, the images approximate (not that they're crudely drawn, just that they are playful and leave a lot to the imagination, which I love) and the rich mud practically oozes off the page. Petricic's illustrations, on the other hand, are relatively detailed but lack the, well, ooziness of the original. It's like the Mud Puddle has already been scrubbed. Fantastic story but my preference is definitely for the original illustrations.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Jan 17, 2013 |
One of Munsch's earliest and well-loved tales. Delightful for toddlers and preschoolers who like to play in puddles, and who don't like to change their clothes. The girl comes up with a clever solution to the problem at the end. Very interesting and enjoyable pictures by Sami Suomalainen. ( )
  tripleblessings | Oct 28, 2005 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0920236235, Paperback)

Whenever Jule Ann goes outside, a Mud Puddle jumps on her and gets her muddy all over. But she defeats it with cheerful ingenuity and two bars of smelly yellow soap. As in all Munsch stories, kids are the heroes!

About the Annikin Series:

Annikins are mini books made especially for children -- small enough to fit into tiny hands and pockets. Each book measures 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" and contains full color pages. Individual titles available in quantities of 20s only.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:32 -0400)

"Seems that every time Jule Ann went outside, a mud puddle found her. She had to go inside to get cleaned up by her mom, several times."

Annick Press

Five editions of this book were published by Annick Press.

Editions: 1550374680, 0920236235, 0920236286, 1550374699, 1550378732

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible