Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

Every Heart a Doorway

by Seanan McGuire

Series: Wayward Children (1)

1,19610710,098 (3.98)114
Recently added byctekata, iceiris, private library, FabmanMG, GigasCodex, tntbeckyford, rena75, Matt_B, eraderneely
    We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory (Familiar_Diversions)
    Familiar_Diversions: Another work featuring characters who have been through things most people wouldn't believe, and who are now all attending group therapy sessions together.
    The Magicians: A Novel by Lev Grossman (Cecrow)
    Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer (tralliott)
    tralliott: Teens dealing with past traumas in a fantasy-adjacent world.
    Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: What happens to children who spend what feels like years in a magical world, and are then unable to reintegrate with our own world when they return?

This is such a fantastic idea for a story: a "home" for those who have come back from a portal world (think Wonderland, Narnia, or Oz), but can't accept that they are unable to go back to that portal world. Eleanor West (who has a portal all her own, and knows where it is, and is just biding her time until she can return) runs such a home, taking in the children who can't cope with the normalcy of the "real" world and who yearn to return to their true "homes." Some do find their way back, but many don't, and are in constant turmoil as a result.

Nancy is one such child. When she found her door to the Halls of the Dead, she thought she'd found her true home. But when then the Lord of the Dead sends Nancy back to the real world so that she can be certain that she wants to stay in the Halls of the Dead, she is unable to re-acclimate herself, and her parents send her to Eleanor West's School as a last resort.

As the new girl in the school, Nancy feels immediately out of place but is able to make friends with her roommate Sumi, Kade, a young man banished from his portal world, and Jack, who was apprenticed to a mad scientist. After one of the students is found murdered, suspicion immediately falls on Nancy as the newest arrival, but through the help of her friends they are able to discover the identity of the true murderer.

This is the fourth time I’ve read this book, as I do a complete reread when a new book is released in the series, and I’m still struck by the power of McGuire’s writing. The books are sinister and dark and beautiful and I can’t recommend them enough. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jan 17, 2019 |
A convincing fantasy that appreciates the power and personhood of children in a way that is refreshing and slightly terrifying-- as it should be! ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
This book is really fun. An English boarding school for youth who have found their way to Fairyland (one of many, many possible Fairylands) and then wound up back in our mundane world. Their families don't believe the stories of why they disappeared or where they went. The youth all long to find their way back to the Fairyland they visited, because they belonged there, and it felt like home. At this school, they have each other and a headmistress who would be happy to help them find their true homes.

Book one is a bit of a murder mystery. People associated with the school are suddenly winding up dead. A group of kids work together to figure out who and why.

I enjoyed main characters and the depictions of so many creative and utterly different Fairylands. So many props to McGuire for having main characters who are asexual and trans. Representation matters.

I'm excited there are more books in the series. ( )
  chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |
A new book by Seanan McGuire is always a treat: I know by now that each new narrative path she forges will lead toward new worlds, new discoveries. One of the best facets of this very prolific author is that she always speaks with a different voice for every new story she decides to share, that each tale she spins is like no other she previously told.

This time we visit Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children [...]

Read the full review over at SPACE and SORCERY BLOG ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
"Para estar hablando de una novela de apenas 200 páginas, es fascinante la capacidad de la autora para crear una serie de personajes con profundidad (me faltó saber más de Eleanor, pues a veces me queda algo borrosa; aunque al estar ante una trilogía, me gustaría creer que son huecos que van a rellenarse en las otras historias) y un worldbuilding tan imaginativo. Además, la inclusión de personajes no normativos de un modo tan natural aporta profundidad y matices a la historia"
Reseña completa:

https://cafedetinta.com/2018/09/21/cada-corazon-un-umbral-de-seanan-mcguire/ ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |

McGuire, SeananAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hopkins, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR THE WICKED
The girls were never present for the entrance interviews.
You're nobody's rainbow.

You're nobody's princess.

You're nobody's doorway but your own, and the only one who gets to tell you how your story ends is you.
"Hope hurts. That's what you need to learn, and fast, if you don't want it to cut you open from the inside out. Hope is bad. Hope means you keep on holding to things that won't ever be so again, and so you bleed an inch at a time until there's nothing left."
We notice the silence of men. We depend upon the silence of women.
"You had milk, I had science," said Jack. "It's amazing how much of culinary achievement can be summarized by that sentence. Cheese making, for example. The perfect intersection of milk, science, and foolish disregard for the laws of nature."
"I am a genius of infinite potential and highly limited patience. People shouldn't try me so."

Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children.

No Solicitations

No Visitors

No Quests

Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else.

But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children.

Nancy tumbled once, but now she's back. The things she's experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West's care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world.

Children have always disappeared from Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere ... else. But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children. Nancy tumbled once, but now she's back. The things she's experienced ... they change a person. The children under Miss West's care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world. But Nancy's arrival marks a change at the Home. There's a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it's up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of the matter. No matter the cost.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,536,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible