dismiss

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

Every Heart a Doorway

by Seanan McGuire

Series: Wayward Children (1)

Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. No Solicitations. No Visitors. No Quests. Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere...else. But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children. Nancy tumbled once, but now she's back. The things she's experienced...they change a person. The children under Miss West's care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world. But Nancy's arrival marks a change at the Home. There's a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it's up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of things. No matter the cost.… (more)
    We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory (Familiar_Diversions)
    Familiar_Diversions: Another work featuring characters who have been through things most people wouldn't believe, and who are now all attending group therapy sessions together.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Cecrow)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (g33kgrrl)
    Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: What happens to children who spend what feels like years in a magical world, and are then unable to reintegrate with our own world when they return?
    Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer (tralliott)
    tralliott: Teens dealing with past traumas in a fantasy-adjacent world.
    A Slip Under The Microscope by H. G. Wells (AngelaJMaher)

Re-read 1/4/20:

I think I enjoyed this more the second time. It's something really special precisely because we get a much more in-depth look at all these children and the worlds that they belong in future volumes.

So going back, here, in the introduction (of sorts) is more like wrapping myself in a wonderful uber-tale, rather than dipping my toes in a novella. :)

Still great. :)

Original Review:

Sometimes we either meet a book (or a novella, in this case,) that is precisely the right fit for your soul, (at the moment,) or just happens to be original enough right when you need it, that it fills your life and your mind with brightness and joy.

For me, this is one of those pieces. To muddy the waters even more, I'm an unabashed fan of the author and I'm likely to pick up all of her writings without even checking the subject matter because I simply trust the woman to steer me to any shore.

Of course, none of that *really* matters. After all, in this novella, she's taken me to many worlds of imagination, both logical and full of wild nonsense. Am I in love with the murder mystery plaguing these poor children?

Nah, though it was quite interesting.

No, what spoke to me were all the doorways, the wild and the still lands that were perfect fits for each kid, and can I wish, wish, wish that I had my own? Can I spend a lifetime within my wild cthuhlu SF fairyland populated with layers and layers of myth and gods? Please?

Alas, the concept behind this novella, the loss and expulsion of their little paradise is tailor made to evoke ultimate sympathy from me. Oh, the pathos.

I'm not even slightly being facetious. :)

So I'm going to pray and pray that my hero writes more and more of these books and make me dance for joy with each and every instalment. Yay! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Surrealist fantasy

But very ordinary. Magic doesn't show up in person until very near the end.

A bit dark, oddly comical, mysterious (in that there is a mystery), horrifying...a twisted home for broken children that is also uniquely suited to gifted individuals.

Exquisite. ( )
  wildwily | May 28, 2020 |
Surrealist fantasy

But very ordinary. Magic doesn't show up in person until very near the end.

Exquisite. ( )
  wildwily | May 28, 2020 |
**Every Heart a Doorway** by *Seanan McGuire* is a nice little fantasy tale of the place where children go after going through a Door to Another Place (Fairylands, for example), and then coming back. It's short, and sweet, and sad, and gruesome. It's about real children, not a list of characters from other books, either. The gruesome part is the murder mystery half of the book, but that's really only window dressing for the exploration of the characters and worlds. It's a bit short, and I'd have liked to see more exploration of both the children and their worlds – but I guess that's what the sequel is there for. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |
I loved this book and the concept and the writing and just everything about it. It's a short book - less than 200 pages - but McGuire packs such a punch. It's a dark, eerie look at what happens when children come back from their fantasy worlds, and I am so excited this is the first in a serious. Bravo, Seanan McGuire, bravo. ( )
  bookishtexpat | May 21, 2020 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hopkins, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR THE WICKED
The girls were never present for the entrance interviews.
You're nobody's rainbow.

You're nobody's princess.

You're nobody's doorway but your own, and the only one who gets to tell you how your story ends is you.
"Hope hurts. That's what you need to learn, and fast, if you don't want it to cut you open from the inside out. Hope is bad. Hope means you keep on holding to things that won't ever be so again, and so you bleed an inch at a time until there's nothing left."
We notice the silence of men. We depend upon the silence of women.
"You had milk, I had science," said Jack. "It's amazing how much of culinary achievement can be summarized by that sentence. Cheese making, for example. The perfect intersection of milk, science, and foolish disregard for the laws of nature."
"I am a genius of infinite potential and highly limited patience. People shouldn't try me so."

Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children.

No Solicitations

No Visitors

No Quests

Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else.

But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children.

Nancy tumbled once, but now she's back. The things she's experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West's care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,654,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible