Slippery Noodles by Hsiang Ju Lin

Slippery Noodles

by Hsiang Ju Lin

611,268,033 (5)None

This is one of the loveliest food books I have read in the last few years.

Delicate, subtle, a pointilist impression of the immense wealth of Chinese food (literature). 43 chapters, starting with a literary quotation and discussing a subject.

Caveats;
Don't buy this book if you want an academic study of the development of Chinese cooking. This is the food of the rich and the leisure classes. The poor didn't write and so they get no space in this book. There are other books for that. Books I also read and enjoyed, but there is nothing to compare to this except of course Chinese Gastronomy written by MS Lin's mother and herself in 1955.

Also don't buy this book if you are like me and would love to read many of the books she quotes. Only to find that all her sources are in Chinese.

And certainly don't buy this book if typos drive you mad. The book is marred by the most horrible collection of typos I ever came across. We have here a masterpiece marred by numerous stains.

But nevertheless a masterpiece. Enjoy reading it! ( )
  TheoSmit | Oct 5, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,546,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible