The Amazing Story of the Man Who Cycled from…

The Amazing Story of the Man Who Cycled from India to Europe for Love (2013)

by Per J. Andersson

English (7)  German (1)  All (8)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the fictionalized version of the true story of a young man, PK, who had a very rough life in India as a member of the untouchable caste, and who fell in love with a Swedish girl he met while she visited India. I found all the background of his life in India was fascinating, and how the official policy today is that the caste system is abolished but in fact, this evil system is very much alive. A palm leaf prophesy as PK grew up in a remote poor village predicted his marriage to Lotta, which seemed wildly unlikely at the time. As a young man PK gained some fame in India for the portraits he painted on the streets, and which was how he supported himself. On his long arduous bike ride to Sweden his ability to draw portraits earned him money and got him out of difficulties with the law and with obtaining visas. Will he complete his journey and win the heart of Lotta? Read the book if you want to find out. ( )
  hangen | Jun 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of the ARC of this book through the LTER members give-away. I therefore can only base my opinion on the ARC I read. The first thing to note is that I really missed having a map of the location and traveling route that is set mainly in India. I also noted that at the end of the book is a long section for a "photo album" - this was also blank in the ARC. I wish publishers would try to include these items in the previews that the want rated.
The book itself wasn't too bad, but also not very exciting. The fact that it is based on a true story is very nice. However, it was more than halfway through the book before the main character (PK) actually started his travels on his bike (which he only used part of the way!) from India to Sweden. That was not what I expected from a book with the above title! Would I buy it? Probably not! Would I watch the movie? Probably! ( )
  yukon92 | Apr 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very interesting book that tells the story of Pradyumna Kumar, an artist from an oppressed untouchable community in Orissa, India who followed his prophecy to live in a new world, never dreamt of before. The book is simply written and very easy to read. It is a good way to learn about all the implicit and explicit ways a person's caste is perceived and treated in India. It doesn't hold back any details. Although initially, it sounds more like a third person narrative, by the middle of the book you start relating with PK. His adventures are extraordinary but believable. You learn about the lives of the westerners on the hippie trail in the 1970s. It's real and genuine, because of the successes and failures we see in PKs life. My favorite parts are understanding the naivete of the main character, his honest and true love for his Lotta. I would definitely recommend this book to someone keen to learn about the caste system in India, from the perspective of someone growing up in a rapidly 'developing' and 'modern' country and yet facing the systemic challenges that have plagued society for millennia. It doesn't romanticize it or commercialize it like movies such as Slumdog Millionaire. ( )
  puneetsingh | Feb 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book gave valuable insights into the life of a typical Indian boy. The information about the caste system was fascinating, and how it influences the choices available for education and life.
I would have liked more information about the woman and why he was so in love with her, as he hardly knew her; or his other motives for going to such ends to get to her. ( )
  padmajoy | Feb 23, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading this book because of the accurate way it depicts life in India.
I thought that I would have like to have the female character developed more and at the same time I got tired of reading the details of PK's life. I realize he is the main character but I wondered what it was about the woman that made him fall in love with her and go to such lengths to get to her.
I found this book to be funny, tragic and satisfying to read. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Indian culture (middle class) and life.
Offers insight into the class structure in India and the class distinctions. ( )
  padmajoy | Feb 7, 2017 |

Per J. Anderssonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dahmann, Susannesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seit dem Tag, an dem ich in einem Dorf im Dschungel geboren wurde, ist mein Leben vorbestimmt.

"The story begins in a public square in New Delhi. On a cold December evening a young European woman of noble descent appears before an Indian street artist known locally as PK and asks him to paint her portrait--it is an encounter that will change their lives irrevocably. PK was not born in the city. He grew up in a small remote village on the edge of the jungle in East India, and his childhood as an untouchable was one of crushing hardship. He was forced to sit outside the classroom during school, would watch classmates wash themselves if they came into contact with him, and had stones thrown at him when he approached the village temple. According to the priests, PK dirtied everything that was pure and holy. But had PK not been an untouchable, his life would have turned out very differently. This is the remarkable true story of how love and courage led PK to overcome extreme poverty, caste prejudice and adversity--as well as a 7,000-mile, adventure-filled journey across continents and cultures--to be with the woman he loved."--Publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Per J. Andersson's book The Amazing Story of the Man Who Cycled from India to Europe for Love is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,675,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible