Holey Moley by Lois Ehlert

Holey Moley

by Lois Ehlert

I think this was a great book for children for a few reasons. It's about a mole that digs around and it explains the different aspects of soil. One of the first things I noticed was the writing. The grammar specifically had words with various vowel patterns. I thought this was the best part of the book because it challenges students who are learning long vowels. The following words were rhymed on different pages: "Follow my nose. See where it goes." "disappear under here!" Those are just 2 examples out of many where one sentence has different consonant blending and vowel patterns. The language flows because of the rhyming the author used. It makes the book easier and more interesting to read.
The pictures were abstract. You have to really look at the pictures to understand them. In the back of the book there's a chart of what each picture was in the book. For example, it would be a picture of an earthworm labeled. On a few pages, the mole is digging under a garden. It has pictures of a variety of vegetables you can grow in a garden with labels as well. This would help students expand their knowledge on vegetables and gardens. The pictures, along with the text, could be extremely beneficial to children who live in the city. It would help them get a better understanding of the life under the grass. ( )
  emilymcnally | Nov 4, 2016 |
Lois Ehlert has a distinctive look to her books. The illustrations in Holey Moley are no exception. The book follows the mole in his underground adventures. I read this with a group of children and they all really enjoyed it but were confused by the illustrations of the mole. They had never seen a creature like this so as soon as we finished the book we looked up pictures of actual moles and found out some mole facts. This book is a great way to introduce a new animal to younger children and to elicit curiosity about creatures that live underground. ( )
  JPEmmrich5 | Dec 2, 2015 |
This book is about a mole, who is a protector of the garden. In the book, it talks about what the mole does in his life and how he protects the garden. This book is recommended because children learn that mole's are not bad, in fact, they are great pest preventers. ( )
  mclaire123 | Oct 21, 2015 |
THIS IS A CUTE AND ARTISTIC BOOK FOR CHILDREN. IT IS ABOUT A MOLE WHO IS VERY PROTECTIVE OVER ITS GARDEN. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK. ( )
  akf97 | Oct 20, 2015 |

After digging holes and munching on crawly bugs, a chubby mole settles in her cozy burrow for winter. Includes glossary identifying all of the different worms, caterpillars, moths, and butterflies included in the illustrations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible