Black Rainbow by J.J. McAvoy

Black Rainbow

by J.J. McAvoy

3,5
Black Rainbow is the first book of J.J. McAvoy I read.
What drew me to it is the fact that the main characters are a black woman and a white man. Something that, to me, seems new because usually I come upon couples that are white/white or black/black or, streching it a bit, black men and white women. I never thought about it till this book but what I find searching for romance book is usually a bit conservative. I need to change my reading habits.

Anyway.
The book has nothing (obviously) different than what you find reading a w/w contemporary romance novel. Just in the beginning Thea, this strong and indipendent black girl who is starting an Harvard law course held by someone she thought she would never see again, as to deal with a bit of prejudice (even if I have to admit it was her fault for bringing the subject in the argument). After that, thing are more centered on the struggles of Levi and Thea. In fact the two have to fight to keep things professional, even if the passion they have shared in a week fling (that is told day per day in the first part), is far from dead. What is more, Thea's past -the real reason for which she is determined to be a lawier- urges her to put all else aside.

This story has held me captivated and eager to know what would happen to the characters till the happy end and from that angle has satisfied my romance reader heart's needs. However, things at times seemd a bit rushed and could have been handled better.
In the end, a good first for this author. I hope to read something else in the future. ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |

A sweet and steamy New Adult Romance from author of the bestselling Ruthless People series, J.J. McAvoy... After an erotic one-week fling with a musician she meets in a bar, Thea Cunning never expects to see Levi Black again. Then Monday morning comes around, and she discovers that her former lover is not only her professor, but he's also one of the top criminal lawyers in the state of Massachusetts. With everyone in class vying to be one of the twelve disciples - a group of twelve students that Professor Black takes under his wing - tensions run high. Thea considers dropping his class, given their passionate week together and their undeniable chemistry. After all, there are other (less infuriatingly sexy) law professors on campus. But to accomplish her goal and get her father out of prison, Thea knows she needs to learn under the best of the best - and that's Levi Black. But can she learn under the best, without being under the best?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible