The Glass Harmonica: A Julia Franklin crime…

The Glass Harmonica: A Julia Franklin crime mystery

by Richard Milton

I enjoyed this book very much. The story was intriguing and the characters interesting and well-developed. I thought I knew who the bad guy was, then a few unexpected twists turned the story on its head. It finished with a very satisfying conclusion.
The only thing I didn't like in this book was an inappropriate, outdated term used to describe a transgender woman. The term used would never have been appropriate for this character, as even when it was in use it was a term for a cross dresser and this character was very clearly transgender. I really appreciated that this character was included, as transgender persons are not often represented in mainstream literature. She was a great character and I really enjoyed her scenes. However, it is important for an author to know the correct terminology for identifying his characters and not perpetuate terms that are no longer in use and considered offensive by many. ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | Feb 15, 2017 |
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really, really liked this book. It felt like such an intelligent read, incredibly enjoyable!
I may be a little biased because I read this book after one with poorly developed characters, but Milton’s characters were such a welcome relief! Each of them felt like real people (even sometimes doing stupid things like real people). The author definitely has a talent for creating realistic characters, and ones that are enjoyable even they’re villains.

There is a lot of focus on Julia's piano playing, which the author uses beautiful prose to describe. It almost sounds like he may be a pianist himself! Sometimes it's a little overkill because of the amount of detail he provides but it’s certainly inspiring.

All said, I really enjoyed the book. Though it’s billed as a crime mystery novel, it also smartly plays with thriller and fantastical elements, especially surrounding the intrigue of the glass harmonica. I half-expected that the book would lead into a magical telling but we stayed fairly firmly in the real-world. The mix definitely put it in its own category though, so it stands out in the crime genre. A lot of twists in the story to keep you guessing, and I didn't see any of them coming. Definitely recommend! ( )
  Lib-books | Apr 29, 2016 |
I thought this might be a great book because I used to play the piano and so the cover caught my eye. I think this book was great! I enjoyed the mystery and the concert pianist, and the whole thing. I was not sure what was going to happen next and I was excited to read on and find out. I would read more from this author. * I received this book in a LibraryThing giveaway in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  Aly3636 | Jan 14, 2016 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed this historical fiction novel. The characters are well developed and the twist and turns and history keep you turning the page hungry for more. I enjoyed reading about the family ties and money and how they are used to turn every day people. Well done! ( )
  thicks | Sep 1, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book. I was kept guessing and wondering throughout all the twists and turns. If you want a good mystery book that has some historical genre this is it!
The characters were believable in their conversations and actions which made this a good thriller. It felt a little like Girl On a Train with the different storylines and conflicts woven into the book. ( )
  dmoitzh | Jul 17, 2015 |

Richard Milton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible