Deathstalker by Simon R. Green

Deathstalker (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Simon R. Green

Member:flonor
Title:Deathstalker
Authors:Simon R. Green
Info:Roc (1995), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:SF-fantasy

Deathstalker by Simon R. Green (1995)

According to Wikipedia the author intended this to be, to an extent, a parody of space operas. Reviews here warned me that minor characters got a lot of screen time. (Although, I was still surprised that less than half the book was following the protagonist.) Forewarned is forearmed, so I enjoyed it for the sprawling beast that it is. In fact, it was mostly little things that broke me out of the narrative and annoyed me.

I read the Kindle version and the OCR errors were a little distracting. A "c" instead of an "e", an "f" instead of "lt." And I hope "irregardless" was an error. The British use of cannon as its own plural in an otherwise American English text made me pause and re-read a sentence more than once. Along with a few other minor niggles it meant there was something distracting on nearly every page.

One could say, and fairly, that I'm just nit picking, but I was already spending so much effort suspending disbelief, that those little wrinkles tripped me up and took another star off my rating. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
One of my all time favorite books, because it was my introduction to the writing of Simon R. Green, my favorite author. It's space opera at it's best. ( )
  Navarre1963 | Jan 28, 2016 |
Read 200 pages before finally deciding to just stop (I'm still not even halfway through). The writing and characters would be passable if the book was almost over, but it's not anywhere close. The plot is ambling and the characters have no idea what they're doing, just kind of stumbling around pretending to have a plan. They're also very stupid.

The only cool character is, unfortunately, not cool enough to keep my attention. And when I looked over the plots of the sequels, I discovered that they're still trying to do the same thing they're trying to do in THIS book. Apparently they never get anywhere at all. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 10, 2012 |
It was okay, but too many POV switches for my liking. Also repeated phrases (mostly sarcastic ones). ( )
  LaserWraith | Mar 10, 2011 |
Pre09:
Everything was too over the top in this series. And the books bled together...
Characters: Still like Owen, but the others I can't remember.
Plot: Repeated in every book. Not that important.
Style: Tries to be Flash Gordon. Succeeds. ( )
  Isamoor | May 11, 2009 |

Simon R. Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It gets dark out on the Rim.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451454359, Mass Market Paperback)

Owen Deathstalker never wanted to be head of his clan. But when his father is murdered and he himself is outlawed by the order of the Empress, Owen must face the fact that destiny has other plans for him...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:35 -0400)

Owen Deathstalker, unwilling head of his clan, flees to Mistworld where he begins to build an unlikely crew of rebels to overthrow the capricious, murderous galactic queen, and soon he embarks on a dangerous journey to claim his destiny.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,687,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible