Deathstalker by Simon R. Green

Deathstalker (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Simon R. Green

Member:flonor
Title:Deathstalker
Authors:Simon R. Green
Info:Roc (1995), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:SF-fantasy

Deathstalker by Simon R. Green (1995)

Recently added byprivate library, elucubrare, jmnlman, Jonesmacon, mdulany, Skinraa, Eumenides, aidanus, BookstoogeLT

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Deathstalker Series: Deathstalker Author: Simon Green Rating: 4 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 531 Synopsis: Took this from the book page itself: Owen Deathstalker, last of his line, is a quiet man, a historian, remote from the stench of corruption and intrigue surrounding the Iron Throne at the head of the galaxy-spanning, tyrannical Empire. And then, inexplicably, Deathstalker is outlawed, forced to flee from one end of the Empire to the other. And as he does so, he discovers that resistance is growing, everywhere, to the Iron Bitch on the Iron Throne. That is actually a really good summary. My Thoughts: Space Opera! Pure, unalloyed, unadulterated, unashamed, Space Opera! Corrupt Human Empire. Telepaths, other ESP'ers, clones, all without rights. Feuding lords. Rebels and Rebellion. Laser guns AND swords. And just to make sure this was completely over the top, a spaceship that was also a stone castle. A Castle, In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace! This was just fun to read. I did have to laugh, as the cover said something like "huge novel" or something [this was originally published in '95] and it was just over 500 pages. Story-wise, this moved along very nicely from viewpoint to viewpoint and kept things fresh. Solid writing and good ideas made for a very good start to this series. And the revelations along the way promise to make the future books interesting as well. I'm very satisfied with my read of this. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
According to Wikipedia the author intended this to be, to an extent, a parody of space operas. Reviews here warned me that minor characters got a lot of screen time. (Although, I was still surprised that less than half the book was following the protagonist.) Forewarned is forearmed, so I enjoyed it for the sprawling beast that it is. In fact, it was mostly little things that broke me out of the narrative and annoyed me.

I read the Kindle version and the OCR errors were a little distracting. A "c" instead of an "e", an "f" instead of "lt." And I hope "irregardless" was an error. The British use of cannon as its own plural in an otherwise American English text made me pause and re-read a sentence more than once. Along with a few other minor niggles it meant there was something distracting on nearly every page.

One could say, and fairly, that I'm just nit picking, but I was already spending so much effort suspending disbelief, that those little wrinkles tripped me up and took another star off my rating. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
One of my all time favorite books, because it was my introduction to the writing of Simon R. Green, my favorite author. It's space opera at it's best. ( )
  Navarre1963 | Jan 28, 2016 |
Read 200 pages before finally deciding to just stop (I'm still not even halfway through). The writing and characters would be passable if the book was almost over, but it's not anywhere close. The plot is ambling and the characters have no idea what they're doing, just kind of stumbling around pretending to have a plan. They're also very stupid.

The only cool character is, unfortunately, not cool enough to keep my attention. And when I looked over the plots of the sequels, I discovered that they're still trying to do the same thing they're trying to do in THIS book. Apparently they never get anywhere at all. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 10, 2012 |
It was okay, but too many POV switches for my liking. Also repeated phrases (mostly sarcastic ones). ( )
  LaserWraith | Mar 10, 2011 |

Simon R. Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It gets dark out on the Rim.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451454359, Mass Market Paperback)

Owen Deathstalker never wanted to be head of his clan. But when his father is murdered and he himself is outlawed by the order of the Empress, Owen must face the fact that destiny has other plans for him...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:35 -0400)

Owen Deathstalker, unwilling head of his clan, flees to Mistworld where he begins to build an unlikely crew of rebels to overthrow the capricious, murderous galactic queen, and soon he embarks on a dangerous journey to claim his destiny.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,624,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible