Deathstalker by Simon R. Green

Deathstalker (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Simon R. Green

Member:flonor
Title:Deathstalker
Authors:Simon R. Green
Info:Roc (1995), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:SF-fantasy

Deathstalker by Simon R. Green (1995)

Read 200 pages before finally deciding to just stop (I'm still not even halfway through). The writing and characters would be passable if the book was almost over, but it's not anywhere close. The plot is ambling and the characters have no idea what they're doing, just kind of stumbling around pretending to have a plan. They're also very stupid.

The only cool character is, unfortunately, not cool enough to keep my attention. And when I looked over the plots of the sequels, I discovered that they're still trying to do the same thing they're trying to do in THIS book. Apparently they never get anywhere at all. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 10, 2012 |
It was okay, but too many POV switches for my liking. Also repeated phrases (mostly sarcastic ones). ( )
  LaserWraith | Mar 10, 2011 |
Pre09:
Everything was too over the top in this series. And the books bled together...
Characters: Still like Owen, but the others I can't remember.
Plot: Repeated in every book. Not that important.
Style: Tries to be Flash Gordon. Succeeds. ( )
  Isamoor | May 11, 2009 |
This is a fairly humorous and extremely campy series of science fiction novels slightly reminiscent of Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. The characters are extremely dysfunctional and the entire plot line very over-the-top. Still, I was entertained by the first few books in the series. After about the third one the ridiculousness became a bit tiresome, and I stopped reading them. The first couple of books are worth the read, and perhaps the whole series if you have a stronger stomach for this sort of thing than I do. ( )
  irishkitsune | Feb 1, 2008 |
Simon Green did a great job with the Deathstalker book. I’ve never read it before, but I’ve read some of his other books, and they were all right—this one is terrific!

The book takes place far in the future, but manages to work in some anachronistic elements such as swordfights in as well. The story is a little bit Dune-ish with all the clans and the battles between them under an emperor, but it takes its own direction from there in a quite enjoyable way.

I highly recommend this book, not too much politics but enough to make things interesting. Lots of action and interesting sci-fi elements make it a fun read. I excited about having the rest of the series in front of me. ( )
  Homechicken | Nov 19, 2007 |
It gets dark out on the Rim.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451454359, Mass Market Paperback)

Owen Deathstalker never wanted to be head of his clan. But when his father is murdered and he himself is outlawed by the order of the Empress, Owen must face the fact that destiny has other plans for him...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:03 -0400)

Owen Deathstalker, unwilling head of his clan, flees to Mistworld where he begins to build an unlikely crew of rebels to overthrow the capricious, murderous galactic queen, and soon he embarks on a dangerous journey to claim his destiny.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible