Six by M. M. Vaughan
202515,329 (4.33)None

I am going to keep my eye on this author. I really enjoyed her first book, The Ability , and now I really liked this one. I was just talking to someone the other day about how the science fiction genre so often contains no science. That is not the case in this one. Science abounds, and it is very interesting science. There was a lot of action and suspense surrounding the science, and the children in the story have to go to great lengths to uncover secrets about the firm their father worked for.

I liked the characters of Parker, Emma and their dad. I found it refreshing to have a deaf character who was never treated like a person with a disability. Emma is tough, loyal, compassionate and fiercely devoted to animals and the environment. Parker is believable as a boy who is just trying to survive a new school and bullying. Dr. Banks is a loving father with a tremendous amount of stress and pressure on him that the children don't understand. They have no idea that everything he is doing is to keep them safe, so it is sad when they resent him and all the time he takes away from them on his work. Another character, the new friend Michael, has kind of an Artemis Fowl feel to him. Not in a bad way (I can't stand Artemis Fowl), but because he had unlimited resources, absent parents, and servants who would do whatever he said. Add all of those characters to an interesting plot, and we have ourselves a winner. Middle school students should love this one!

Areas of concern:
*Grief over a lost mother/wife.
*A kidnapped father leaving 2 children on their own.

http://read-me-maybe.blogspot.com ( )
  Bduke | Apr 1, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this action/adventure novel written for middle-grade students. It was fast-paced and exciting. The protagonists, Parker and his deaf sister Emma along with their friend Michael are extremely resourceful and creative.

Parker, Emma and their dad share technology that allows them to communicate between themselves through their thoughts. Emma is also proficient at lip reading and signing.

Parker and Emma’s dad is almost never around as he is working night and day on a project at his new job. They’ve been uprooted from their home in London and are being bullied at school except for the one boy, Michael who has befriended them.

Just on the cusp of completing his project, Parker’s dad is kidnapped. Fortunately due to the message he sent Parker via his thoughts before he was taken Parker has a clue as to how to rescue his dad. But what is this mysterious project? What is so important about it? This project affects more than just Parker’s family. It’s a sinister project called SIX.

I liked the bits of humour that were injected into the book to lighten the tension. It made me laugh out loud and would be something that would definitely strike the funny bone of a youngster in the 8 – 12 year old range.

There are lots of twists and turns in this plot, enough to keep you on the edge of your seat. The author has developed the characters of Parker and Emma well enough that you will care about what happens to them.

I don’t believe this is the last book you’ll see about Project SIX. I’ll be watching for another one. I gave this one 5 stars out of 5. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-six-by-mm-vaugh... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | May 19, 2015 |

When twelve-year-old Parker's father, on the cusp of a technological breakthrough, is kidnapped, Parker is determined to find him, but his search soon uncovers a sinister project that threatens far more than Parker's family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,391,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible