Falling Like Snowflakes by Denise Hunter

Falling Like Snowflakes

by Denise Hunter

Well, I really don't read romance novels and didn't know this was one when I requested it from the library. I sat down to check it out before I returned it to the library unread and guess what? I read the whole thing! I think if you like romance novels, this would probably be a 4 or 4.5 star read. It really held my interest and the romance part wasn't too much for my temperament and didn't happen until almost the end! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Mar 2, 2016 |
Title: Falling Like Snowflakes ( A Summer Harbor Novel #1)
Author: Denise Hunter
Pages: 352
Year: 2015
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating is 5 stars.
The cover surely doesn’t capture the really wonderful tale written inside. I hope the sequel coming out in 2016 has a better cover that conveys the story more accurately. Inside is a story that includes themes like overcoming fear, trusting, relying on the Lord and romance to name a few. The main characters are a woman and her very young son who change their names and looks in order to stay safe and alive. When her car breaks down, she walks into a small town looking for a job. While she is eating, she decides to go to the restroom and while in the restroom her bag is stolen. Now she has neither money nor any belongings, but she’s alive. She is not sure how safe she is after witnessing a murder.
If I tell you her name that would give away a little of the book so I will wait for you readers to discover who she is when you open the book. The other characters are a family named Callahan who have endured heartache and are running a couple of businesses, with one being a Christmas tree company started by the father, who the family lost a year ago. Three brothers, who are all bachelors, have an aunt coming home from the hospital in a few days and needing a caretaker. While she may have a rough side to her, she sure is a pistol making me laugh at times when reading.
Through various happenings the woman and her young son come to the Christmas tree place looking for a job exactly when the bachelors need someone to look after their spitfire of an aunt. There is palpable tension I felt when reading the book as it becomes apparent that someone is out to eliminate the woman and her son as they can identify the men who committed murder. The focus is on Beau, who is the oldest of the three brothers and who runs the tree farm. Zac owns and runs a restaurant followed by Riley who is looking to mature outside the “little brother” box. The location of the story is in Maine and the family loves Patriots football. While I don’t care for the Pats, I didn’t hold that against the author. 
The love of Christ is really represented in the story as well as the hope He alone brings when our lives have been torn apart as well as having broken hearts. I sat and read the story within a couple of hours. It really reaches into the reader’s imagination as well as leading readers like me to a more realistic conclusion instead of one that resembles a fairy tale. I cannot wait for the next book to be released in 2016, A December Bride. I hope you will join me for the next adventure for the Callahan family.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Sep 15, 2015 |
Eden Martelli finds herself on the run from some dangerous people. She's headed for a cabin with her five-year-old son (who has stopped talking because of a trauma) where she knows they’ll be safe. She's taken every precaution to keep them safe, but then her car breaks down in Summer Harbor. It's a major repair so they must stay put through Christmas. Needing money, she begins to look for work. Enter Beau Callahan. Beau gave up being a deputy sheriff to work the family Christmas tree farm. He's going to need some help with his aunt who's returning home from the hospital and needs full-time assistance. He comes across Eden and her son and offers her the job of caring for his outspoken aunt, along with cooking and cleaning duties. The attraction is strong but both have reasons for not pursuing anything further. Beau knows from experience Eden's hiding something. He wants to keep her safe from whatever she's running from but it's hard when she won't trust him, even with her real name. What will happen when the truth is finally revealed?

I loved this story and fell in love with the Callahan brothers! You first meet Beau Callahan in Married 'til Monday (another excellent story) so I was anxious to get to know him better. Summer Harbor is the kind of town where you immediately feel right at home. The folks are warm and welcoming and make you want to pick-up and move there. I thoroughly enjoyed the banter between the brothers. It’s rough and playful but you totally get that they love each other deeply. The story had a great balance of humorous and serious moments. Beau’s aunt is a riot and she definitely spiced things up with her feisty personality. The author dealt with some difficult issues and I appreciated the way she handled them. The romantic tension between Eden and Beau was fraught with anticipation as only Denise Hunter can do, especially in the beginning, because Beau is dating someone else. (Gasp!) The reader finds out that though we plan our ways the Lord directs our steps. It was an encouraging reminder to see how the Lord cared for Eden. This was a great start to the Summer Harbor series and one I would definitely recommend! The cover is beautifully done and the title goes very well with the story. I am now anxiously waiting for Zac’s story in “The Goodbye Bride”. Although there is a chill in the air in Summer Harbor, ‘Falling Like Snowflakes’ is sure to warm your heart.

*This complimentary copy was provided by Thomas Nelson through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

A couple favorite quotes:
Eden realized what Beau had been holding back from her yesterday morning. His aunt was going to be a challenge. Eden was beginning to wonder if she should have asked for hazard pay,

"Merciful heavens, what's this supposed to be?" "Aunt Trudy," Beau said. "There's enough sage in here to cure a decade's worth of hot flashes." Sage. So that's what it was. Kate's cheeks flushed. "I'm so sorry. I didn't have a recipe - I didn't want to use your computer without asking." "Have at it," Riley said, giving one final hack. "Please."

For more information about this book and other books by Denise Hunter, I encourage you to visit her website at http://www.denisehunterbooks.com/ ( )
  love2readnovels | Sep 9, 2015 |
It was amazing, the depth of courage a mother could find when the life of her child was on the line.

Eden Martelli is too busy fleeing the clutches of danger to realize she’s running straight into the arms of new love.

Speeding north through rural Maine, Eden Martelli wonders how it ever came to this—on the run, with her mute five-year-old son dozing fitfully in the passenger seat. But when a breakdown leaves them stranded in Summer Harbor, Eden has no choice but to stay put through Christmas . . . even though they have no place to lay their heads.

Beau Callahan is a habitual problem-solver—for other people anyway. He left the sheriff’s department to take over the family Christmas tree farm, but he’s still haunted by the loss of his parents and struggling to handle his first Christmas season alone.

When Eden shows up looking for work just as Beau’s feisty aunt gets out of the hospital, Beau thinks he’s finally caught a break. Eden is competent and dedicated—if a little guarded—and a knockout to boot. But, as he soon finds out, she also comes with a boatload of secrets.

Eden’s been through too much to trust her heart to another man, but Beau is impossible to resist, and the feeling seems to be mutual. As Christmas Eve approaches Eden’s past catches up to her.

Beau will go to the ends of the earth to keep her safe. But who’s going to protect his heart from a woman who can’t seem to trust again?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jul 2015 19:17:18 -0400)

"When the Christmas season finds Eden in Summer Harbor, Maine, she's on the run from trouble. Romance is the last thing on her mind. Riding in a bus in the thickly falling snow, Eden Davis wonders how it ever came to this -- fleeing under cover of night with young Micah sleeping fitfully in the seat beside her. When a winter storm strands them in Summer Harbor, Maine, Eden wonders if what might have been the end could be a new beginning. Beau Callahan is a habitual problem-solver. He's recently left his job with the sheriff's department to take over the family Christmas tree farm to save it from insolvency. But he's flummoxed. During the busiest season of the year, he's shorthanded. Then Eden shows up looking for work, and Beau believes he's been rescued. Competent, smart, and beautiful, Eden's also guarded and quiet. He soon figures out she comes with a boatload of secrets. But Beau can't seem to help himself from falling for her. As Christmas Eve approaches, Beau discovers he'll do anything to keep Eden safe. But who's going to protect his heart from a woman who can't seem to trust again?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,549,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible