The Blue by Lucy Clarke

The Blue

by Lucy Clarke

Loved this. Really enjoyed the way the story was revealed piece by piece using the 'Then' and 'Now' narration. The solitude and isolation of being at sea was beautifully described. Maybe the ending was a bit convoluted but I loved the little twist. Excellent read. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
An interesting story that holds some unique challenges for the author. Lana has spent some months on a sailboat with a handful of others who are all running—either from something or to something in their lives. She too was hoping to find herself and a new life when she joined the raggedy band. But then someone died and she bailed.

Now, the boat she was on has sunk in a storm. The Blue, a yacht carrying a crew of five at the time it went down, is the object of a search and rescue mission. After struggling with her memories of those months on board, she goes to the Coast Guard to see if her best friend is among the survivors.

What follows are the interwoven stories of her time on board and the rescue attempt. What is revealed about the captain and first mate, the other crew, and the best friends tells a tale not so much of sordid or shocking secrets but one that is burdened with all too familiar human drama. The complexities of how we present ourselves to others, as well as the illusions we attempt to maintain even in the forced intimacy of situations like a shipboard life, provides a compelling read.

Although at times the narrative feels like it wanders slightly, the writing is strong and the human interrelationships will draw you in. Well worth the investment of time to engage with this story.

4 stars

If you enjoy stories that explore the strengths and weaknesses of human relationships, check out [b:The Family Made of Dust: A Novel of Loss and Rebirth in the Australian Outback|31692655|The Family Made of Dust A Novel of Loss and Rebirth in the Australian Outback|Laine Cunningham|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1472357358s/31692655.jpg|6308645]. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Oct 4, 2016 |
Sailing the Ocean Blue....

Damn that was good! My stomach is in knots! I've found a new favorite author and as soon as I finished this one, I bought one of her other books, Swimming at Night. I hope it's just as good!

The Blue is about two girls, Lana and Kitty, who decide to leave their old life behind. So one day they close their eyes, spin the globe and go wherever there finger lands -the Philippines. While they're at the resort, they meet a group of travelers that have also left their lives behind and are sailing around the world on a fifty-foot yacht-The Blue. After Lana and Kitty spend a night on the boat, the crew votes to bring them on board as crew members if they're interested. Of course, this is exactly the escape they were hoping for so they jump at the chance. But as the saying goes, all good things must come to end- and so does their new found paradise...

And unfortunately the book ended too! : ( which I'm hating right now because it really was that good! If I had to compare it, off-the-top of my head I would say it's 'somewhat' similar to The Woman In Cabin 10 but I think The Blue- characters, plot, everything is a thousand times better. If you enjoy nautical themed novels, then you seriously don't want to miss this one!  It's a perfect summer read!

Now I'm off, in search of more similar books, in hopes of curing my huge book hangover! : ) ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The amount of research that went into writing this---whew!! However, the author does admit that any mistakes are hers alone but I was certainly impressed with the details. I kept wondering how she was going to solve the puzzles she presented---really a wonderful read--turn the page and surprise! Things turned around, again and again. I went looking for this book because I had just finished her newest one--well worth the search. ( )
  nyiper | Dec 3, 2015 |
This is my first Lucy Clarke book and what a great book it is. Lana and her best friend since childhood, Kitty, spin a globe and end up in the Philippines. They meet the crew of The Blue, a yacht destined for New Zealand. They join them on their journey and enjoy the carefree existence that it offers. But things take a sinister turn and Lana finds herself at odds with everybody else.

This is a brilliant book. It's gripping and I found it very hard to put down. You can tell Lucy Clarke knows a lot about the sea and sailing because she portrays it so well. The story is told in chapters titled either 'then' or 'now' which helps to ramp up the tension as it all unfolds. I think this should be considered to be one of this year's best psychological thrillers. It's very atmospheric and even though the voyage isn't quite plain sailing, it still sounds very appealing. I loved it. ( )
  nicx27 | Sep 4, 2015 |

"They found paradise... what would they do to keep it? [A] spine-tingling adventure novel about a group of friends whose journey around the world on a yacht turns from a trip to paradise into a chilling nightmare when one of them disappears at sea. Lana and her best friend Kitty leave home looking for freedom-- and that's exactly what they find when they are invited onto The Blue, a fifty-foot yacht making its way from the Philippines to New Zealand. Manned by a young crew of wanderers, The Blue is exactly the escape they are looking for and the two quickly fall under its spell, spending their days exploring remote islands, and their rum-filled nights relaxing on deck beneath the stars. Yet paradise found can just as quickly become lost. Lana and Kitty begin to discover that they aren't the only ones with secrets they'd rather run from than reveal. And when one of their new friends disappears overboard after an argument with the other crewmembers, the dark secrets that brought each of them aboard start to unravel"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,536,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible