Sex is a Funny Word: A Book about Bodies,…

Sex is a Funny Word: A Book about Bodies, Feelings, and YOU

by Cory Silverberg

Using illustrations, Sex is a funny word talks about differences in gender. It does a great job with its cartoon illustrations to show not all bodies are alike. It also talks about how you are not defined by your gender, and how you feel is okay. It also talks about touching and getting help if you are touched and do not like it.
  cwumluna | Jul 17, 2017 |
Sex is a funny word is an informational book about gender identities, sexuality, bodies etc. The book is for educating children about things that aren't really talked about- like sex or masturbation. I have mixed feelings about this book for a variety of reasons. One thing I really liked was the illustrations. The illustrations are bright, bold cartoon style pictures that illustrate the story perfectly. The illustrations show a diverse group of people which makes children feel included. Secondly, the book is set up in a very organized manner and it has clear language that children can understand even though the ideas are mature. For example, "But there are many ways to be a boy or a girl. And there are many ways to grow up and become an adult." Finally, I like that the book pushes readers to think about new perspectives, however I don't know about all the content in the book. The book discusses sex, being transgender, and gay. I think it's good to have these conversations with children so they are more accepting. The author says the book is for 8-10 years old and I think some of the content about sex is too much for children. This would never be a book to have in the classroom, but for some families this book might be good. ( )
  baileywysong | Oct 11, 2016 |
What I appreciate so much about this lovely book is that it touches on subjects that I find myself handling right now as they come up--for example, gender roles, the presence and validity of the LGBT people in our communities, the fact that relationships can be with men or women or individuals who don't identify as either. What's wonderful about kids growing up at this time is that this information is not shocking or hard to understand. I feel intensely grateful that I live at a time, and in a place, where the concept of gay or lesbian relationships do not strike my child as strange. In fact, what confuses him is that there are still many people who find them not only strange, but troubling, and want to prevent people who love each other from creating legally recognized partnerships.

I'm being far more specific and preachy about this topic than this book does--in fact, it's really a gentle breeze that runs through the book. Other topics broached, and again, with a very light touch, are crushes/relationships, "secret touching" (used to be called good touch/bad touch), masturbation, words associated with sex, and so on. It utilizes four "characters" who represent fairly fluid categories of individuals: for the most part, their sexuality is ambiguous.

I do wish there had been more specificity. There was no discussion of the mechanics of sex, nor was there any discussion of "sex words" beyond the word "sexy." There was some discussion of sexual organs (described in this book as "middle parts," which I thought was nice--any part of the body can be private, the author argues), but nothing clinical. The illustrations served to show that body parts can look markedly different from person to person, from age to age, which actually can come as a surprise in this time of standardized and totally unachieveable standards of beauty. My son and I laughed at several of the illustrated scenes, and we found the use of question marks and exclamation marks to convey a character's sense of befuddlement or shock really endearing. This book doesn't really explain what sex is, but it provides parents a really low-key way to reinforce the ideas of trust, justice, joy, and respect in the context of all kinds of relationships, sexual and otherwise, as well as an easy way to introduce LGBT "acceptance" or "understanding," which is still in short supply. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
"A comic book for kids that includes children and families of all makeups, orientations, and gender identies, Sex Is a Funny Word is an essential resource about bodies, gender, and sexuality for children ages 8 to 10 as well as their parents and caregivers. Much more than the "facts of life" or "the birds and the bees," Sex Is a Funny Word opens up conversations between young people and their caregivers in a way that allows adults to convey their values and beliefs while providing information about boundaries, safety, and joy. The eagerly anticipated follow up to Lambda-nominated What Makes a Baby, from sex educator Cory Silverberg and artist Fiona Smyth, Sex Is a Funny Word reimagines "sex talk" for the twenty-first century."-- Provided by publisher. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Sep 25, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,654,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible