This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

This Is Where It Ends

by Marieke Nijkamp

This is where it ends is set in Opportunity, Alabama at Opportunity High School. The day for all of the students is just a normal first day of school. Until the start of term assembly is over, and nobody can get out of the auditorium. This was because Tyler, a former student at the school, had decided to start shooting people. This story is told from four different point of views. One of the main characters, Claire, wasn't in the auditorium, because she was at track practice. When her track team heard the gun shots, they all were assigned different tasks to do. There was a car that Claire and her male friend (who has a crush on her) to take, but she "didn't have the heart", because the car belonged to her friend Jonah the security guard, who was dead. So Claire and her friend decided to run who knows how many miles to the police station, leaving her younger brother behind in the auditorium. Meanwhile, Tomas, one of the other main characters was cutting the locks on the auditorium doors, because he skipped the assembly to break into the principal's office. After Tomas and his friend, Fareed, cut all of the locks and chains off of the doors, the opened them and started telling people to get out. Our shooter, didn't notice at the time, because he was engaged in a conversation with his sister, Autumn. After a while, Tyler did notice. Long, long story short, a lot of people were killed, including Claire's younger brother, Matt, and Tomas. Now that the summary is out of the way, let me tell you what I thought of this book.
  AriannaC.B4 | Dec 15, 2017 |
I purchased this book from Target to read and review. All opinions are my own. This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 This book was an emotional roller coaster and I don't know where to start. The book begins at 10 AM on a Monday after semester break. An auditorium full of students and teachers for the semester pep talk speech from the principal. 5 students and a track coach and 2 more that skipped out are the only ones safe from the boy with the gun. There are several narrators that you will truly become invested in and every character has their view of how things happen and you can't help but get invested in them. It is a very intense, fast paced read. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. The cover says it best "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun". The entire story takes place in just over an hour and at the end the closure the student body celebrates only shows how strong a small town high school can be even in a tragedy. I enjoy fast paced reads so this book was an awesome way for my Month to start! Review also posted on Instagram @jasonnstacie, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Go Read, and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Dec 1, 2017 |
This book is a must read. It follows a highschool as they go thru a school shooting. It has lots of dialog and gives you insight in what happens during such a tragic time. ( )
  relativelybooktastic | Nov 22, 2017 |
This was good, but in my opinion it was too cluttered with stories - six of them - to really get a good grasp of any of the characters. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
I am so torn on this book. On one hand, I couldn't put it down and could easily have finished it in one sitting if I didn't have school the next morning. On the other hand, this is an extremely sensitive topic and what with it becoming so prevalent in our world these days, is an extremely tricky road to travel. I commend the author on attempting to tackle such a controversial topic. I didn't dislike it, and I certainly didn't hate it, but it's only receiving two stars because it's so difficult to get this kind of topic right, and I don't think this book did it. It was very sad and horrific, but it was very black and white, right and wrong, hero and villain, that I just don't think is realistic. Nevertheless, I did finish it in less than 24 hours because I needed to know what happened. ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
Voor mijn moeder, met liefs
The starter gun shatters the silence, releasing the runners from their blocks.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 149262246X, Hardcover)

10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05
Someone starts shooting.

Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 23:22:10 -0400)

Minutes after the principal of Opportunity High School in Alabama finishes her speech welcoming the student body to a new semester, they discover that the auditorium doors will not open and someone starts shooting as four teens, each with a personal reason to fear the shooter, tell the tale from separate perspectives.… (more)

Marieke Nijkamp is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible