Finding Fraser by kc dyer

Finding Fraser

by kc dyer

You may be surprised that I think a 3 star book is "worthy of my shelves." The thing about my shelves is that I like to save space for books that I could see myself recommending and lending to others. This is one of those books. Finding Fraser is about a woman, whose life is on the fast track to nowhere, going on a journey to find her own Jamie Fraser. She's a bit naive and a little out there, but I loved the premise of the book and enjoyed the journey. My one issue would have to be her little blog. Maybe posts like that worked in 2008, but not-so-much these days, especially for the amount of interaction she had.
This book is perfect for: Anyone who has read or watched Outlander. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
This book has been out for a while now, but I just refused to buy it because, how good can it be?! I mean, I am one of millions of OUTLANDER fans out there that thinks no one can come close to writing as good as Herself, right?!

Imagine my surprise when I opened my Christmas gift from my husband. My first thought was, as I looked at it and then my hubby, OMG! He’s paying attention when I ramble on and on about OUTLANDER! My second was, SHIT! Now I have to read it, or I’ll hurt his feelings.

Well, I read it and WTH! I just loved it. It was interesting, engaging, funny, sweet and surprisingly very well written.

I enjoyed the heroine’s POV and loved the way author took me on a journey which I’ll never undergo. She made me feel like I was there!

If you’re like me and are having doubts about this book, please succumb and buy it. You’ll be so glad you did.

Melanie for b2b
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
The story is about Emma Sheridan, who, at 29, having been fired from her job and with no romantic prospects, drops everything to leave Chicago, travel to Scotland, and maybe find her own Jamie Fraser as in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. She also starts a blog to document her progress.

This book has a cute premise, and I liked the way narrative chapters were interwoven with blog posts. The fact that the blog posts had comments also added to the fun. But I thought the quality of the book was very uneven. The parts about Scotland were sketchy - there she is crying over Culloden, for example, but if you weren’t already familiar with what happened there, you wouldn’t get much information here beyond the fact that many Scots died there for some reason or other. And after a very short time in the country, she starts referring to “my beloved Highlands.” Really?

Moreover, early on in the story, she is robbed in Scotland. You would think she would have then taken steps to protect her credit, for example, or to file an insurance claim, particularly since she was in constant contact with her sister, the Chief Financial Officer of a big Chicago firm. But inexplicably, she never takes any of the necessary steps.

Also, since the outcome was obvious, it would have been nice to find out more about her eventual romantic interest, who, it might be noted, only had about twenty minutes of contact with Emma before he became smitten. Instead, a yahoo that Emma thinks looks like Jamie occupies most of the story and most of Emma’s (and our) time. She is so clearly trying to fit this totally inappropriate guy (jerky to the point of caricature) into an Outlander-shaped procrustean mold that it’s hard to fathom why she doesn’t see this herself.

Finally, there wasn’t very much about the Outlander series in this book at all, aside from the Scotland setting and the jokes about kilts. Oh, and Emma’s tendency, whenever anything went wrong, to turn to the Outlander books and chase fantasies from them for solace. Her coping skills leave a lot to be desired.

Still, I think the author shows promise and creativity. Some of the characters, like Morag McGuinty, and Ashwin Patel, are very entertaining. Too bad Emma herself was so lacking. ( )
  nbmars | Jan 20, 2017 |
If you have enjoyed the Outlander series, then this is a fun book you should read. Emma really wants a Jamie of her own, and she sets out to find him. I laughed out loud a few times, and I truly enjoyed the descriptions of Scotland. This is a romance and a journey that are both enjoyable. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Jul 20, 2016 |
Is the grass greener on the other side… what if that grass is in Scotland?

Emma Sheridan just turned 29 and her personal life is in tatters so she decides to sell everything and fly to Scotland. Why Scotland? Because it is the location of her favorite book, OUTLANDER (that is how she writes it every time it is mentioned). She decides to blog about her adventures in the foreign land, with the main goal of finding her very own kilt-clad Jamie Fraser. As you would guess, things do not go according to plan and after several missteps things finally come together… or do they?

I have read many ‘spin-off/inspired by’ books so I was looking forward to a familiar backdrop of an Outlander obsessed fan. From the get-go, the main character’s decision making skills seemed more in sync with a 19 year old not a 29 year old. I often found myself rolling my eyes at her antics, whether it was due to her naiveté or just poor judgment—it was hard to determine which some times. Either way I wanted to shake her! In the end it was a fun read, nothing serious…. Great for a quick, light beach read. ( )
  Shuffy2 | Jun 19, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,073,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible