There's a Hamster in the Dashboard: A Life…

There's a Hamster in the Dashboard: A Life in Pets

by David W. Berner

animals (4) biography (1) cats (1) dogs (2) Early Reviewers (3) ebook (1) ER (1) essays (1) free (1) freebook (1) hamsters (1) June 15 (2) Kindle (2) memoir (1) pet essays (1) pets (3) read in 2015 (1) to-read (2) turtles (1)

Cute book, ode to our animal friends and how good they make us feel. Light read. ( )
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ebook received from LTER. Despite the somewhat flippant title, this book has some touching stories of how pets enrich our lives and what they teach us about love and loss. ( )
  TSORAMA | May 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Based on an ebook copy received for LTER
This was a collection of 18 short stories about the author wrote about the various animals he and other members of his family have owned over his lifetime, ranging from ants to fish to turtles, lizards, cats, and dogs. He tries to connect the experiences in each story with an emotional or life lesson, but you don't really connect with any of the pets. It's a quick, lightweight read and most of the stories could probably be read in about 5 minutes. ( )
  Sennethe | Nov 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this short, easy-reading book of essays about the author's pets. The references to popular culture would be recognizable to any one who, like me, was a child in the late 50s, early 60s, and that was half the fun of reading the book. I especially liked the chapter that recounted the day the author's dog escaped. Anyone,who loves a dog knows that awful feeling when you realize your dog has gotten loose. The searching, the worry. It was somehow comforting to share that situation with the author. ( )
  EllsieFind | Oct 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The animal-loving author reminisces about the pets that have enriched his life in this collection of short essays. Many of his pets have been dogs, and those are the stories that resonated most with me. The stories are sentimental but not melancholy. Most of the stories have a simple life lesson. This is the kind of book to dip into when you find yourself with a few spare minutes in a waiting room at the doctor's office or picking up the kids after music lessons or sports practice. I always like to have a book or two like this ready and waiting in my e-reader for those occasions.

This review is based on a complimentary electronic copy provided by the publisher through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 25, 2015 |

A book of essays by award-winning author and journalist David W. Berner is the next best thing to storytelling around a bonfire. In There’s a Hamster in the Dashboard, Berner shares stories of “a life in pets”—from a collie that herds Berner home when the author goes “streaking” through the neighborhood as a two-year-old, to a father crying in front of his son for the only time in his life while burying the family dog on the Fourth of July. And from the ant farm that seems like a great learning experience (until the ants learn how to escape), to the hamster that sets out on its own road trip (but only gets as far as the dashboard). Along the way, Berner shows that pets not only connect us with the animal world, but also with each other and with ourselves. The result is a collection of essays that is insightful and humorous, entertaining and touching.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 14:59:56 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David W. Berner's book There's a Hamster in the Dashboard: A Life in Pets was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible