Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard: A…

Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard: A Peter Nimble Adventure

by Jonathan Auxier

The Good Stuff
A deftly written fantastical epic tale for 9-12. Filled with magical creatures and eccentric characters
Full of heart and intriguing characters that never act in the way you expect them to. This my friends is a wonderous thing
Never talks down to kids - author understands that children can handle a wee bit of the dark, as long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel
Wickedly funny at times, with plenty of cheeky asides for the reader
Auxier is a master of his craft and his books should be in every childs library (and of course their mom's as well, because I was on the edge of my seat, and laughing along while reading)
Believing in ones self, the ability to change - sacrifice for what is right
Deadly battles, talking tigers - hello - what could be better than this. The language of the book reminded me of The Princess Bride on many occasions. This is a compliment - for if you do not love The Princess Bride, I fear there is no hope for you
There is something for everyone, as long as they can just believe
The importance of stories and the magic within the stories to transport you
Positively brilliant and one of my favorite opening passages of a book. A book truly for those who love books, big and small.
I'm a grown women, but I was actually bawling with tears rolling down my eyes while sitting in the back room at work (BTW, nice to know that where I work no one would think it was weird that I was crying while reading - my god I am going to miss you guys - you have truly made living here bearable - ok the mountains are purty too)
The Not So Good Stuff
My copy is an ARC so no pictures, : (
Lots of big words and dark themes may turn off readers
Favorite Quotes/Passages

"It has often been said that one should never judge a book by its cover. As any serious reader can tell you, this is terrible advice. Serious readers know the singular pleasure of handling a well-made book - the heft and texture of the case, the rasp of the spine as lit the cover, the sweet, dusty aroma of yellowed pages as they pass between your fingers. A book is more than a vessel for ideas: It is a living thing in need of love, warms, and protection. And above all, a book must be read."

"She had read many exciting stories about fugitives and runaways, and something that has always annoyed her was how little attention was paid to sensible preparations."

"Among a certain population, there is no greater way to demonstrate affection than by recommending a book." (reviewers note: there is nothing better to me in this world than getting the right book to the right reader)

"This was not how her adventure was supposed to go. People--real people that she loved- had died."

5 Dewey's

I received this from Penguin Random House in exchange for an honest review ( )
  mountie9 | Aug 11, 2016 |
Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard, the second book in the Peter Nimble series is a delightful tale!
It is targeted for middle graders (8-12) but is so well written and engaging that it can be enjoyed by all ages.

This story has an engaging plot, great banter among the main characters and is loaded with action, adventure, mystery and magic. It really does have it all and I can't imagine a child not being enamored with this series.

This book/series would make a great read aloud book to younger children as well!

Thank you to Amulet Books and Netgalley for the gift of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mrsrenee | Mar 17, 2016 |
Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard
Book 2, Peter Nimble Series
Written by Jonathan Auxier (The Night Gardener & Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes)
Expected Publication April 2016 by Amulet Books
Recommended for Ages 9+

Jonathan Auxier continues his fantastic Peter Nimble series with Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard. In Storyguard, young bookbinder Sophie Quire finds herself teamed up with Peter Nimble on a quest to continue her deceased mother's work protecting a very rare and powerful quartet of books: Who, What, When, and Where. A cast of colorful characters help (and hinder) Sophie as she tries to locate each book before a mysterious villain who is not only after the books, but murdered her mother.

Storyguard is packed with action and humor in a plot that is well paced and engaging. Readers will enjoy the fully realized characters with more dimension than simply good or evil. While intense moments occur with fantastic frequency and the story culminates in a [light spoilers begin here] city-wide battle of epic proportions, young readers shouldn't fear a heavy load. By the end of the tale everything is as it should be which makes Storyguard perfect for both middle graders and high-skill younger readers clamoring for magic and adventure. Those familiar with classic fairy tales will recognize some familiar faces in the cast and chuckle when narrative "breaks the fourth wall".

An added bonus of the tale is that Storyguard works well as a stand-alone book. Those readers not able to read Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes first shouldn't fear reading the duet out of order. The end of Storyguard beautifully sets up the possibility of a third installment (which appears to involve the mysterious "League of Maps). Enjoy! ( )
  einin | Feb 29, 2016 |

"Twelve-year-old Sophie knows little beyond the four walls of her father's bookshop, where she repairs old books and dreams of escaping the confines of her dull life. But when a strange boy and his talking cat/horse companion show up with a rare and mysterious book, she finds herself pulled into an adventure beyond anything she has ever read."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible