These Are the Moments by Jenny Bravo

These Are the Moments

by Jenny Bravo

711,138,814 (3)None

It took me exactly one week to determine what I’m feeling about this book. On one hand, you could say I enjoyed it, but in a very detached manner. On the other hand, I’d just like to say that there are so many things that irked me while reading this book, so I’m going to have to leave the judging to you – who knows? Maybe you’re going to like it more than I did, because I have seen reviews praising this book.

I found the characters in this story extremely annoying and difficult to relate to. The protagonist, Wendy, irks me so much, Simon is self-centered, and Vivian is bitchy. Maybe it’s just how the author intended them to be…

The only character I found to be remotely tolerable is Reese, she’s funny and I liked her. She’s the only one who slaps Wendy with a reality check whenever she drifts off into lala land and starts whining about Simon “not reciprocating her feelings”. An example:

Reese shrugged and sipped at her soda. “What do you want from boys in bars, Wendy? A ring?”

Goddamn, woman. So, generally, I just think Wendy isn’t a very strong protagonist.

…Which brings us to our next point, Wendy & Simon.

The story is told with chapters that alternate from ‘Then’ and ‘Now’, and as a result, it’s pretty hard getting a feel for the characters until later on in the story. I love how the author wrote about Wendy and Simon’s bittersweet love and how she wasn’t afraid to show the ugly sides of a relationship – which I totally admire. However, I didn’t understand their relationship. Why couldn’t Simon love Wendy? What’s holding him back? We never get answers for that. I also found their relationship damaging; they fought over trivial things and carelessly apologized afterwards (which lessened the value and meaning of the apology after the first – oh I don’t know – three times?)

Also, the writing style in this book is different than what I normally read, more inarticulate – which contributed even more to my disinterest and detachment to the characters.

Overall, I just really wanted to enjoy this book but I unfortunately couldn’t. The protagonist is weak and irritating, the other characters were flat and underdeveloped, and the dynamic between Simon and Wendy just didn’t do it for me ( )
  fatimareadsbooks | Aug 18, 2015 |

You can't go back. You can't go back. You can't go back. Ten years ago, Wendy Lake fell in love with Simon Guidry, who grew up and went away. Now, not much has changed. She's back at home, back from college, almost back to normal. Until Wendy's best friend gets engaged, sending Simon ricocheting back into her life, and leaving Wendy with the questions she's been struggling to ignore. Do people ever really change? Do two people, who can never make it work, actually make it right? And most importantly, does she even want to?

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:03:05 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,222,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible