Remember Mia by Alexandra Burt

Remember Mia

by Alexandra Burt

This book started off great. I so wanted to know what happened to seven-month-old Mia. Not only does Mia disappear from her crib, but all of her things are gone too. Mia's mother, Estelle, was found days later, barely alive, at the bottom of a ravine, hours away from home, with bits and pieces of her memory.

But then the story draaaaaagged onnn. My eyes were reading but my brain was somewhere else, so I had to re-read a lot of paragraphs. I found it jumped around a bit, but that could be me as I lost and gained interest. I did not like the ending. This book was very disappointing. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I seem to be swimming against the tide with this book but I'm afraid I really didn't like it. It had great promise a missing baby, a traumatized mother and comparisons to Gone Girl and The Girl on a train, oh hang on that should have been my first clue as I was unimpressed with the former and left the latter on a train in disgust(ironic I know). There seems to be a leaning towards books with unpleasant main characters at the moment and I'm afraid it's lost on me.
Estelle is a mess who seems to have fallen into motherhood because she's failed at everything else. Suffering from post natal depression when she wakes up one morning to discover her baby is gone she fails to report her missing to the police and then turns up at the bottom of a ravine missing an ear. Oh and did I mention she has amnesia, yes really. I'm sure people do genuinely suffer from amnesia but for me it's a lazy plotline. I also appreciate that post natal depression is an horrendous affliction but the fact that Estelle was so useless before seemed to imply that she was more likely to get it which irritated me no end. I may be reading too much into it but then what followed was so bonkers I couldn't forget my initial misgivings. I finished it purely because I wanted to know what happened to Mia but to be honest by half way through I couldn't help but think she was probably better off where she was. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
It is rare I sit down and finish a book in a 24-hour period. However, this book was hard to put down, despite me watching the last Dodger game Vin Skully announced and checking my iPhone. The book has the feeling of Gone Girl. It didn't end the way I envisioned. The prose is expertly written, and one can see into the protagonist's heart and brain. ( )
  NanaDebs | Jan 9, 2017 |
A good psychological thriller, but a bit confusing at times. This is a novel about a disturbed mother of a missing baby. The mother has post partum depression and questions herself about how her child might have disappeared. The story has lots of twists and turns but a few loose ends. I am not sure I liked the ending! ( )
  teeth | Apr 25, 2016 |
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & MoreReview
Remember Mia had me enthralled. I couldn't stop reading, and had to find out what happened.

My heart ached for Estelle's loss. Even when I suspected her, and wanted to shake her senseless. Estelle definitely doesn't handle things the way you would think someone who discovers her child is missing would. She struggles through many things when it comes to motherhood. I think if some of those issues had been handled differently this would have been a completely different story.

That being said, we get delve into Estelle's memories. From childhood until the moments before she woke up in the hospital. Not all at once, but each memory is triggered during the therapy with her doctor to try to find the truth about what happened to Mia. The whole time Estelle believes herself to be a monster. She isn't sure what she's capable of, and doesn't know what many of the images in her memory mean. She's thrown into a rabbit hole of her sadness.

Remember Mia has twists and turns that will have you flipping the pages to find the conclusion of the story. You're not sure how everything is going to turn out, and if it will be a happy or sad ending. In the end, all we have is hope. Hope that you can dig yourself out of despair, handle what motherhood gives you, and that everything will turn out okay in the end. I couldn't imagine being int he predicament the characters in this story face. There were moments when I gasped, and others where I was horrified. In the end, I'm happy I read this book. It gives a different look at motherhood, and how people cope with their emotions. Also how one reacts to events, and how those actions can be detrimental, or uplifting.

Guest Post
The Write Place
by Alexandra Burt
I pinch myself and I feel pain. It’s real: contracts, agents, publishers, my first book.
Remember Mia is a story of a missing baby, of motherhood, shortcomings, and isolation. But no
one tells stories like life itself and my journey is one of the most unlikely stories you will ever hear.
I was born in Germany in a small town in the East Hesse Highlands. The area is heavily
wooded with ranges of hills and forests straight out of Grimm’s fairytales. I was a gluttonous
reader—something I shared with my late mother—and I love to share my favorite memory of
her: There were no bookstores in town, I was too young to take the bus to the city and so I made
do with a small library in the basement of the city hall. I depleted the entire library within a
couple of years and from then on I was dependent on other people’s books. I’d watch my mother
read, a ferocious reader like myself, and I‘d wait for her to finish. Hurry up, I’d say, read faster,
how much longer, are you done? One day, tired of my nagging, she took a paperback and ripped
it in half, handed me the first half and continued to read the second. We had solved our dilemma
and from then on our shelves were filled with torn books. Many visitors gave us sideway glances
imagining some unruly children or pets destroying the spines of our books. We never told.
I studied English in middle school and read some English literature in high school but
read exclusively in my native language. After I moved to Texas, I worked as a freelance
translator and started reading English novels. The plan was to break into literary translations but
the union never panned out and I so decided to tell my own stories. I took writing classes and
eventually published some short fiction.
Between classes and publishing my short stories, years passed and those were in fact
difficult years. They seemed rather challenging considering I spent my days emerging myself in
concepts I really didn’t understand; there were the pragmatic mechanics like plot, pace, and
point-of-view but there were also the elusive concepts of voice, mood, atmosphere, and tone and not much made sense.
My unlikely story of authorhood, as implausible as it sounds, was inevitable in a way; I
love the English language and what Dorothy L. Sayers called its “deceptive air of simplicity.” I
recall the night I started writing Remember Mia, I recall imagining a woman in the grips of
postpartum depression, confronted by a psychiatrist to solve the disappearance of her infant
daughter, a tale of motherhood, of shortcomings, and isolation, and it felt like coming home; I
have lived in many places but once I set foot into the write place, I knew I was home.
There’s nothing else I can imagine doing for the rest of my life.
I’m going to stay put.

Giveaway

BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

Like Girl on the Train and Gone Girl, Remember Mia is a riveting psychological suspense, exploring what happens when a young mother’s worst nightmare becomes devastatingly real…

First I remember the darkness.
Then I remember the blood.
I don’t know where my daughter is.

Estelle Paradise wakes up in a hospital after being found near dead at the bottom of a ravine with a fragmented memory and a vague sense of loss. Then a terrifying reality sets in: her daughter is missing.

Days earlier, Estelle discovered her baby’s crib empty in their Brooklyn apartment. There was no sign of a break-in, but all traces of seven-month-old Mia had disappeared. Her diapers, her clothes, her bottles—all gone.

Frustrated and unable to explain her daughter’s disappearance, Estelle begins a desperate search. But when the lack of evidence casts doubt on her story, Estelle becomes the number one suspect in the eyes of the police and the media.

As hope of reuniting with Mia becomes all she has left, Estelle will do anything to find answers: What has she done to her baby? And what has someone else done to her?

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 19:32:46 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Alexandra Burt's book Remember Mia was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,004,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible