Garrett by Sawyer Bennett

Garrett

by Sawyer Bennett

Other authors: Tantor Audio (Publisher)

Series: Cold Fury Hockey (Feb 2015 - book 2)

This is the second book in the Cold Fury series by the marvelous Sawyer Bennett and I LOVED every second of this story.
I am hoping you have all read Alex (book 1), if not, no worries! It can be a standalone. Anyway, if you did read Alex’s book, you will remember Garrett the manwhore/King of one night stands. Well he has finally got his own book, when he meets his match in Sutton’s cousin Olivia.
Olivia just found out she has cancer, even though it has knocked her for a loop, she is determined to live. Fist she decided she would take on the King of the one night stands, but Garrett surprises everyone, by making it more than one night. Garrett then surprises them all again, when he stands by Olivia’s side. He is determined to be there for her, until she stops him in his tracks.
I honestly didn’t think that I could love Garrett more, after getting Alex and Sutton back together with the Love Actually ploy in book 1! But I was wrong, wrong, wrong! Ohhhhh how I love his character, his determination, his love and putting his fears aside for the women he loves. Olivia’s character was so strong and yet so vulnerable at the same time. Sutton’s character was a little annoying in this book, but maybe that’s because she doubted Garrett. But yea for Alex! He is a fierce defender of his friend.
Overall this book was well written and informed. The research the author did in to the medical was extensive but not overwhelming. I found no plot holes and as in the first book, the ending was so freaking amazing!!!!!!
As you can tell I really enjoyed this book and give it 10 out of 10! I am hoping for another Cold Fury Hockey book soon.
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
Absolutely fantastic book! Garrett is the joking playboy of the Cold Fury hockey team and isn't looking for anything past his next fling. That is until he meets Olivia Case. She's strong, sexy, smart and not easily charmed. These characters are so real and passionate you feel like you know them. And this story is one that just pulls your heart right in from the first page to the last. You absolutely must put this one on the must read list! I highly recommend it. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
Garrett by Sawyer Bennett
Book #2: Cold Fury Hockey Series
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 5/5 stars
My Review:

There are hot men with skills and then there is Garrett Samuelson. As Garrett’s story opens, he is still indulging in his man whorish ways but knows the party is about to come to an end as the next Cold Fury is about to begin. Sure, Garrett loves the ladies and they certainly love him but hockey is everything and getting back into a season takes a back seat to nothing!

Olivia Case is bright, beautiful and, very sick. She is devoted to her friends and family, loves her job, has always been a committed relationship kind of girl but, cancerous is an indiscriminate bitch and doesn’t care that Olivia is far from done living her life. With an uncertain future ahead of her and with the encouragement of her best-friend, Olivia decides it is now or never and she is going to break some of her own rules and experience a little bit of life. Garrett Samuelson seems like an excellent place to start and given his reputation, scoring a one-night stand shouldn’t be all that difficult.

When Garrett meets Olivia he experiences something he long thought he lost the capacity to feel, the desire to see a woman more than once and in an upright position and fully clothed. Olivia is like a breath of fresh air and with her intelligence, beauty and, willingness to go with the flow, Garrett is interested in more than just sex. For what may be the first time in his life, Garrett is ready to take things slowly and see what the future holds with one and only one woman. Though Olivia is pleased that Garrett is respectful of her and her feelings, she feels like there is a timer counting down on both her relationship with Garrett and her life. Olivia is well aware of Garrett’s “dating” habits and after a few brief discussions and some very heated kisses, Olivia convinces Garrett that she is more than ready to get horizontal. What neither counts on is how extremely good together they are and the feelings that one sexual encounter awakens in each.

Olivia does not, under any circumstances want Garrett to know about her condition and all Garrett wants is to be closer to her. At odds with their desires and unwilling to open up fully to the other, Olivia and Garrett stumble around a lot in an effort to protect one another. Olivia doesn’t want Garrett to feel responsible or obligated to her in any way and can’t believe that the one-time playboy is so willing to change his ways for a sick and potentially dying woman. Garrett is true in both his actions and his words and once the truth comes out, he does everything within his power to support Olivia and convince her that no matter what her situation is, he wants to be with her. In fact, it takes Garrett about a nanosecond to realize that there really is something in his life that is far, far more important than hockey.

For a time, Olivia and Garrett make things work but Olivia is so very fearful of hurting Garrett in any way that she allows her fears to not only consume her but to rule her. In a moment of shear panic, Olivia leaves Garrett with little to no explanation and shatters his world. To make matters far, far worse, Olivia refuses to answer her phone and/or respond to texts. Not only does she shut Garrett out but also her family and best friend. With no way to actually talk to her, Garrett reaches out to her family and friends and each and every one comes to his aid. Sure, everyone gets that the cancer is scary and potentially life-threatening but Olivia’s actions are those of a coward and everyone, including her knows it!

The Bottom Line: Through and through Garrett is one of the hottest and best books I have read! From the moment she finds out about her cancer, Olivia pisses me off. She has love and support surrounding her at every turn yet she allows her fears to dominate her thinking and her actions. In the moments when she is free and happy, Olivia is endearing and fun but the dark moments have a tendency to overshadow everything. From the first page, I fell for Garrett and rooted for him right up to the very end!! I love a bad boy gone good and Garrett certainly epitomizes that. Garrett may have a man whore reputation but at his core, he is a good man with a huge capacity for love and caring. Olivia takes up residence in his heart almost immediately and Garrett is more than happy to put away his past dalliances and focus all of his attention on Olivia. Sure, Garrett is scared for Olivia and wants her to be happy and healthy but he never lets his fear overshadow his love for her and his every action speaks to that. In all, Garrett is both a heartbreaking and completely uplifting read. Bennett delves into some serious darkness with the cancer diagnosis but she beautifully balances that darkness with a message of hope, support and, love. Garrett is as sexy as he is caring and make no mistake about it, the naughty bits are all kinds of sexy as hell and totally appropriate for this read. The cherry on top of the sexy sundae is the epilogue and though I won’t spoil it for you here, I will say that is one of the most satisfying parts of the entire read. Even better? Zack, book three of the Cold Fury Hockey series is already available for pre-order and I have already one-clicked!! ( )
  arthistorychick | Apr 16, 2015 |
LOVE this story!!

Garrett & Olivia have immediate chemistry. At first, she avoids his advances but soon decides to "live life to the fullest" and give in to what she assumes will be a fling. She hides a secret about herself from Garrett, thinking it won't be more than a one night stand at most anyway. But when he proves he wants more, will she be brave enough to try.

Just read it! Passion, chemistry, angst, emotions, it has it all. You won't be disappointed.
  Books007 | Feb 18, 2015 |
Carolina Cold Fury star hockey player Garrett Samuelson enjoys having a good time. He also has a reputation as a ladies man. However, when he meets Olivia Case, he is intrigued and wants to get to know her better. Unfortunately, Olivia has cancer and is uncertain of pursuing a relationship.

I loved this book! It was absolutely touching and heartfelt.

Garrett won me over in the first book of the series, Alex. I was really excited to hear his story. He is a great friend to Alex. He is strong and has an outstanding personality. Sometimes he is not given enough credit, but he is a good man with a big heart.

Olivia is a sweet heroine. I love her artsy disposition. My heart went out to her for all she endured. I liked that she learns a lot about herself throughout this novel.

The story was very convincing and believable. The couple struggle with their relationship and their situations. They act justifiably, and your heart goes out to them.

Garrett was one of those books I just could not stop thinking about. It had a serious emotional impact on me. One of my closest friends is a nurse who administers chemotherapy. I kept thinking about this story and told my friend that she just had to read this book. Some of the scenes in this novel can definitely be appreciated by anyone who has experienced or knows someone that has undergone chemo.

I am not going to give anything away. One of my favorite scenes is when Olivia’s best friend/boss, Stevie, goes with her to chemotherapy and has a little surprise for her. The experience is priceless. Olivia is lucky to have incredible friends in her life.

Garrett is a well-written and thought-provoking novel. It is a story about living life to its fullest and not giving up. Sawyer Bennett is an incredible writer. I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys contemporary romances. While you could read this book as a standalone, I recommend reading Alex first. You would be further invested in the characters making you appreciate the story more.

Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Feb 9, 2015 |

Sawyer Bennettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dukehart, CrisReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Halstead, GrahamReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, TantorPublishersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

From author's website:

Carolina Cold Fury star Garrett Samuelson never wants to miss out on a single minute of fun. Whether he’s playing hockey, hanging out with friends, or walking the red carpet with a new date on his arm, he lives every day to the fullest. When he meets Olivia Case, he sees someone who’s exactly his type—confident, sexy, smart . . . his next fling. But the more he pursues her, the more Garrett shares a side of himself that other women don’t normally get to see.

Olivia has been keeping a secret. While Garrett lives for the next thrill, Olivia’s not sure she’ll live to see the next day. She’s undergoing treatment for some serious medical issues, and she doesn’t have time for a relationship with no guarantees—especially one with a hot-as-sin womanizer who won’t take no for an answer. But as she gets to know the real Garrett, Olivia can’t help falling for him . . . hard. To reveal the truth would mean risking everything—but you can’t score without taking the tough shots.

-- Praise for -- ?All Romance Reviews -- ?The Romance Vault ? Includes a special message from the editor, as well as an excerpt from another Loveswept title.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,679,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible