Twisted Dark Volume 1 by Dan West

Twisted Dark Volume 1

by Dan West

511,436,638 (3.5)None

I am not a fan of short stories, which resulted in my not being totally into this graphic novel. Even so, the stories are dark and gritty and super realistic. There isn't any fantasy here, just cold truths. The thing about these shorts are that they all feel real, like they are based on a specific persons experiences. Dark stuff, but very good and not over the top like some graphic novels can be these days.

Examples of issues dealt with:
- Drug dealing
- 3rd world labor issues
- Mental disorders (in fact there are several of these... I would almost say the majority deal with some form of mental disorder)

The art is lovely too. There are several different styles throughout the novel, and while they are repeated, it keeps the ascetic from being bland. I'd like to also add that the cover is truly, truly creepy once you have a context for it. Love it!

In reading the forward, I was looking for the three "connections" that were apparently sprinkled through the stories, but I didn't see any. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough? Gibson says that they increase in incidence the further you get into the serial, and I have part two ready to go so maybe I'll see a few in the next one.

Copy courtesy of Diamond Book Distributors, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,641,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible