srsly Hamlet by William Shakespeare
412279,442 (5)None

I am not a fan of "text language", but this retelling of Hamlet was hysterical, complete with emoticons. I found it fascinating that one could tell this 5 act play in such an abbreviated language and still get the story across.
This would be an excellent way to introduce Shakespeare or teach alongside. There was also a version of Romeo and Juliet.
  mtknick | Apr 6, 2016 |
Confession time: I don’t really know the story of Hamlet all that well. I didn’t study it at school and I haven’t seen it as a movie/play. Yes, I know there are some classic lines (think ‘to be or not to be’ and poor Yorick) but I didn’t know the story except something about a king and his mother. Srsly Hamlet changed that for me. By ‘translating’ the play into text speak and voice memos (something I understand a little better than Shakespeare, although I did have to make occasional use of the glossary at the back - what is TL;DR:?) I could really get into the whole storyline. And I found is fascinating – what a great story! It involves love, murder, deceit, hate, anger and some crazy ideas. I don’t know if I’m ready to handle the original yet, but I would feel more comfortable knowing the storyline.

Unfortunately poor Yorick isn’t in this version, although ‘to be or not to be’ gets a modern update thanks to emojis (just look at the cover). Once again, I think (and have now tested) that these books are a good way to get teens interested in Shakespeare. They’d be a great supplement to studying the play or as a first introduction. There’s modern updates that will keep teens entertained (one of the things Hamlet complains about is how Claudius always uses filters on his images) – if you’re a purist, you might not like these, but then you probably wouldn’t be reading this book! There’s also some jokes about autocorrect, which I thought was funny – it kind of turns the whole idea of classics on their head. Both adults and teens will enjoy this book if they’re after a chuckle, as well as getting a feel for the story. It’s a light, fun read.

Thanks to Random House Australia for the copy of this book. My review is honest.

For more reviews, please visit http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Dec 4, 2015 |

William Shakespeareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carbone, Courtneymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

Hamlet, one of the greatest stories ever told . . . in texts?!

Imagine: What if Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, and the tragic Ophelia had smartphones? A classic is reborn in this fun and funny adaptation of one of Shakespeare’s most famous plays!

A kingdom on the brink of war.
A stolen throne.
A boy seeking revenge.

"William Shakespeare's tragedy told in the style of texts, tweets, and status posts"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,402,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible