Dreamscape: Saving Alex by Kirstin Pulioff

Dreamscape: Saving Alex

by Kirstin Pulioff

I received an ARC ebook from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Excellent — 4.5 out of 5 stars.

A sci-fi/fantasy combo, "Dreamscape: Saving Alex" relies heavily on fantasy elements to tell a compelling adventure between Alex--a real person--and the game's characters.

In summary, "Dreamscape: Saving Alex" is a good romance/adventure novel that will appeal to the fantasy audience. ( )
  Gerardo.Delgadillo | Mar 29, 2016 |
“Reality, dream, or insanity, it didn’t matter. I didn’t want to die. That meant one thing. No more messing around. I had to play the game, level by level, until I saved the queen.
There was only one problem. I’d never won without my codes.”
Alexis “Alex” Stone finds herself being pulled in different directions. Her cold mother decided to move up their moving day to the weekend, her crush dumped her for another girl, oh, and she found herself stuck in her favorite childhood video game all in the same day. Like most good heroes, Alex starts out flawed and slightly annoying. She starts in the game with the mentality that nothing is real, but the deeper in the game and the closer to the people she gets the more real it becomes and the line between real and fantasy starts to blur. Alex is eventually faced with the decisions to face her role as the “Golden Hero” or to take her secret shortcuts and leave the rebellion behind and find her own way home.

Arrow is the character that brings the world to life. He’s the leader of the rebellion in Lockhorn and the campaign to save the queen. He’s also Alex’s main romantic interest. Arrow is sweet, but also a natural leader so he’s also naturally concentrating more on the rebellion, but still has time for nice moments.Melody is the strong female character of the book. She’s cheeky with the men in the army but quite deadly with her weapons. I really started to like this character and wish she had more time in the book.

The world of Lockhorn is loosely centered around the game Alex remembers, but much more vivid. The world is full of interesting creatures such as flowers with acidic pollen and birds with razor sharp feathers. Of course, what’s a game without castles with traps, guards, secret passages, and missions? There’s also some pretty standard game items: chests of gold and magic items.

There are a few complaints I have about the book. You would, of course, expect the game to be different when you’re living it, but from what Alex relays it is nearly a completely different experience. Names and places are completely unfamiliar to her even though she still has the game memorized. Also, fireworks marks the end of each level but there’s no structure or design to what a certain objective was to a “level”. Though, admittedly, Arrow states that he is real, so maybe separating Lockhorn the world from the game was part of Pulioff’s plan.

Overall, Dreamscape: Saving Alex is a good ya fantasy that I recommend to gamers and fans of quick-light romances.

www.ReadingBifrost.com ( )
  ReadingBifrost | May 16, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible