Runaways: The Complete Collection Volume 3…

Runaways: The Complete Collection Volume 3

by Brian K. Vaughan

I liked the first two volumes of this series, but, I think that this third volume was my favorite. It included many issues of their own series, as well as Runaway/Young Avenger crossovers that went with the two big Marvel stories of the time, the original Civil War and Secret Invasion. Oh, and they were even thrown back in time in this TPB.

It wasn’t a perfect TPB story wise. Some of the Xavin/Karolina stuff still didn’t sit perfectly well with me.

Still, overall, it was a fun read. Oh, and the art, I don’t always care about whether the art is good or bad or middling, I read comics for the stories, and the art is a nice extra, but, in this book, wow. Amazing art! ( )
  DanieXJ | May 19, 2018 |
Less enthusiastic about this collection, mainly because of the Young Avengers crossover - there were too many new and unfamiliar (to me) characters to keep track of. Readers of both comics were probably delighted at the crossover/mashup (probably...?). The "Runaways Saga" in the form of Molly's journal about halfway through provided a good recap of events from beginning to present. Collection ends with a Skrull invasion of New York.

Quotes

"When you're dead set on doing the right think, sometimes it's hard to recognize that you're going it in the wrong way." (Lotus, one of Alex's former gamer friends, to Chase, as he sets off to get the Gibborim to revive Gert from the dead; Runaways 20)

"You play grown-up long enough and you lose your perspective on right and wrong. Why not put it off for as long as possible?" (Nico to Young Avengers; Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways 4)

"This is all we do! This is our life! We try to do something right, we mess it up, we die, we frikkin' DIE and we blame someone and then do it all again." (Nico to Xavin, Karolina's betrothed Super Skrull in training; Runaways 26) ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 7, 2017 |

As the superhuman Civil War threaten to crush the Runaways, fellow teen team the Young Avengers offer assistance - but how can the Runaways trust that they're on the same side? As the Runaways make hard decisions about their future, they confront a horrific enemy who threatens to tear the team apart! Then, the Skrulls launch their Secret Invasion - and the Runaways and Young Avengers both have a Skrull on their team. Coincidence?

COLLECTING: CIVIL WAR: YOUNG AVENGERS 1-4, RUNAWAYS (2005) 19-30, RUNAWAYS SAGA 1, SECRET INVASION: RUNAWAYS/YOUNG AVENGERS 1-3

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jul 2015 02:50:48 -0400)

They were six normal teenagers linked only by their wealthy parents' annual business meeting...until a chance discovery revealed the shocking truth: their parents are the secret criminal society known as the Pride! For years, the Pride controlled all criminal activity in Los Angeles, ruling the city with an iron fist...and now, with their true natures exposed, the Pride will take any measures necessary to protect their organization - even if it means taking out their own children! Now on the run from their villainous parents, Nico, Chase, Karolina, Gertrude, Molly and Alex have only each other to rely on.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,250,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible