Undercover Bride: (Undercover Ladies) by…

Undercover Bride: (Undercover Ladies)

by Margaret Brownley

Title: Undercover Bride (Undercover Ladies #2)
Author: Margaret Brownley
Pages: 320
Year: 2015
Publisher: Shiloh Run Press
Maggie Cartwright is 26 years old and has just answered an ad for a mail-order bride. Her husband-to-be is the number one suspect in a train robbery that happened two years ago. The Pinkerton Agency never gives up on a case and has been working this case for two years. Now, with Maggie on the scene, they hope to finally wrap this one up. Maggie has created a fictional past in her letters to Garrett Thomas during their previous months of correspondence. She has arrived in the Arizona Territory under the pretense of marrying Garrett, but what she is really been assigned to do is learn where he has hidden the money from the train robbery and who is partner in crime is.
She moves in with the family, searches the house and begins taking care of Garrett’s two young children. As time progresses, she finds no evidence of the money anywhere and begins to care for the children and Garrett. She tells herself to stay on task, to not get emotionally involved and finish her assignment, but the wedding date looms closer and closer. She finally stumbles onto a clue, but will it be enough to prove who the criminal is to solve the case?
After reading the first book in the series and finding it just so-so, I wanted to give the series a second chance before writing it off. I’m glad I did. I enjoyed this second book in the series much more. I thought the story flowed well with a good plot, the characters were likeable and the faith of Maggie very evident. I loved the character of Aunt Hetty! The mystery portion of the story was not much of a challenge, but the journey to discover the answers was entertaining. I’m now looking forward to book three in the series to see what interesting situation the next Pinkerton lady detective finds herself in and how she will solve the case.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Sep 9, 2015 |
If you like westerns, detective novels, romantic stories, and books that will make you laugh out loud, then you need to read Undercover Bride without further delay!

This second book in Margaret Brownley’s Undercover Ladies series is jam-packed with the perfect amount of suspense, history, humor, and of course romance. It is perfectly fine as a stand-alone; in fact, you can read the books in any order as they are really only connected by theme rather than by characters. And while we’re on the subject, never fear if the first book in the series – Petticoat Detective – wasn’t your favorite. It wasn’t mine either. (I liked PD… just not as much as some of her other books.) Don’t let that stop you from reading Undercover Bride. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and the wide range of emotions I experienced while reading it.

Maggie’s partner Rikker gave me most of my laughs – each new getup/disguise (and Maggie’s reaction to them) amused me more than the ones he’d previously used. Sharp-tongued hypochondriac Aunt Hetty and inventor-in-the-making Toby (who confidently had an answer for everything) also proved to be delightfully humorous. If I wasn’t grinning at their antics, I was grinning at Garrett’s romantical gestures (and Maggie’s reaction to them). Cue the dreamy sigh.

But that’s the thing about this book. My dreamy sighs didn’t last very long because I spent most of the book keeping pace with Maggie as she tried to decide whether or not Garrett was guilty. Just about the time Maggie & I became convinced of his innocence, Margaret Brownley would throw us another emotional curveball, and it was back to the drawing board. Then I thought I had the co-culprit figured out… only to discover I was wrong.

Definitely a truly entertaining must-read.

Thank you, Netgalley, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Read more of my review at: https://readingismysuperpower.wordpress.com/2015/06/24/review-undercover-bride/ ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,976,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible