The Lies About Truth by Courtney C. Stevens

The Lies About Truth

by Courtney C. Stevens

This book was not as good as Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens, but it does live up to her amazing writing style. Her writing is just so immersing, and that makes me so happy.

Both of her stand alones have a common theme to them. They both deal with very important and touchy subjects, and they both have a sense of mystery to them. Her book just make up my heart. They are so easy to read. The characters are always fleshed out and realistic. You can't ask for more. Actually, by the end of the book you want more and more and more.

When I was reading this book, I kept notes, and one of the notes said, " I love how she words, words." I seriously do. Every sentence in that book I imagine to be written with passion and love because that'show they feel.
The story was so amazing too. It was so adventurous and nostalgic and emotional and even inspiring It was written to almost perfection.

The only thing against it is that I felt that the characters needed more to them. Some characters who were there the entire time had barely any substance to them.

I'm okay with that actually. I just wanted more.
It's an amazing book, and I don't regret reading it. It was so inspiring and encouraging, and I took so many quote out of it because I connected so much to them. This book has become a piece of my soul that I will never forget. ( )
  Marteenreadsbooks | Jan 9, 2017 |
A year after her best friend, Trent, dies in a car crash that left Sadie scarred both physically and emotionally, she is still trying to deal with the fallout. This story is about trying to forgive, trying to heal, and the power of friendships, family and love. Well written, and I think it will be popular with my "The Fault in Our Stars" readers, even though the books are completely different. ( )
  JRlibrary | Mar 20, 2016 |
This book is about a group of friends who are trying to pick up the pieces after a tragic car accident. The story is told from the pov of Sadie who almost died in the accident and was left scarred physically and emotionally. It's a beautifully written novel about family, friendships, loss, forgiveness and healing. I love the fact that the adults in this story are very encouraging and responsible. I really like the writing style of the author, I found so many great quotes to add to my collection. There's a quiet introspectiveness in the way she weaves her words that you can't help but connect with the protagonist. I hope to also read her debut novel - Faking Normal, I've read great reviews about it. ( )
  VavaViolet | Feb 3, 2016 |
3.5 stars

It took a while to get into this book but as the story unravelled it drew me in with the emails, flashbacks, envelopes and the list. Overall, I liked Sadie who was scarred and insecure, although she was trapped in the past and I wanted her to be courageous and move forward. I loved Max who was always kind, supportive and there for Sadie. I also enjoyed the secondary characters Gray, Gina and Trent, and the presence of Sadie's parents. Often the parents in YA novels are dysfunctional or not around, but both parents, especially Sadie's mother, played an important, loving role in her life. "The Lies About Truth" was a heart-warming story about grief, friendship, the truth and forgiveness. A nice read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Sadie Kingston is a high school student who has survived the car accident that killed one of her best friends. She has physical and mental scars from the crash, and she has removed herself from almost everything and everyone she found important before the accident.

Let me start by saying that it's pretty rare for me to give a book a five star rating. It's even more rare for me to give two books by the same author five stars. Therefore, it's pretty astonishing to find myself saying that I rank THE LIES ABOUT TRUTH by Courtney Stevens as one of the top five contemporary YA books I've ever read--with her first book, FAKING NORMAL, being another of those 5.

As in the first book by Stevens, THE LIES ABOUT TRUTH is about teens who are broken by some of life's greatest challenges. Stevens's characters confront a dark and heavy issue with strength and wisdom. That said, they aren't freakishly strong nor unnaturally wise. They're just teenagers who are making mistakes and then trying to undo those mistakes as best they can. As I read, I embraced their weaknesses as much as their strength.

Stevens has some beautiful sentences enmeshed in the difficult subject matter and she shows amazing talent for writing. She also proves to be an apt teacher because THE LIES ABOUT TRUTH gives the reader lessons on grieving, loving, friendship, and forgiveness--and she does so without relying on stereotypes and formulas. For that, I am incredibly grateful.

With this book, Courtney Stevens has taken a place on my short list of authors whose books I will buy the instant they hit the shelves. ( )
  kalky | Jan 11, 2016 |

In the same vein as Jandy Nelson and Gayle Forman comes a novel from the gifted author of Faking Normal, Courtney C. Stevens, about hope and courage and the struggle to overcome the pain of loss.

Sadie Kingston is living in the aftermath. A year after surviving a car accident that killed her friend Trent and left her body and face scarred, she can't move forward. The only person who seems to understand her is Trent's brother, Max.

As Sadie begins to fall for Max, she's unsure if she is truly healed enough to be with him. But Max looks at her scars and doesn't shy away. And Max knows about the list she writes in the sand at the beach every night, the list of things that Sadie knows she must accomplish before she can move on from the accident. And while he can help her with number six (kiss someone without flinching), she knows she's on her own with number three (forgive Gina and Gray) and the rest of the seemingly impossible tasks that must be made possible before she can live in the now again.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 04 Aug 2015 21:38:26 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,900,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible