Map of Fates by Maggie Hall

Map of Fates

by Maggie Hall

If you want to read about teens jet setting around Europe, wearing haute couture, and attending fancy parties on yachts, fashion houses, and palaces this is the book for you. And, it has a great cover. However, this book did not make me any more enamored of this kind of lifestyle or behavior than I was before. This is the second in a projected YA trilogy that started with Conspiracy of Us. This was purely easy listening and just as I was less than thrilled with the prospect of teens wearing designer clothes jet setting to the current hotspots around the world and spending copious amounts of money, all the while engaging in implausible filial duty to both mother, father, and family in the first book, this volume proved to be more of the same. So enough. This will be the end of this story for me. However, I am sure that teens will love it. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jul 5, 2017 |
The first half of this book is a bit slow, but after that the story gains momentum. I like Avery's character development, especially towards the end. Although I didn't like what happened to one of the characters close to Avery (after all the trouble she went through), I get why the author chose to do that. In the first book I was a fan of Jack (yes, another love triangle), but in this book I'm leaning towards Stellan, I think he has great chemistry with Avery. There are some parts that confused me, so I had to re-read it, but overall I enjoyed this book. Looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 3, 2016 |
Things pick up pretty much immediately after the end of the first story, there's a lot of ground to cover. Avery is keeping a low profile with Jack, trying to figure out more clues to unlock the secrets of the Circle and to rescue her mother, who was taken hostage at the end of the first book. The Circle and the Order both seek the answer to an ages old riddle, one that Avery and Stellan may be able to assist with solving. The action moves quickly, and there is international travel, twists, and triangles galore. I admit I noticed this time that those European teens smoke a lot--good way for there always to be lighter at the ready. ( )
  ethel55 | May 2, 2016 |
The Conspiracy of Us read like a teenage wish-fulfillment fantasy rather than a well-plotted novel. Don't get me wrong, it was totally fun, but in an ABC Family kind of way. Map of Fates takes the premise laid out in the first novel and runs with it, to great effect. This is a fun, action-filled read, with absolutely no basis in reality. I don't know that I care much about any of the characters, but I enjoy the over-the-top, globe-trotting, action/adventure-film-ness of the story so much that it could have been populated with actual stick people and I still would have enjoyed the hell out of it. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible