The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine

The Shadow Queen

by C.J. Redwine

Series: Ravenspire (1)

It is a re-telling so it's not the most original storyline. I really liked what she did with the characters though. This was no damsel in distress waiting for her prince to kiss her and make it all better, no Lorelai was kick ass.

I know I seem to be in the minority here but after having two books in a row where I just couldn't connect with the characters and spent most the time wondering 'why the hell did they do that', it was nice seeing a smart, independent, strong female lead take care of herself.

I mean the plot wasn't the most original but I like what was done with it. I liked the mystical realm Redwine built and honestly I'm pretty excited for the next one. ( )
  NerdyHousewifey | Feb 1, 2019 |
Started kinda slow and it took awhile to connect with the characters but I was enchanted by the end. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
I really enjoyed Redwine's Defiance Trilogy for its strong characters and thrilling plotline, so I was eagerly awaiting her next series. Not only did the Shadow Queen have an awesome cover but I'm a sucker for a good fairy tale retelling and I knew Redwine would do a great job.

I'm not sure how many people watch ABC's Once Upon a Time but Lorelai reminded me a lot of Snow (and not just because they are Snow White). She's a kickass lead with a heart of gold but she also has her own flaws. I like that she isn't perfect and I like that she isn't defenceless and requires a "prince" to save her from her troubles. And the same can be said about Kol--he isn't some flawless character either.

The cast as a whole was a lot of fun. It was easy to root for the good guys and despise the bad guys (you always need a good villain). They were all so likeable to me and that made me want to read more about their story. And there were some heartwarming moments as well.

Somewhere around the latter half of the book, I started to get a little bored. Which was weird because things were happening--it wasn't like the characters were just sitting around waiting; there was plenty of action. I think I just wanted to get to the climax that little bit sooner. One plot device in particular seemed like it was just regurgitated in a slightly different way after it had been resolved and that really slowed down the story for me.

Otherwise, the pacing was great and the story kept my attention.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p7hLUw-1Sg
Actual Rating: 4/5 ( )
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
For nine years Loreli and her brother have been on the run from their evil stepmother, Queen Irina who killed their father and assumed (stole) the throne of Ravenspire. These nine years, Queen Irina has grown weak, the magic she uses to bewitch the land and the people in it to bend to her will, has taken its toll. In a neighboring kingdom of Eldr, Prince Kol suddenly finds himself King after his family his killed in a ogre attack. Unable to fend off the beasts and fearing the destruction of his kingdom, he takes off for Ravenspire to strike a deal with Queen Irina. The price for her magic is steep, kill the lost Princess Loreli. Both young royals find themselves in a terrible battle of self will and preservation, but can they pool their talents and resources to defeat Queen Irina and restore their respective kingdoms to peace, or will she fare too formidable of a foe?

This book absolutely came alive on the pages. Everything from the characters, Ravenspire and surrounding lands, the intense and fierce battles, the devastation and heartbreak - it all just radiated from the pages. Redwine has such a rich and vibrant writing style, I was immediately immersed (addictively so) within the books pages, wresting myself back to reality (begrudgingly) when real life called. Lorelei was fierce, brave, selfless, and strong all things that make an enjoyable heroine. I loved that she was the one who saved Kol, countless times; no damsel in distress here, she definitely kicked ass! The Draconi were fantastically unique, adding another dimension to the plot and Kol as a character which was fun. Now I have to add Draconi to my list of fictional future husbands... *sigh*..... Although seemingly heartless and wicked to the core, I was surprised to find our villainess, Irina, written with glimpse of humanity as well. While I wasn't rooting for her by any stretch of the imagination, I did feel a sense of pity for her throughout most of the book. If only she didn't let her hunger for power consume her, her life could have been so much different. 10000000/10 would recommend this read to any lover of a fairytale retelling. Absolutely enchanting in all the best ways! ( )
  courtneygiraldo | Jan 11, 2018 |
The kingdom of Ravenspire was a prosperous land with a loving king and queen. However, when their beloved queen dies and a new one takes her place, things start to change. Every evening the castle staff eat apples, the queen cast a spell on these apples and they make whoever eats them want to follow her every command. The only one who isn't affected by this spell is little Lorelei, the future queen of Ravenspire. One night she undoes Irina's spell, and in turn, the queen kills her father and destroys the castle. Lorelei, her brother Leo, and the captain of the guard Gabril barely escape with their lives and go into hiding for nine years. During this time they raid wagons and gain the trust of the people of the kingdom. Meanwhile, in the neighboring kingdom of Elder, Kolvansimir, second in line to the throne, is struck with grief after his parents and older brother are killed in the battlefront against the ogres attacking his kingdom. Once a playful trickster, now a king, Kol knows he has to do something for his people, the Draconi, who have the ability to turn into dragons- also have two hearts. He goes to Irina to make a deal, he will pay to feed the desperate people of her kingdom, and she will seal away the ogres attacking his homeland. On his way, a girl, her brother, and a mysterious man save his life and the lives of his friends. So when the queen twists her words and makes him do whatever she says, he does until he realizes that the princess he's supposed to kill, is the girl who saved his life. In a battle of magic and will, Irina and Lorelai fight for the land indirectly at first, but it leads up to the final fight, where Lorelai sacrifices herself to save Kol- who is completely under Irina's control- and Ravenspire from the evil magic within it. Kol saves her and they live in peace and harmony.
I really enjoyed this darker, exciting version of Snow White. It was absolutely awesome, and I'm happy that I got it because it was just a random book off the shelf. I would recommend this book to most of my friends. I personally like dark twists on fairy tales, so I absolutely loved this book. If you like books full of action, adventure, magic, death, and you have a bit of a dark side, this book is for you. Especially if you like other versions of fairytales. I would rate this book five stars. ( )
  PiperP.G1 | Dec 13, 2017 |

C.J. Redwineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In this retelling of Snow White follows the adventures of Lorelai, an exiled princess who is being pursued by a magic-wielding prince serving as the personal huntsman for evil queen Irina, who has charged him with bringing her Lorelai's heart.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,529,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible