The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire) by C.J.…

The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire)

by C.J. Redwine

Series: Ravenspire (1)

Cool interpretation of Snow White though I feel like this is typical. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
I loved this retelling of Snow White complete with an evil stepmother and the Huntsman. Princess Lorelai is hell-bent on getting revenge against her aunt/stepmother, the evil queen Irina for killing her family and determined to regain her rightful place on the throne. Caught in between this web of destruction is Kol, the Prince of Eldr. When he travels to Ravenspire to ask for the Queen's help, he happens upon the Princess Lorelai and now he is trapped between fulfilling the duty to his throne and following his heart.

I just love a good retelling and this one is filled with action, romance, magic, and dragons! ( )
  DMPrice | Oct 29, 2017 |
For nine years, Lorelai, Crown Princess of Ravenspire, and her younger brother Leo have been living as fugitives presumed dead. With former servant Gabril as their mentor and advisor, they have quietly been planning their challenge to the evil queen’s throne. Queen Irina, their aunt and step-mother, uses dark magic to keep control of the kingdom, draining the once productive land and impoverishing her starving subjects. Prince Kol’s kingdom, whose citizens can transform into dragons, is under attack by giant ogres who are unstoppable due to dark magic of their own. He seeks an alliance with Queen Irina and intends to trade money (which she can use to feed Ravenspire) in exchange for her magic, but the Queen has a more sinister ransom in mind. This retelling of Snow White requires no dwarves (thought it features a fierce and loyal gyrfalcon) and features a strong, capable heroine willing to risk her life to save her kingdom and adds a young prince (who is half-dragon) into the mix. The result is an engaging blend of action, adventure, and loyalties put to the test within a carefully crafted fairy tale world. Fans who appreciate a new spin on traditional fairy tales are likely to enjoy this book.

Rachel H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This was a retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. There was lots of action and adventure along with dragons and magic spells. I love the strong female protagonist. Snow White ( Lorelie) is no shrinking violet who cleans up after a bunch of messy dwarves. She is a warrior! I enjoyed this re-tooling f the original fairy tale. ( )
  asomers | Feb 5, 2017 |
I'll be honest, this probably isn't a book I would have normally went out and purchased, however, I received an ARC of 'The Wish Granter', book #2 in the Ravenspire series, and sequel to 'The Shadow Queen' and I was intrigued enough to give the series a try (great marketing by Balzer Bray). I opted to go with the audio version on audible which is my preferred format for reading high fantasy, especially book 1 in a series containing unique names and places with difficult pronunciations that would slow me down where I reading the hardcopy. The narrator, Khristine Hvam, did a good job, not a great job, I would have liked to see a bit more of a range of contrast when narrating the different characters, especially the villain, but overall she captured the essence of the story and sufficiently gave it a life and a voice. I would listen to her narration for other books in the future.

The Shadow Queen is a retelling of snow white in which Lorelai, the teenage heroine escaped the wrath of her evil aunt turned stepmother, Irina, when she was a young girl. Irina has assumed that both Lorelai and her younger brother, Leo, were killed along with their father when I Reena bewitched the kingdom and took over the crown. However, rumors of Lorelai's existence cause Irina to negotiate a blood oath with Kol - the young and newly appointed king of Elder, who has the ability to transform from human to Dragon at will -to hunt down Lorelai the rightful queen of Ravenspire, and return with her heart. The blood oath ensures that if Kol fails at this mission he will die but if he succeeds Irina has agreed to use her magic to save his people, the kingdom of Elder from the certain annihilation brought on by an opposing force that is quickly closing down upon them. To guarantee his cooperation, Irina takes Kol's human heart as collateral, leaving him with only his predatorial dragons heart, as she sends him out to do her bidding.

Will Irina succeed in destroying Lorelai, the last and only threat that could take away her crown and reclaim her birthright as the queen of Ravenspire or has Irina greatly underestimated the strength and power of Lorelai's magic and the loyalty of her friends and followers???

Overall, I rate this story with 3.5 stars. It wasn't my favorite book of all time but it wasn't horrible either. I found the characters to be a bit flat and the storyline was quite predictable, but considering this was a retelling of a fairytale I guess that was to be expected. It was entertaining enough but lacking in any real substance but I will continue to read C.J. Redwine and look forward to book 2 in the Ravenspire series, The Wish Granter, said to be a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin and from what I can tell from the synopsis, has completely different characters altogether, which is a bit of a disappointment in my opinion. I definitely highly recommend the audio version opposed to the regular print version of this book.

You can read more of my reviews on my blog
http://www.readwithme207.blogspot.com ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |

C.J. Redwineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In this retelling of Snow White follows the adventures of Lorelai, an exiled princess who is being pursued by a magic-wielding prince serving as the personal huntsman for evil queen Irina, who has charged him with bringing her Lorelai's heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible