A Worthy Pursuit by Karen Witemeyer

A Worthy Pursuit

by Karen Witemeyer

Karen Witemeyer must have a magical golden pen she's not telling anyone about. The prose throughout this sophisticated, romantic, Wild West adventure was a treasure trove sure to delight readers.

The characters: I fell in love with every single character, except the baddies, but I sure loved hating them! I'm still trying to figure out Karen's secret for creating such real-to-life, masculine heroes. My lands, but this one is swoon-worthy. *blush* His steady, determined pursuit of his love interest as well as his raw honesty and candidness make this leading man one to remember. He's the ultimate, rock hard Wild West hero, but where other novelists have tried to portray him, the effect has been a bit larger than life and too amazing to be real. Not so with Stone. No matter how many baddies he can take down with his impressive skill set, he still bleeds red and has a limit to his invulnerability, which softens the heroine's heart right up.

The plot: Alas, my copy of the book fell open to a pivotal scene and I glimpsed a spoiler early on, so I wasn't as surprised by some of the plot twists. But I'm sure others who guard their "first-read eyes" will find the plot to be a rousing page-turner.

The setting: Engrossed in the story, I only remembered the overall setting being somewhere in the "West." Probably Texas. Scenes were easily visualized and the important components of "close up" settings were effectively conveyed without encumbering the reader with too many details--a talent within itself.

The romance: Oh my. You'll just have to read it. The breaking down of walls comes very naturally but not without pain on both sides. These two hearts have waited a long time to find their match and the hesitance on either side makes the wooing so much sweeter, especially when Stone recognizes the heroine's weakness and makes it his heart's mission to fight through her pain and lead her to healing.

Karen's books are always a treat. If you've never tried any of her novels, you won't regret doing so. If you have, I don't have to tell you anything more, you'll already know this one is a worthy pursuit. :) ( )
  NatalieMonk | Jul 3, 2017 |
Former bounty hunter, Stone Hammond is on his last job before he retires from retrieving lost persons and property as a career. But in attempting to track down Lily, the missing granddaughter of a wealthy railroad baron, Stone encounters schoolmarm Charlotte Atherton who turns his easy final job on its head. When Stone learns that Charlotte has not kidnapped Lily but is instead her legal guardian, he must figure out a way to preserve the safety of the woman he's slowly coming to love and the child she's adopted.

A decent Christian romance but not my favourite of Witemeyer's bibliography that I've read thus far. It could be that my reading of the novel was disjointed (I read the first 8 chapters over a month ago but then had to return the book to the library before finishing it) and that affected my enjoyment of book. A fine read but not a recommended entry point for those trying Witemeyer for the first time. ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 4, 2017 |
Bring page one Karen packs her novel with action and emotion. I've read everyone of her books and this one was one of the best. ( )
  MargueriteMartinGray | Feb 17, 2016 |
Packed with the perfect blend of romance, emotion, faith and action, plus twinkles of humor, A Worthy Pursuit is a more than worthy read. The characters – main and supporting alike – are lifelike and skillfully developed with a depth of heart and history that feels like they are part of a series rather than merely a stand-alone novel. The message of orphans (of all ages) finding a place to belong and be loved resonates sweetly and subtly. The fast-paced action drives through the book with all the drama of Lily’s beloved dime novels but without the cheese, and the romance…. ohhhhh be still my heart, the romance!

Before I get all distracted from swooning, let’s discuss the great characters. The children will win your heart immediately, their exceptional abilities and understandable insecurities making them endearing supporting characters. “Dead-Eye Dan” and “the gnome” are nice foils-as-friends and add comic relief – plus they give Stone the opportunity to grumble which we all know we love in our heroes. (Why do we love that?) Charlotte Atherton has been burned too many times – enough that she hides behind a stiff, schoolmarm exterior instead of risking her heart again to anyone but the child prodigies in her care. And haven’t we all been there? Maybe not those exact details but the gist of it – being hurt and walling ourselves off. In Charlotte’s case, thank goodness for Stone who decided that if she was going to build a wall he was just going to have to build a door. Speaking of Stone – *dreamy sigh times 1000*. Larger than life, he is able to fight off a bobcat with his bare hands and later tenderly hold his woman with those same hands and watch the Texas sunset.

At the core of A Worthy Pursuit is a message for orphans of all ages and walks of life. No matter who else has given up on you or walked away, there will always always always be One who calls you beloved.

(I received a copy of the novel from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.) ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
My recent reading journey has included some heavy subjects and complex writing, so I was definitely in the mood for a bit of humor and sweet romance when I picked up Karen Witemeyer’s novel, A Worthy Pursuit. Stealing The Preacher was such a fun read, that I anticipated another chuckle-laden historical. However, I just could not get into this book. Not sure if it was me or what, but this one just wasn’t the book I expected.

Charlotte Atherton is an accomplished musician and teacher. Headmistress at a boarding school in Austin, Texas, she is blind-sided when her boss closes the school mid-term. Determined to protect and care for three of her students, she steals away in the night and goes into hiding. Stone Hammond is a retriever not a bounty hunter, thank you very much! But he always gets his man or in this case the 9-year old Lily who Charlotte is protecting. Twists, turns, and some dime novel heroics lead to love and a happily-ever-after.

As I said, I am not sure why A Worthy Pursuit didn’t work for me. I do know that I did not find a connection with the characters. I also didn’t laugh very much. The romance was sweet and there was lots of action involving shoot outs and runaway wagons, kidnappings and a unscrupulous grandfather. But I found myself skimming to get to the end. Others found this a great read, and I encourage you to check out the reviews on Amazon. Please note this experience did not influence me away from her books; I will definitely read more by Witemeyer.

Audience: older teens and adults.

(Thanks to Bethany House for a review copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Aug 27, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076421280X, Paperback)

A teacher on the run. A bounty hunter in pursuit. Can two enemies learn to trust each other before they both lose what they hold most dear?

Stone Hammond is the best tracker in Texas. He never comes home empty-handed. So when a wealthy railroad investor hires him to find his abducted granddaughter, Stone eagerly accepts.

Charlotte Atherton, former headmistress of Sullivan's Academy for Exceptional Youths, will do anything to keep her charges safe, especially the orphaned girl entrusted to her care. Charlotte promised Lily's mother she'd keep the girl away from her unscrupulous grandfather, and nothing will stop Charlotte from fulfilling that pledge. Not even the handsome bounty hunter with surprisingly honest eyes who comes looking for them.

When Miss Atherton produces documentation that shows her to be Lily's legal guardian, Stone must reevaluate everything he's been led to believe. Is she villain or victim?

Then a new danger forces Charlotte to trust the man sent to destroy her. Stone vows to protect what he once sought to tear apart. Besides, he's ready to start a new pursuit: winning Charlotte's heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 02:58:41 -0400)

"In 1891 Texas, teacher Charlotte Atherton is on the run to keep a little girl entrusted to her care safe, while tracker Stone Hammond is in close pursuit--until he learns the truth of the situation and discovers his heart may have a new pursuit"--

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,980,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible