The Midwife's Tale (At Home in Trinity) by…

The Midwife's Tale (At Home in Trinity)

by Delia Parr

I loved this series The Midwife's Tale (At Home in Trinity Book #1),
The Midwife's Choice (#2), The Midwife's Dilemma (#3) a midwife in 1831's. In these books, she addresses many problems women face today. I like reading about 1800 when our country was young and growing. A group of women in their community who work and pray for the betterment of their town. ( )
  JCGirl | May 4, 2016 |
So wonderful. This is the first book in a new series called At Home in Trinity. Martha is a midwife from generations of midwife's. She figured her daughter would follow in her footsteps when she runs away and joins a traveling troupe of actors. She goes off to try to find her and when she comes back to town without her daughter she is troubled to find that a new doctor is in town and trying to take her patients. She has many trials and tribulations before she might find happiness. I received this book from Bethany House for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Nov 21, 2015 |
Martha Cade is a practicing midwife in the 1830’s. Widowed for ten years, she has learned to be a strong independent woman. Her livelihood depends on her practice. She does have some family support in the way of her brother and sister-in-law who allow her to live in a room in their tavern.
While she is out of town caring for a new mother for a long period of time, she learns that her 17 year old daughter, Victoria, has run away to be a traveling performer. It was Martha’s dream she become a midwife as was her grandmother before her. For 3 months she travel’s looking for her daughter, but returns empty handed. She is ashamed of her daughter’s poor choice, and dreads facing her patients and the townspeople. Her heart is broken and as any mother would, she begins to blame herself and look at where she might have been at fault. Concerns for her child’s safety, whereabouts, and return are always on her mind, but she must go on.
Her disappointing return isn’t the only challenge she is facing. Immediately upon arriving home, she is called to a delivery only to find a new doctor has moved to town and plans to take over all future births. Martha is faced with the possibility of having to leave to make a living elsewhere. To add to her already stirring emotions, an old suitor returns who is recently widowed.
I love Martha’s character. She is very mature in dealing with conflict and opposition. Her humility and soft answer do nothing to lessen her strength to stand up for what is right. This does not mean she doesn’t feel the rejection and judgement from the town gossips and busybodies. While they might bother her, it does not change her determination. Even fictional characters can encourage us, and I was so by Martha’s unfailing faith in God and her integrity.
I was fascinated by the details of the practice of midwifery during this era. It is mind boggling to think of all the people born between now and modern medicine. I find it unbelievable when I think of the mothers, with few resources to alleviate their suffering or medical help as we know it in case of an emergency. The midwives were truly amazingly skilled women with what little they had to work with. The “modern medicine” of the time, on the other hand, was rather barbaric and the practices not always beneficial. While I completely every aspect of the book, the historical medical parts were my favorite!
This book definitely had an impact on me from a spiritual point. In looking at Martha’s Christian walk, I look at many spiritual lessons I could apply to my own life. It is a rare book that can bring you pleasure in reading it and scriptural truth at the same time!

I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have stated are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Sep 20, 2015 |
This book is set in 1830. Martha Cade is a midwife who is experiencing a life crisis. While she was attending a birth miles away from home, her daughter Victoria ran away with a travelling band of actors.

She comes home discouraged and finds a new Doctor in town who is trained on new methods of medicine. He thinks that the town does not need a midwife, leaving Martha to prove her worth and methods in healing and birthing.

I enjoyed Martha's story. She fights a mental, spiritual, and emotional battle as she struggles to find her place again in her small community. Change is hard for her to live with. She is a very strong character with a strong sense of self and courage.

There is a some mystery in the book. Someone has been burglarizing the town and the blame has been placed on a boys academy of orphans. Martha is determined to find the culprits and clear the name of the innocent.

This book has some twists and turns and made for a great read. Delia Parr does a wonderful job at laying down the setting and characters. I liked the community and the many different personalities. Many of the people are struggling with their own issues. Martha as a healer knows of their problems and tries to help them when she is able.

The romance in the book is very light, almost not present. The book says that it is the first in a series of Trinity. I hope that as new books are written that I will find out what happens with Martha and her love interest. There are other characters that I would love to get to know better. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Aug 7, 2015 |
The Midwife's Tale (At Home in Trinity *1)

By Delia Parr

This is my first Delia Parr book to read. It was a nice historical read. Midwifery intrests me, so I was excited to review this book.

The story begins with widow and midwife Martha Cade delivering a baby faraway from home. As she is going back home to Trinity she receives word her daughter has gone to join the circus. During this time period it was common for daughters to stay home until married and usually do whatever their mothers had done before them. The news of her daughter shakes Martha up, she doesn't know where her daughter is and Martha fears what the community will say and think about her. The old doctor dies and anew younger doctor comes to town and thinks there is only room for one of them.
Martha still plans to do what God has called her to do though.

I wish that the author would have gave more information about being a midwife during that time period. I enjoyed the characters and the author does well in drawing you into their lives. At times I felt the book was slow, but there are enough twists and turns to catch your attention. A good read overall. I am curious to see what the next book has in store for us. I also have to say I love the book cover it is a beautiful and peaceful picture.
Bethany House gave me a copy of the book for review. Thank you! ( )
  JamieFuentes | Jul 9, 2015 |

Christian Romance set in Seattle 1839.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,990,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible