Writer's Block by J. A. Armstrong

Writer's Block

by J. A. Armstrong

312,001,085 (3.75)None
Recently added byLexxi, Aussiewoman

I've been quite happy that I've been able to find something to put in this little box so often lately. But, I don't know what to put here now.

Part of the story takes place with Em and Addy apart, part of the story takes place with the together. What I write will be spoiler for series, but not for this story. Heck, the first chapter title "gives it away". And so . . ..

Story opens on Emmie and Addy's wedding. They get married in a wheat field, apparently. Tam and Chris are there. As are Em's parents, brothers and in-laws. If anyone connected by blood to Addy was at the wedding, I didn't notice them being mentioned. Only thing I noticed was some off-hand comment about how Addy's father was quite angry at Em at some point. It's not actually mentioned, so I guess I just have to assume that Addy's family isn't "alright" with the marriage.

Right, so. They marry. Honeymoon. Shortly thereafter Em's off to London and Paris for a part in a movie, while Addy's back working on that show titled "Off Screen" (I never did mention the show, and not sure why I would now, as a reader should already know about - as in I hope no one's reading this here review before starting the series). The show involves two women in love with each other in the 1950s. It was a love letter from Addy to Em. Hollywood being Hollywood, the higher ups at the show forced Addy to add a man as a beard, a husband to one of the woman on the show. I mention all these to note 1) Addy has writers block; 2) a week into that block the higher ups come over and say that the man and woman married on the show will have an intimate moment. Addy is quite pissed off by the suggestion.

So, this story circles around (1) marriage; (2) whether or not Tam and Chris have some kind of relationship or not; (3) Addy and Em separated by work (first with Em in England and France, then later with Addy suddenly getting inspired to write something or other and therefore being something of a ghost in the house when Em returns); (4) problems with work, i.e., the show.

Another good addition to the series. More balanced this time, sex and story scenes. By the way, I know that what they have is "love" not "sex", and that Addy has several times noted how they don't have sex. I get it. I'm going to call it graphic sex as graphic love could be an intimate a candle light dinner, or anything and everything.

As I conclude the last story currently available in the series, and foresee a longish break before another story pops up, I note that if this had been packaged together as a book, I'd probably have rated the whole thing as 5 stars. As all the imbalances I kept noting in my reviews of other parts, would not have been there. Would have been a lovely coherent balanced story. As it is . . . I'm not really sure what I'm reading here. Was there some plan at some point re: serialized novel? Or was it always going to be a series of interconnected short stories? Long short stories. I think the shortest was about 80 pages. As of now, the whole work is 360 pages in length. ( )
  Lexxi | Jun 5, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible