How to Marry a Royal Highlander by Vanessa…

How to Marry a Royal Highlander

by Vanessa Kelly

Edie, Eden Whitney, is a lovable character, full of life, energy and intriguing as a personality. Captain Alasdair Gilbride certainly things so. Edie is forever getting into trouble and gets caught in one too many escapades. Now she’s boarded off to Scotland, along with her mother to let the ton forget, if they can, that is.

Captain Alasdair offers to have them stay at his castle.
Edie doesn’t know how she’ll be able to spend five long months in Scotland with her mother who is so tiresome and Captain Alasdair who simply drives her crazy.

The captain works through his plans for Edie.

Excerpt:
Still, he’d need Edie’s help once they arrived at Blairgal Castle, which meant he had to get on her good side by then. Yes, he was a manipulative bastard and his plans for her were a tad ruthless, but he was convinced that Edie needed someone to take care of her. Every moment he spent in her company told him that he was exactly the right man for the job...

***
Once in Scotland, Edie finds Blairgal Castle fascinating, convinces herself she can win over Captain Alasdair’s father, his sister and Fergus, the captain’s cousin. She has lots to learn about the highlands and the captain’s family. She’ll find her mother, Lady Reese, is more than just an annoying, complaining travel partner. She's exceedingly entertaining. She certainly knows how to control a situation. Alasdiar's aunt is one unbalanced woman I’d not want to cross. I liked the part she played, however, adding just another layer to the complexity of highland families.

Captain Alasdair has been skirting his duties far too long. He needs to go home, face his father and face the music of a betrothal he can’t accept. The little minx, Edie, fills his mind. He’s determined somehow to get out of the betrothal to his cousin who is much too passive for him—he doesn’t love her. Edie’s difficulties play into his hands—her visit works perfectly for him. He doesn’t tell her about the betrothal, he doesn’t tell her about his father, Lord Riddick, who is stuck in medieval times, he doesn’t tell her about his cousin and the secret the family holds. All this not telling, makes an explosive, funny story, you won’t want to miss! ( )
  Eileen.Dandashi | Sep 21, 2016 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

This is the first one of this series that I’ve read, and the last one to be released, but it stands well on its own with hints of the fun to be had in the previous novels.

While not quite sure what to expect, I enjoy historical romances and the Scottish highlands offer such fodder for the romantically inclined. Imagine my surprise when I learned not only were Eden and Alasdair already constantly at odds, but that Alasdair is engaged to be married…to someone else.

As the plot unfolds, and I use the term “plot” intentionally because there are several going on in this novel, we learn that all can turn out well if only they manage to break with tradition, convince certain people to follow what they truly desire (Eden, or Edie, being one of those people), and manage to survive assassination attempts all at the same time.
Toss in Edie’s fascination with history and a grandfather who hates all English but has a soft spot for anyone as enraptured by his castle and its history as he is, and you start to get an inkling of the romp this book turns out to be.

Edie and Alec (Alasdair) are like mischievous children with their scheming and cutting repartee, but both have good hearts and a sense of honor that’s delightful even as it buries them in trouble. Edie’s mother is a wonder as she drives her daughter to pieces while Alec’s father is truly good and his grandfather a real character. Alec’s cousins are a mess of trouble with their misunderstandings and misguided acts and yet there’s something likable about each of them.

The book is a rollicking good time with interesting people in an interesting place. It’s also a complicated story where the right action and the one they long for aren’t always the same thing, or at least do not appear to be. There are explicit sexual encounters between Alec and Edie, but she holds out until there’s a thorough commitment between them…though the road still contains some serious obstacles.

I found How to Marry a Royal Highlander to be much like a game of Clue. Everyone is up to something, everyone has strong motives, and all those “up to”s conflict with each other to create enticing chaos. An enjoyable, light read.

P.S. I received this title from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  MarFisk | Jul 8, 2015 |
How To Marry A Royal Highlander is the last of the series ( I believe) and I have only read one other book from this author, and adored it, so I was really excited to get a chance to read this. There were a couple of aspects that drew me to this story, the first was that it was a Highlander romance, and ‘duh’ I will read anything to do with those sexy highlanders. They make some of the best heroes I have ever had a chance to read. Another aspect that this series has made an impact on me. I love the theme of it, and I liked that Alasdair and Eden together. They are quite the perfect match for each other. They each have similar sense of humor and the way they banter and tease each other, is so alike to one another, and you see how well the compliment each other in ways that are very unique to both of these characters. Now Alasdair’s family were one piece of work to be honest, I had many issues with them. And none of them I really ever liked except for his one cousin, I won’t reveal much about her, only that she plays a big role in the story and even from the beginning I enjoyed her character and seeing how she is with Alasdair and her treatment of Eden which is much better than the rest of her family. Now Eden’s parents are both wonderful, and I will be honest at first I hated her mother, she felt so self-righteous at times. But boy I guarantee you all, that you will be charmed by her. She has spunk and quite a bit of attitude and when her daughter is threatened….WHEW watch out boys and girls because she is like a big mama bear. I liked how these two come together, and even though it didn’t end like I would have expected, I did enjoy seeing these two find their HEA. One other quality of the story I want to mention is the “villain” Now there is one and it’s a villain you won’t see coming, I was bowled over by who actually is the person trying to destroy Eden and Alasdair, the way the story is written, the person implied is not who is actually out to kill them, and I loved the way the Kelly shocked me in this story. Made for a fully satisfying read. ( )
  addictofromance | Jul 7, 2015 |
A sparkling read!

I loved the story of this Renegade Royal, Alec (Captain Alasdair Gilbride) and his not so compliant true love Edie (Eden Whitney).
Full of intrigue, tender moments and quite a few irregular happenings.
Edie manages to get herself banished to the highlands for the rest of the season (to give time for the gossip to die down) after being caught by a hardened society gossip kissing Sir Malcolm Bannister, a notorious rake. Edie was investigating the art of kissing although really, Sir Malcolm's tongue down her throat was not what she quite had in mind!
And of course, being Edie, she walks into quite another situation in the Highlands, although Captain Alec must be held to account as it was his mistaken idea that Edie and her mother might help him with a problematic family situation at his grandfather, the Earl of Riddick's estate, Blairgal Castle. (Edie had been hoping for banishment to the family manor).
The story reads well, the action flows smoothly and the braw Scottish laird Alec, (a seemingly great lummox--though a deadly spy), is well and truly bowled over by the vivacious Edie.
Edie's Mama turns out to be a trooper and there are a couple of amusing scenes with Lady Reese well and truly doing the frosty sassenach lady.
Truly amusing and enjoyable!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: Five
Review:

"How To Marry a Royal Highlander" by Vanessa Kelly

What I liked about this novel..

I loved this historical romance story of Alec[Alasdair Gilbride] and Edie[Eden Whitney]. I will say I laughed so hard at some of the bantering that went on in this novel with Alec and Edie but also especially that of Edie's mom. I was able to catch some of Edie's feeling for Alec quite early in the read, but was quite surprise at a lots of the twist, turns and drama in this read that was so very interestingly presented by this author. The characters were all off the chart well done...being well developed, defined, portrayed, engaging and so very believable. I also liked the way this author was able to give the reader one hot steamy highlander romance story as the heroine and hero are brought together in their lively interaction throughout the read. Who knew that a horrible kiss and being snubbed by the ton would cause such a uproar that would force Edie to have to leave London for the Highlands. And that there would be plans by Edie's mom to start some match making for Edie. I found this read not only fascinating and entertaining with a good depth, a great plot but also a well paced read that will definitely keep your attention all the way till the end. ( )
  arlenadean | May 22, 2015 |

After being snubbed by the town due to one wild exploit too many, Eden Whitney relocates to the Scottish wilderness where she is faced with a new temptation--Alasdair Gilbride, the heir to a Scottish earldom--who needs her help in finding out who is trying to kill him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible