Saga, Vol. 5 by Brian K. Vaughan

Saga, Vol. 5

by Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples (Illustrator)

Hmmm... wasn't my favorite so far. These can be kind of hit or miss for me at this point. There were certainly things that I enjoyed about this book, but overall some of the previous volumes have been more memorable.

*cough* also Marko is freaking hot with facial hair. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
If you find yourself consistently having to pause to ask yourself What did I just read? Did that really just happen? there's a good chance you're reading [b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524]. Either that or [b: Annihilation|17934530|Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)|Jeff VanderMeer|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1403941587s/17934530.jpg|24946895]. It might be a bit of a toss-up.

There's a problem that arises anytime one reads a comic book series, and that is how to review the future volumes without spoiling everything. Suffice to say, this entry into the series was as powerful as the last few were. Characters live, characters die, and we learn a lot about the various choices we make and how they effect everyone around us. Sophie goes on a second quest with her erstwhile parental figures, this one involving dragons. Marko continues his quest to save his family. The rest of Marko's family? Well, they discover the difference between action and inaction and how not doing anything can be as powerful as making a choice.

But that's all just words, isn't it?

[b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524] is powerful for how human it all is, which is saying quite a lot when one of the main races are robots with televisions for heads and yet you still take them seriously. [b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524] deals with war and the way it effects civilians, but it's still a lot more than just that. It's hard to put into words, and this is a poor way of summing it all up but...

I'm glad this series exists. And I'm glad I'm reading it. I'm glad it's showing up increasingly on reading lists as well. [b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524] is something I'm very glad is popular, and I am infinitely grateful for its existence. Even if the foreshadowing is making me worry more than I thought was possible for fictional characters and their well-being. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
OMG this is getting insane! Marko is all sorts of fired up like I've never seen. And Dengo got in way over his head with the rebellion. And it's Alanna, Klara and Hazel who are going to pay for his stupidity. Just when we get the reunion we've been waiting for, there's another division. I'm trying not to spoil.

In this Volume things are really heating it. We've got three sides, one trying to keep the war going, one trying to stop it, and I'm not real sure about the third. I'm starting to wonder if anyone even knows what they're even fighting for. And my guess is the side that want to keep the war going is in it for either money or power, likely both. I just have this sinking feeling that we'll ever get a happy ending here. ( )
  Virago77 | May 1, 2018 |
This volume moved the plot along but was not as enticing as the others. I will continue with the series as i still want to see how the story unfolds but I hope the story picks up again in the next issues. ( )
  frailrouge | Mar 28, 2018 |
Ugh that ending just that ending killed me. Ok. ok, let me back up a little bit I am getting way ahead of myself. This Vol. 5 was pure epic and I know there is going to be more epicness in the other future volumes. Which I can't wait too read them all soon. But let me just say I absolutely love and enjoy Vol. 5 it also broke my heart a little bit as well. I don't want to go into too many details about Saga, Vol. 5 without giving away spoilers. But the graphic novel starts were Vol. 4 left off at. With Marko and Prince Robot trying too find and save there family's, and the both of them are working together, can you believe that the hunter and the prey working together. It is most definitely an uneasy alliance between Marko and Prince Robot but they make it worked at the end. Alana is trying to protect her family while she is being held captive by a crazy, nut, who enlist more nut jobs who called them self's I think the revolution who want the war between the two different species to stop. But I also believe they all are cold-blooded killers who don't give a rat ass too what happens to Alana family or too Prince Robot son because they have killed lots of innocent lives as well. Now all things go to crap when the revolution enter the storyline, I mean big and I really mean big terrible crap goes down. By the end, I was left heart reeling and broken for Alana and Marko. Now I am going to leave it off here without getting any more spoiler but that part of the story of Alana and Marko broke my heart just a little bit. Now there is another storyline going on at the same time in this fantastic graphic novel with Gwendolyn, Sophie, The Brad I think is her name along with Lying Cat to find a cure for The Will. Now Ohh boy they all go through one hell of events to try to get the last piece to finding the cure for The Will. They had to go to the home planet of the stalk to find the last piece of the cure, and it was not an easy task to do. By the end, I really wanted to shake Sophie so bad to her senses for what she did at the end too get the last piece of the cure. I just couldn't believe Sophie horrible and terrible bad decision that she did by the end, and, and it just left me both angry and heartbroken for The Will. That I so didn't blame him for talking to Sophie they way he did by the end of the graphic novel. Now I am going to leave it off here without getting to a spoiler, but all and all I really did love and enjoy Vol. 5 that I can't wait to read Vol. 6 soon! ( )
  KatiriaR | Mar 2, 2018 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
And finally ... twenty-five.
Collected issues 25-30 of the Saga comics.

"While Gwendolyn and Lying Cat risk everything to find a cure for The Will, Marko makes an uneasy alliance with Prince Robot IV to find their missing children, who are trapped on a strange world with terrifying new enemies"--Page 4 of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible