The Last September by Nina de Gramont

The Last September

by Nina de Gramont

An easy read, where you are set up to believe you know who the murderer is, yet what the ending is, is kinda obvious. . you already know the WHO done it. But like i said, the story of the delusional happy wife / confused widow is a fairly fast light book. Not a thinker but a good summer read.
3.5 STARS ( )
  linda.marsheells | Jul 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The story flowed and, once it caught up to the opening pages, I couldn't put it down. I thought the characters were well developed and believable. ( )
  kibosa | Jul 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recieved this book through the Early Reviewers program.

When I recieved this book, I wasn't that interested in actually reading it, yet because I had to review it, I did. I do not regret it at all, it was a great, quick read. ( )
  mp3gal | Mar 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
(Full disclosure: I received my copy of The Last September free of charge from the publisher, through LT's Early Reviewer program.)

This book was such a surprise! When I first read the description in the Early Reviewer listing, it sounded just a bit too much like "chick lit" for my taste. But I had second thoughts, and now I'm so glad I did. It's strange, though -- I thoroughly enjoyed the book, even though I really didn't find any of the central characters particularly sympathetic, and that's very unusual for me.

The plotting was intricate, but very well handled. For a while, towards the end, I was afraid de Gramont might be going astray (I don't think it's a spoiler to say the plot seemed to be heading in the direction of stereotype and cliche), but was glad to find I was very wrong about that. This was an excellent read, and one I'll definitely be recommending. ( )
  jlshall | Jan 20, 2016 |
I received an ARC through LibraryThing.
---
This was quite the interesting read. A sad love story that was doomed to fail as the lives of Charlie and Brett was slowly revealed to us through the coming chapters.

This is definitely not a total mystery novel where we are totally focused on who the killer is, well more like when the killer will be caught even though it wasn't the initial suspect in question

Eli, Charlie and Brett. The trio. It all started off with Brett and Eli, who were best friends but things quickly changed when Eli was sent away due to his medical condition (schizophrenia), but not before Charlie and Brett met.

Quite honestly, from the get go you can feel that Charlie is completely unattainable and the relationship he had with Brett was never going to last, especially beyond the support stage of dealing with the loss of his mother and taking care of Eli. But how could Brett or anyone not be drawn to the magnetic and charismatic Charlie? Like a moth to the flame, there's no resisting that allure.

This story was sad, tragic and interestingly a little uplifting. It was definitely a book that I had a hard time putting down. It's a story that makes you think, beyond the physical appearances and dig deeper into the heart of everyday issues (mental illness, affairs, family, careers and dreams).

Personally I found Eli very fascinating, so see the changes with him, not just physical but also mental. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
To Part One:  My Life had stood---a Loaded Gun--In Corners--till a Day The Owner passed---identified--And carried Me away --  Emily Dickinson
To Part Two:  It's all I have to bring today--This, and my heart beside--This, and my heart, and all the fields--And all the meadows wide -- Emily Dickinson
To Part Three:  I had a terror since September, I could tell to none; and so I sing, as the boy does of the burying ground, because I am afraid. -- Emily Dickinson
To Part Four:  In this short Life That only lasts an hour How much -- how little -- is Within our power -- Emily Dickinson
To Peter Steinberg
Because I am a student of literature, I will start my story on the day Charlie died.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nina de Gramont's book The Last September was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Nina de Gramont's book The Last September was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,107,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible